1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Occuring Events- Probabilities

1. Sep 21, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A box contains two white, two red, and two blue poker chips. Two chips are randomly chosen without replacement, and their colors are noted. Define the following events:
    A) Both chips are of the same color
    B)Both chips are red
    C)At least one chip is red or white
    Find P(A/B), P(B/A^c), P(B/C), P(A/C), P(C/A^c)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    A) So at the start there are 6 chips, probability of pulling out the first one of any color would be 6/6 then there is one less in the bag but we now need the same color as we hauled out the first time. So if you have a red one out for example there are 5 chips left and only one is red so is it 1/5 chance?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2008 #2
    Wouldnt the answer be the same for both A and B ?

4. Sep 21, 2008 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Do you understand what A and B ask? Neither A nor B asks for a probability. That is the last question in the problem (that is not labeled). A and B merely asks for a lists of the "events"- that is, a list of the pairs of chips that satisfy the conditions "two chips of the same color" for A and "two red chips" for B. No, the answers are not the same- and nothing that you said under "A)" has anything to do with the answer to A.

5. Sep 21, 2008 #4
    So for the first one it can be defined as {WW,BB,RR} because those are the chips that can satisfy the conditions?

6. Sep 21, 2008 #5
    Can someone please help me this is the easiest of 4 questions I have left I'm lost

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?