Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Odds of dying

1. Dec 13, 2004 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

[selected examples show the lifetime odds of each as the cause of death]

Animal rider or occupant of animal-drawn vehicle: 1:31,836
    Falls of all kinds: 1:246
    Fall...from slipping, tripping, and stumbling: 1:6,548
    Contact with hot tap-water: 1:64,788
    Contact with hornets, wasps and bees: 1:85,882
    Narcotics and psychodysleptics [hallucinogens]: 1:567
    Other and unspecified drugs, medicaments, and biologicals: 1:666
    Alcohol: 1:12,188
    Intentional self-harm [of all kinds]: 1:121
    Falling, jumping, or pushed from a high place: 1:47,960
    Legal intervention involving firearm discharge: 1:11,433
    Legal execution: 1:58,618

Many more:
    http://www.nsc.org/lrs/statinfo/odds.htm

So the good news is that you are more likely to be legally shot and killed than you are to fall, jump, or to be pushed from a high place, or to die from alcohol related causes. :biggrin:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 13, 2004 #2

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ooh, what a cheerful topic. You really have been spending a lot of time thinking about your relatives! :biggrin:

4. Dec 13, 2004 #3
    I wonder, if you add all those up does it come out to 1:1 odds of dying?

5. Dec 13, 2004 #4

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Probably not. There are those who are uniquely talented and can have more than one of those happen at the same time so that you can't rule any out for cause of death. You know, like the drunken guy who gets stung by a swarm of hornets and falls off the ladder into a kettle of boiling water. :biggrin:

6. Dec 13, 2004 #5
    that's how I lost my dad.

7. Dec 13, 2004 #6

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:frown: *slowly shaking head* Tragic when that happens. I was betting it was just the sort of way you'd be likely to meet your demise; must run in the family. Sad, truly.

:frown: :bugeye: :frown: :bugeye: :uhh: :redface: :bugeye: :biggrin: :tongue2:

8. Dec 13, 2004 #7

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Choking to death on piece of frozen brocolli: 1:365,711

9. Dec 13, 2004 #8
    that's how I lost mom. You heartless, heartless people

10. Dec 13, 2004 #9

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Choking to death on a piece of frozen brocolli on Halloween after visiting Ivan's house: 1: 2974

:rofl:

11. Dec 13, 2004 #10
    and how many people have joined PF? do we have a future bee sting fatality hanging out?

12. Dec 13, 2004 #11

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Probably me. You're not supposed to be allergic to bee stings on the first sting, but I got stung near my ankle about two years ago (how I managed to never get stung before that, I have no idea) and my whole foot swelled up rather painfully. I don't think that bodes well for me since my dad was one of those so allergic we had to rush him straight to the nearest emergency room as soon as he got stung.

13. Dec 13, 2004 #12
    I am so scared of Killer Bees.
    A couple of years ago I rolled over in bed onto a bee and it felt like someone was putting out a cigar on my back. again

14. Dec 13, 2004 #13

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Didn't your mom warn you about sleeping around with those bees? They're nothing but trouble.

15. Dec 13, 2004 #14

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No, that would suggest a thread dedicated entirely to jumping off of a cliff. :biggrin:

16. Dec 13, 2004 #15

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Don't you realize that it's one of natures most hazardous foods? It even tries to warn you with its repulsive green color!

17. Dec 13, 2004 #16
    Intentional Self Harm with a Firearm, 1:219

I do not understand how the odds can be 1:219. Do that many people shoot themselves intentionally and live?

18. Dec 13, 2004 #17

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No, these numbers are correlated to causes of death.

It means that each American [raw statistics here] has a 1:219 chance of committing suicide by using a gun.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2004
  19. Dec 13, 2004 #18
    Ok, that makes more sense lol

Hmm looking at your first post again, I guess I just need to learn how to read and I will be fine.

20. Dec 13, 2004 #19
    and they called me crazy when i said drugs were of the devil.

some of those were much lower than what i expected. much lower.

21. Dec 14, 2004 #20

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There was one guy at Frito Lay, in Texas, that died by drowning in a tower filled with cooking oil. I knew of another guy that was almost crisped to death! He slipped and his right leg went into a large vat of cooking oil; while deep frying tater chips. His leg was said to be crispy and golden brown. :yuck: Still, he nearly fell in completely. What a way to go.

I do a lot of work with heavy industry. Some of the stories I hear... :eek: Luckily the odds of such events depend a lot on one's job. IMO, high voltage electricians are nuts...in fact, all industrial electricians are nuts!!!

My dad knew of a guy [during the Korean War] who was sucked out of a plane while he was sleeping. I remember trying to imagine what it would be like to wake up while falling in the dark at 30,000 ft. :uhh:

And no Moonbear, I ran across this while trying to find the odds of death by meteor strike - another thread. This is not a family thing. :biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?