Obtaining position in a dipole field

In summary, the conversation discusses the magnetic field generated by a dipole and whether it is possible to determine the source location of a given magnetic field. It is concluded that this is not possible due to the under-constrained nature of the problem and the fact that the magnetic field is uniform along a circular ring coaxial with the dipole.
IanBerkman
Hi all,

Consider one has a magnetic dipole, the field given by:

\begin{equation}
\vec{B} = \frac{\mu_0}{4\pi}\left(\frac{3(\vec{m}\cdot\vec{r})\vec{r}}{r^5}-\frac{\vec{m}}{r^3}\right)
\end{equation}

where we can take $$\vec{m} = m\hat{y}$$.

Let us say we have the a magnet vector which is theoretically somewhere in the dipole field. Is it possible to obtain the location where that magnet vector occurs?

To simplify things a bit, I looked at the fieldlines of a dipole, sliced through the XY plane:

220px-Magnetic_dipole_moment.jpg

If we have a magnet vector of B = a[1,1,0], the vector would lie somewhere along the line y = 2x (just a really rough approximation to get my point across). The magnitude of the vector should correspond to two points on this line due to the symmetry. However, the dipole equation becomes

\begin{equation}
a[1,1,0]^\intercal = \frac{\mu_0m}{4\pi}\left(\frac{3y\vec{r}}{r^5}-\frac{\hat{y}}{r^3}\right)
\end{equation}

Which remains quite a tough equation to solve.

What am I missing in my line of reasoning?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
IanBerkman said:
Let us say we have the a magnet vector which is theoretically somewhere in the dipole field. Is it possible to obtain the location where that magnet vector occurs?
I'm not sure if I understand your question. Are you asking that when given ##\mathbf{B}## at some location in space, if it is possible to determine the source location?

If that is your question then the answer is no. This is because for a simple magnetic dipole, the magnetic field will be uniform along a circular ring coaxial with the dipole. The problem is also under constrained considering that the field strength is a function of the dipole strength and the distance; you have neither.

NFuller said:
I'm not sure if I understand your question. Are you asking that when given ##\mathbf{B}## at some location in space, if it is possible to determine the source location?

If that is your question then the answer is no. This is because for a simple magnetic dipole, the magnetic field will be uniform along a circular ring coaxial with the dipole. The problem is also under constrained considering that the field strength is a function of the dipole strength and the distance; you have neither.

The magnetic field magnitude would be uniform along the circular ring coaxial with the dipole. However, the magnetic field vectors would be different along the ring.

Let us consider the same magnetic dipole again in the y-direction, and we know the field at a certain position is of the form B=[1,1,0]. Since this field has no z-component, the answer should lie in the XY-plane instead of on a circular ring.

The dipole strength is known since m is given.

IanBerkman said:
However, the magnetic field vectors would be different along the ring.
The magnetic field of a dipole ##\mathbf{m}=m\hat{\mathbf{z}}## in spherical coordinates is
$$\mathbf{B}=\frac{\mu_{0}m}{4\pi r^{3}}\left(2\text{cos}(\theta)\hat{\mathbf{r}}+\text{sin}(\theta)\hat{\mathbf{\theta}}\right)$$
Notice that there is no ##\phi## dependence here so the magnetic field has azimuthal symmetry. Thus ##\mathbf{B}## is constant along a ring coaxial with the z-axis.

1. What is a dipole field?

A dipole field is a type of magnetic field that is created by two opposite poles, similar to a bar magnet. It is characterized by its strength and direction, which are determined by the distance between the poles and the orientation of the poles.

2. How is a dipole field used to obtain position?

A dipole field can be used to obtain position by measuring the strength and direction of the field at a given location. This information can then be used to calculate the position of an object within the field, similar to how a compass needle can be used to determine direction.

3. What factors affect the accuracy of obtaining position in a dipole field?

The accuracy of obtaining position in a dipole field can be affected by several factors, including the strength and direction of the field, the sensitivity of the measuring instruments, and any external factors that may interfere with the field.

4. How is a dipole field different from other types of magnetic fields?

A dipole field differs from other types of magnetic fields in that it is created by two opposite poles, whereas other fields may be created by a single pole or multiple poles. Additionally, the strength and direction of a dipole field may vary depending on the distance from the poles.

5. What are some real-world applications of obtaining position in a dipole field?

The ability to obtain position in a dipole field has numerous practical applications, such as in navigation systems, geolocation, and medical imaging. It is also commonly used in research and scientific experiments to study the behavior of particles and objects in magnetic fields.