• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Occuring Events- Probabilities

• Thread starter n77ler
  • Start date

Homework Statement

A box contains two white, two red, and two blue poker chips. Two chips are randomly chosen without replacement, and their colors are noted. Define the following events:
A) Both chips are of the same color
B)Both chips are red
C)At least one chip is red or white
Find P(A/B), P(B/A^c), P(B/C), P(A/C), P(C/A^c)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

A) So at the start there are 6 chips, probability of pulling out the first one of any color would be 6/6 then there is one less in the bag but we now need the same color as we hauled out the first time. So if you have a red one out for example there are 5 chips left and only one is red so is it 1/5 chance?

Answers and Replies

Wouldnt the answer be the same for both A and B ?

HallsofIvy
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Do you understand what A and B ask? Neither A nor B asks for a probability. That is the last question in the problem (that is not labeled). A and B merely asks for a lists of the "events"- that is, a list of the pairs of chips that satisfy the conditions "two chips of the same color" for A and "two red chips" for B. No, the answers are not the same- and nothing that you said under "A)" has anything to do with the answer to A.

So for the first one it can be defined as {WW,BB,RR} because those are the chips that can satisfy the conditions?

Can someone please help me this is the easiest of 4 questions I have left I'm lost