Exploring the Dynamics of Atomic Nuclei: Protons, Neutrons, and Electrons

In summary: So basically, if I had two atoms that were pushed together, it would be like they were acting as one entity because the electrons would be linked between the two?In summary, this person is trying to understand whether the movement of protons and neutrons is separate or the same in time. They are also confused about what the poll ball effect is.
0day
Physics noob here. I was wondering, is there a way to measure time delay between the movement of one part of an atom from another? Is there any?

Physics news on Phys.org
"Movement" of what part of an atom?

Zz.

I'm trying to get a better grasp on whether protons and neutrons moving are separate or the same in time.

Last edited:
0day said:
I'm trying to get a better grasp on whether protons and neutrons moving are separate or the same in time.

This is a bit puzzling.

Typically, when one asks "states of atoms", these are the electronic states.

Asking about protons and neutrons are "nuclear states".

So now I'm confused to what exactly you are asking for.

Zz.

Well electrons move at a rate that is supposed to be limited to the speed of light, so for example if a unit consisting of 2 atoms is pushed by a force, it would resemble a pool ball effect correct? But is this same effect true for neutrons and protons? Specifically is there a pool ball effect on protons and neutrons, or are they effectively linked in time?

0day said:
Well electrons move at a rate that is supposed to be limited to the speed of light, so for example if a unit consisting of 2 atoms is pushed by a force, it would resemble a pool ball effect correct? But is this same effect true for neutrons and protons? Specifically is there a pool ball effect on protons and neutrons, or are they effectively linked in time?

There are several puzzling issues here:

1. Electrons in atoms/molecules don't actually "move". The quantum description of their states do not have such a description (also see the FAQ subforum on why electrons in an atom don't crash into the nucleus).

2. I'm not sure what you mean by the poll ball effect. Are you thinking of two things colliding physically? In a solid, the simplified model of the atoms arrangement is via linking them with "springs", or as an arrangement of harmonic oscillators. This is how action, or force, is transmitted. The valence electrons are the ones involved in connecting one atom to another. The nucleons are not involved at all in all of this fun, other than collectively undergoing the translation.

3. The activity going on in the nucleus isn't as easy as you think. Often, one can't think of the protons and neutrons being separate entities while they are in the nucleus (that's why often times they are called partons). I'm just not sure to what extent do you want the details.

Zz.

Related to Exploring the Dynamics of Atomic Nuclei: Protons, Neutrons, and Electrons

1. What tools are used to observe states of atoms?

There are various tools used to observe states of atoms, such as microscopes, spectrometers, and particle accelerators. These tools allow scientists to study the behavior and properties of atoms at an atomic level.

2. How do scientists determine the states of atoms?

Scientists determine the states of atoms by measuring their energy levels, electron configurations, and other physical properties. This information can be obtained through experiments and observations using specialized equipment.

3. What are the different states of atoms?

The three main states of atoms are solid, liquid, and gas. Atoms in a solid state are tightly packed together and have little movement, while atoms in a liquid state have more freedom to move and flow. In a gas state, atoms are widely spread apart and have the most kinetic energy. There are also other states, such as plasma and Bose-Einstein condensates, which occur at extreme temperatures and pressures.

4. Why is it important to observe states of atoms?

Observing states of atoms allows scientists to better understand the fundamental building blocks of matter and how they interact with each other. This knowledge can be applied to various fields, such as materials science, chemistry, and physics, to develop new technologies and improve our understanding of the world around us.

5. Can states of atoms change?

Yes, states of atoms can change depending on external factors such as temperature and pressure. For example, water can exist in all three states (solid, liquid, and gas) depending on the temperature and pressure it is exposed to. By changing these external factors, scientists can manipulate the states of atoms and observe how they behave in different conditions.