Recursive definition construction

In summary, a recursive definition for the number of ways to stack n red, white, green, and blue poker chips so that there are no two consecutive blue poker chips is as follows: B(n) represents the number of ways to legally stack n chips ending in blue and N(n) represents the number of ways to stack n chips that do not end in blue. The recursive relationship is B(n+1) = B(n)*3 + N(n) and N(n+1) = B(n)*1 + N(n)*3. The base case is B(1) = 1 and N(1) = 3.
dystplan
Homework Statement
Construct a recursive definition for the following:

The number of ways to stack n red, white, green, and blue poker chips so that there are no two consecutive blue poker chips.

The attempt at a solution
The number of possible combinations is [itex]4^n[/itex] minus the number of combinations that involve at least two blue poker next to each other.
The number of combinations with blue poker chips next to each other for the first 6 steps is:
3 chips: BBB + BB* (x3 other chips) + *BB (x3 other chips) = 7
4 chips: BBBB + BBB* (x2 x3) + BB** (x3 x3 x3) = 34
5 chips: BBBBB + BBBB* (x2 x3) + BBB** (x3 x3 x3) + BB*** (x4 x3 x3 x3) + BB*BB (x3) = 145
6 chips: BBBBBB + BBBBB* (x2x3) + BBBB** (x3x3x3) + BBB*** (x4x3x3x3) + BB**** (x5x3x3x3x3) + BB**BB (x4x3x3) + BB*BBB (x2x3) = 1+6+27+108+405+36+6 = 589

[itex]X1 = 4[/itex]
[itex]X2 = (4)(4) -1 = 15[/itex]
[itex]X3 = 4^3 - 7 = 57[/itex]
[itex]X4 = 4^4 - 34 = 222[/itex]
[itex]X5 = 4^5 - 145 = 879[/itex]
[itex]X6 = 4^6 - 589 = 3507[/itex]

I'm fairly sure those are correct, but I can't see any recursive function

Thank-you in advance!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
That's not really very 'inductive'. Why don't you try to split the number of ways to stack into ways that end in blue and ways that don't end in blue and write an inductive step for each separately?

Dick said:
That's not really very 'inductive'. Why don't you try to split the number of ways to stack into ways that end in blue and ways that don't end in blue and write an inductive step for each separately?

You mean something like:
X1 = 4
X2 = 12 + 4 = 16;
x3 = 48 + 4*4 = 64
x4 = 192 + 4*4*4 = 256

X1 = 4
Xn = X(n-1)*4 + 4^(n-1)

The problem is that I don't see any correlation with the rate at which exclusions occur due to consecutive blue poker chips. 0, 1, 7, 34, 145 (unless I'm doing something wrong to get to that, but I don't think I am).

dystplan said:
You mean something like:
X1 = 4
X2 = 12 + 4 = 16;
x3 = 48 + 4*4 = 64
x4 = 192 + 4*4*4 = 256

X1 = 4
Xn = X(n-1)*4 + 4^(n-1)

The problem is that I don't see any correlation with the rate at which exclusions occur due to consecutive blue poker chips. 0, 1, 7, 34, 145 (unless I'm doing something wrong to get to that, but I don't think I am).

No, I mean let B(n) be the number of ways to legally stack n chips ending in blue. Let N(n) be the number of ways that don't end in blue. Can you write B(n+1) and N(n+1) in terms of B(n) and N(n)? That would be recursive.

I get
B(1) = 1
B(2) = 3
B(3) = 12
B(4) = 36
B(5) = 171
B(6) = 648

I still don't see any way that's recursive =[ This problem has been driving me nuts all day.

Where X represents any chip but B:
5 stack:
XXXXB x 81 possibilities
BXBXB x 9 possibilities
BXXXB x 27
XBXXB x 27
XXBXB x 27

6 stack:
XXXXXB x 243
XBXBXB x 27
BXXXXB x 81
XBXXXB x 81
XXBXXB x 81
XXXBXB x 81
BXBXXB x 27
BXXBXB x 27

dystplan said:
I get
B(1) = 1
B(2) = 3
B(3) = 12
B(4) = 36
B(5) = 171
B(6) = 648

I still don't see any way that's recursive =[ This problem has been driving me nuts all day.

Where X represents any chip but B:
5 stack:
XXXXB x 81 possibilities
BXBXB x 9 possibilities
BXXXB x 27
XBXXB x 27
XXBXB x 27

6 stack:
XXXXXB x 243
XBXBXB x 27
BXXXXB x 81
XBXXXB x 81
XXBXXB x 81
XXXBXB x 81
BXBXXB x 27
BXXBXB x 27

The problem isn't asking you to count them. Suppose you KNOW B(n) and N(n). Can you write B(n+1) and N(n+1) in terms of those. That's all.

The only way I know to discover B(n+1) is to have a starting place and identify a pattern to progression. I understand that the question isn't asking me to count them, but how can I calculate the recursion without a base set that indicates a recursive relationship?

Last edited:
dystplan said:
The only way I know to discover B(n+1) is to have a starting place and identify a pattern to progression. I understand that the question isn't asking me to count them, but how can I calculate the recursion without a base set that indicates a recursive relationship?

Start with a chip pile in B(n) so it ends in blue. How many ways can you add another chip? Are the resulting piles in B(n+1) or N(n+1)? Now repeat the exercise for a chip pile in N(n).

FAQ: Recursive definition construction

1. What is a recursive definition?

A recursive definition is a mathematical or computational definition that is based on itself. This means that the definition includes the term being defined in its own definition.

2. How is a recursive definition constructed?

A recursive definition is constructed by breaking down a complex problem into smaller and simpler versions of itself. The smaller versions are then used to define the larger problem until the base case, or simplest version, is reached.

3. What is the base case in a recursive definition?

The base case in a recursive definition is the simplest version of the problem that does not require further decomposition. It is the stopping condition for the recursive process.

4. What is the difference between a recursive and iterative definition?

A recursive definition is self-referential and breaks down a problem into smaller versions of itself, while an iterative definition uses a loop to repeatedly apply a rule or process to a starting point until a desired result is achieved. Recursive definitions are typically more elegant and concise, but iterative definitions may be more efficient in terms of time and memory usage.

5. What are some practical applications of recursive definitions?

Recursive definitions are commonly used in computer science and programming to solve problems that involve repetitive or self-referential tasks, such as searching, sorting, and traversing data structures. They are also used in mathematics, linguistics, and other fields to define complex concepts in terms of simpler ones.