Odds of Dying from External Causes

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary, the odds of dying from various external causes are affected by the activities in which we participate, where we live and drive, what kind of work we do, and other factors.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
...The odds given below are statistical averages over the whole U.S. population and do not necessarily reflect the chances of death for a particular person from a particular external cause. Any individual's odds of dying from various external causes are affected by the activities in which they participate, where they live and drive, what kind of work they do, and other factors...
[selected examples show the lifetime odds of each as the cause of death]

Animal rider or occupant of animal-drawn vehicle: 1:31,836
Falls of all kinds: 1:246
Fall...from slipping, tripping, and stumbling: 1:6,548
Contact with hot tap-water: 1:64,788
Contact with hornets, wasps and bees: 1:85,882
Narcotics and psychodysleptics [hallucinogens]: 1:567
Other and unspecified drugs, medicaments, and biologicals: 1:666
Alcohol: 1:12,188
Intentional self-harm [of all kinds]: 1:121
Falling, jumping, or pushed from a high place: 1:47,960
Legal intervention involving firearm discharge: 1:11,433
Legal execution: 1:58,618

Many more:
http://www.nsc.org/lrs/statinfo/odds.htm

So the good news is that you are more likely to be legally shot and killed than you are to fall, jump, or to be pushed from a high place, or to die from alcohol related causes. :biggrin:

Physics news on Phys.org
Ooh, what a cheerful topic. You really have been spending a lot of time thinking about your relatives! :biggrin:

I wonder, if you add all those up does it come out to 1:1 odds of dying?

Probably not. There are those who are uniquely talented and can have more than one of those happen at the same time so that you can't rule any out for cause of death. You know, like the drunken guy who gets stung by a swarm of hornets and falls off the ladder into a kettle of boiling water. :biggrin:

that's how I lost my dad.

tribdog said:
that's how I lost my dad.

:frown: *slowly shaking head* Tragic when that happens. I was betting it was just the sort of way you'd be likely to meet your demise; must run in the family. Sad, truly.

:frown: :bugeye: :frown: :bugeye: :uhh: :redface: :bugeye: :biggrin: :tongue2:

Choking to death on piece of frozen brocolli: 1:365,711

that's how I lost mom. You heartless, heartless people

Math Is Hard said:
Choking to death on piece of frozen brocolli: 1:365,711

Choking to death on a piece of frozen brocolli on Halloween after visiting Ivan's house: 1: 2974

:rofl:

and how many people have joined PF? do we have a future bee sting fatality hanging out?

tribdog said:
and how many people have joined PF? do we have a future bee sting fatality hanging out?

Probably me. You're not supposed to be allergic to bee stings on the first sting, but I got stung near my ankle about two years ago (how I managed to never get stung before that, I have no idea) and my whole foot swelled up rather painfully. I don't think that bodes well for me since my dad was one of those so allergic we had to rush him straight to the nearest emergency room as soon as he got stung.

I am so scared of Killer Bees.
A couple of years ago I rolled over in bed onto a bee and it felt like someone was putting out a cigar on my back. again

Didn't your mom warn you about sleeping around with those bees? They're nothing but trouble.

Moonbear said:
Ooh, what a cheerful topic. You really have been spending a lot of time thinking about your relatives! :biggrin:

No, that would suggest a thread dedicated entirely to jumping off of a cliff. :biggrin:

Choking to death on a piece of frozen brocolli

Don't you realize that it's one of natures most hazardous foods? It even tries to warn you with its repulsive green color!

Intentional Self Harm with a Firearm, 1:219

I do not understand how the odds can be 1:219. Do that many people shoot themselves intentionally and live?

No, these numbers are correlated to causes of death.

It means that each American [raw statistics here] has a 1:219 chance of committing suicide by using a gun.

Last edited:
Ok, that makes more sense lol

Hmm looking at your first post again, I guess I just need to learn how to read and I will be fine.

Ivan Seeking said:
The odds given below are statistical averages over the whole U.S. population and do not necessarily reflect the chances of death for a particular person from a particular external cause.

Ivan Seeking said:

and they called me crazy when i said drugs were of the devil.

some of those were much lower than what i expected. much lower.

There was one guy at Frito Lay, in Texas, that died by drowning in a tower filled with cooking oil. I knew of another guy that was almost crisped to death! He slipped and his right leg went into a large vat of cooking oil; while deep frying tater chips. His leg was said to be crispy and golden brown. :yuck: Still, he nearly fell in completely. What a way to go.

I do a lot of work with heavy industry. Some of the stories I hear... :eek: Luckily the odds of such events depend a lot on one's job. IMO, high voltage electricians are nuts...in fact, all industrial electricians are nuts!

My dad knew of a guy [during the Korean War] who was sucked out of a plane while he was sleeping. I remember trying to imagine what it would be like to wake up while falling in the dark at 30,000 ft. :uhh:

And no Moonbear, I ran across this while trying to find the odds of death by meteor strike - another thread. This is not a family thing. :biggrin:

Since so many people can be killed by a big meteor strike aren't the odds pretty high?

Yes, IIRC, it is estimated as about the same as the lifetime chance of dying in plane crash.

I could give better odds.

Ivan Seeking said:
[selected examples show the lifetime odds of each as the cause of death]

Animal rider or occupant of animal-drawn vehicle: 1:31,836
Falls of all kinds: 1:246
Fall...from slipping, tripping, and stumbling: 1:6,548
Contact with hot tap-water: 1:64,788
Contact with hornets, wasps and bees: 1:85,882
Narcotics and psychodysleptics [hallucinogens]: 1:567
Alcohol: 1:12,188
Intentional self-harm [of all kinds]: 1:121
Falling, jumping, or pushed from a high place: 1:47,960
Legal intervention involving firearm discharge: 1:11,433
Legal execution: 1:58,618

Many more:
http://www.nsc.org/lrs/statinfo/odds.htm

So the good news is that you are more likely to be legally shot and killed than you are to fall, jump, or to be pushed from a high place, or to die from alcohol related causes. :biggrin:
If these things are hardly killing anyone in particular then what in tarnation is getting everybody? :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm amazed that almost 1% of the population dies by suicide. Wow.

- Warren

tribdog said:
I wonder, if you add all those up does it come out to 1:1 odds of dying?

No. Because they only list deaths due to external causes (accident/injury) and not other causes of death.

According to Understanding on The Science Channel [SCI], base jumping may have a fatality rate as high as 1 death per 2000 jumps. While defending the logic of this sport, a base jumper objects to this statistic on the basis that more people die from bee stings each year than base jumping. :rofl:

Okay... Why am I thinking of Darwin?

In spirit of this cheerful post, here are more
selected ways of dying from
http://www.travelfinders.com/html/insurance.html

Odds of dying while in the bath tub- 1 in a million

Odds of being killed by space debris- 1 in 5 billion

Odds of being killed by freezing- 1 in 3 million

Odds of being killed by falling out of bed- 1 in 2 million

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the more obscure ones

Odds of being killed by paper cut- 1:19000000
by a rabid marsupial- 1:22000000
spontaneous combustion- 1:9992934432
by ow...AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Edit: we are sorry to say that we must revise this statistic
odds of dying by spontaneous combustion- 2:9992934432
RIP tribdog

Odds of dying while chasing car tire on moving vehicle:
Lifetime average - 1:1,000,000,000
Tribdog - 1:2

jimmy p said:
I could give better odds.

:rofl: You really should have been put up for a "Gambling Guru" award!

Ivan Seeking said:
Odds of dying while chasing car tire on moving vehicle:
Lifetime average - 1:1,000,000,000
Tribdog - 1:2

:rofl:

So, if people jumping out of planes cite beestings as more dangerous, what statistics do beekeepers cite to justify what they do? "Well, at least we're not like that tribdog character who's likely to die from all of the above simultaneously." :biggrin:

btw, that was base jumping...you know, that really sane sport where you jump off of tall buildings, bridges, and cliffs.

if you are afraid of dying by a terrorist bomb. then you have to carry a bomb with you every time ready to detonate at detection of another explosion... the probabilities of dying from 2 diferent bombs at the same time is really small. :rofl:

you know what they say about one in a million occurances, they happen 9 times out of 10.