Odd question concerning the sedimentation of particles from a plate

In summary, to simulate the fragmentation process, you will need to use Newton's Second Law of Motion to calculate the force acting on the clumps, taking into account the force of gravity and the force of the collision between the ball bearing and the plate.
rarara
Hi there,

I had clumps of particles on the underside of a plate. A ball bearing was dropped onto the plate which caused the clumps to detach and fall a short distance through still air onto a gel-coated microscope slide. Presumably, the distribution of clump sizes was altered during the fall (fragmentation). I would like to simulate the the fragmentation but I require a formula for the force acting on the clumps. I assume that most of the fragmentation occurred during the collision between the ball bearing and the plate. Could anyone advise me on how to approach this problem.

Thank you

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
for your question. The force acting on the clumps during the fragmentation process can be calculated through the use of Newton's Second Law of Motion, which states that the force acting on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. In this case, the force acting on the clumps would be the sum of the force of gravity (which is equal to the mass of the clump times the gravitational constant) and the force of the collision between the ball bearing and the plate. To calculate the force of the collision between the ball bearing and the plate, you would need to know the mass of both objects, the angle of the collision, and the velocity of the ball bearing at the time of impact. Once you have these variables, you can use the equation F = m1v1 + m2v2 - m1v2 cos(θ), where F is the total force, m1 is the mass of the ball bearing, v1 is the velocity of the ball bearing, m2 is the mass of the clump, v2 is the velocity of the clump, and θ is the angle of the collision. I hope this information helps.

Related to Odd question concerning the sedimentation of particles from a plate

1. How does sedimentation occur on a plate?

Sedimentation on a plate occurs when particles in a liquid settle down and accumulate on the surface of the plate over time. This process is driven by gravity, with heavier particles settling faster than lighter particles.

2. What factors affect the rate of sedimentation?

The rate of sedimentation can be affected by various factors such as the density and size of the particles, the viscosity of the liquid, the shape and size of the plate, and the strength of the gravitational force.

3. Can sedimentation on a plate be reversed?

Yes, sedimentation on a plate can be reversed through a process called resuspension. This involves agitating the liquid, which causes the settled particles to become suspended again and redistribute evenly in the liquid.

4. What are the applications of studying sedimentation on a plate?

Studying sedimentation on a plate can have various applications in fields such as geology, environmental science, and chemical engineering. It can help understand the formation of sedimentary rocks, monitor water quality, and optimize industrial processes involving sedimentation.

5. How does sedimentation on a plate differ from sedimentation in a tube?

Sedimentation on a plate and in a tube have some similarities, but there are also significant differences. In a tube, sedimentation occurs in a confined space, while on a plate, it occurs on a larger surface area. The settling rate on a plate is also affected by the shape and size of the plate, which is not a factor in tube sedimentation.