Homework Question: Can this ODE be solved using separation of variables?

• Thread starter Saladsamurai
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ode
In summary, the homework statement is that you are looking for a trick to integrate directly by writing one side as a derivative. You are getting to the point with this DE's that you like to look for 'tricks' that allow you to integrate directly by writing one side as a derivative. However, you are not sure how to solve (6) as it is very nonlinear.
Saladsamurai

Homework Statement

I have the following ODE:

[tex]
\frac{d(f^2g)}{dx} = \frac{b}{fg}\qquad(1)
[/tex]

Where b is a known constant, f is an unknown function of x that I am seeking, and g is a known function of x.

Now, my next step was to actually plug in my known function of g(x), carry out the differentiation and seek a solution to that ODE. But I am getting to the point with this DE's that I like to look for 'tricks' that allow me to integrate directly by writing one side as a derivative. I was wondering if that could be done here? If I write (1) as [tex]
f\frac{d(f^2g)}{dx} = \frac{b}{g}\qquad(2)
[/tex]

I was thinking that the left side could be written in the form dP/dx.

Any thoughts? Is this worth the time?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You can try to set

[tex] d \left( \frac{1}{2} e^m f^3 g^2 \right) =e^m f g ~d(f^2g).[/tex]

I seem to find [tex]m=f^2/4[/tex]. This is just the standard use of an integrating factor.

Meh, screw the trick ... I plugged in for g(x) and it's a nightmare, so I doubt there is a trick. Let's see if we can just solve the ODE.

g(x) =ax1/2 so that (2) becomes:

[tex]

af\frac{d(f^2x^{1/2})}{dx} = \frac{b}{ax^{1/2}}\qquad(3)

[/tex]

Carrying out the differentiation:

[tex]

f\left [ f^2(1/2)x^{-1/2} + x^{1/2}(2)f\frac{df}{dx}\right ] = \frac{b}{a^2x^{1/2}}\qquad(4)

[/tex]

[tex]

\Rightarrow\frac{f^3}{2x^{1/2}} + 2x^{1/2}f\frac{df}{dx} = \frac{b}{a^2x^{1/2}}
\qquad(5)

[/tex]

[tex]

\Rightarrow f^3 + 4xf\frac{df}{dx} - A = 0
\qquad(6)

[/tex]

where [itex]A = \frac{2b}{a^2}[/itex]

I'm not really sure how to solve (6) as it is very nonlinear ... any thoughts?

EDIT: didn't see you there fzero :smile: Not sure which is easier :redface: Solving yours, or (6) .

I think my trick might not be too helpful, since you're still left with

[tex]\int e^m dx[/tex]

to deal with.

Saladsamurai said:
Meh, screw the trick ... I plugged in for g(x) and it's a nightmare, so I doubt there is a trick. Let's see if we can just solve the ODE.

[tex]\Rightarrow f^3 + 4xf\frac{df}{dx} - A = 0
\qquad(6)[/tex]

where [itex]A = \frac{2b}{a^2}[/itex]

I'm not really sure how to solve (6) as it is very nonlinear ... any thoughts?

That looks like it's separable.

[tex](6)\Rightarrow f^2 + 4x\frac{df}{dx} - \frac{A}{f} = 0[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow\ \frac{df}{\displaystyle \frac{A}{f}-f^2} = \frac{dx}{4x}[/tex]

1. What is ODE?

ODE stands for Ordinary Differential Equations. It is a mathematical concept used to describe the relationship between a function and its derivatives. This is commonly used in the field of science and engineering to model and predict various phenomena.

2. How is ODE used in science?

ODE is used in science to model and understand complex systems and phenomena. It is commonly used in fields such as physics, chemistry, biology, and engineering to study and predict the behavior of systems over time.

3. What is the trick in ODE?

The "trick" in ODE refers to the various methods and techniques used to solve these differential equations. Depending on the complexity and type of ODE, different tricks may be used such as separation of variables, substitution, or using specific formulas.

4. Is ODE difficult to understand?

ODE can be challenging to understand at first, as it involves advanced mathematical concepts and techniques. However, with practice and understanding of the underlying principles, it can become easier to grasp and apply in various scientific fields.

5. Can ODE be applied to real-life situations?

Yes, ODE is widely used in various real-life situations such as predicting weather patterns, analyzing population growth, and modeling chemical reactions. It is a valuable tool in understanding and predicting complex systems and phenomena in the world around us.