1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

ODE Problem

1. Aug 14, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider a mechanical system describe by the conservative 2nd-order ODE
    [itex]\frac{\partial^{2}x}{\partial t^{2}}=f(x)[/itex]
    (which could be non linear). If the potential energy is [itex]V(x)=-\int^{x}_{0} f(\xi) d \xi[/itex], show that the system satisfies conservation of energy [itex]\frac{1}{2}x^{2}+V(x)=E[/itex] (E is a constant).

2. Relevant equations
    As above.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've missed almost everything we've done on ODEs, so I don't really have any idea how to being. Even knowing what to call the problem, or a link to some notes/worked examples/relevant textbook would be great. I think the start is to define:
    [itex]x(t)=\begin{array}{c}
    x_{1}(t) \\
    x_{2}(t) \\
    \end{array}[/itex]
    Then sub into the first equation:
    [itex]\frac{\partial^{2} x_{1}}{\partial t^{2}}=f_{1}(x_{1},x_{2})[/itex]
    [itex]\frac{\partial^{2} x_{2}}{\partial t^{2}}=f_{2}(x_{1},x_{2})[/itex]
    Now I think I should use the chain rule, and integrate equation 2, but I can't see how.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 14, 2011 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

I think you mean [itex]\frac{1}{2}\dot{x}^2 + V(x) = E[/itex]. Just integrate the original equation with respect to x. You'll want to use the chain rule to evaluate the integral on the LHS.

4. Aug 14, 2011 #3
    I just checked, it's definitely [itex]\frac{1}{2}x^{2}+V(x)=E[/itex]. I did have to fix the V(X) and the domain of the integration.

You're saying do this?
    [itex]\int f(x) dx = \int \frac{\partial^{2}x}{\partial t^{2}} dx[/itex]
    [itex] \int \frac{\partial^{2}x}{\partial t^{2}} dx = \int \frac{\partial}{\partial t} ( \frac{\partial x}{\partial t} ) dx [/itex]
    The problem is I have no idea how to apply the chain rule to this case.

5. Aug 14, 2011 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

That can't be right. It would only hold if V(x)=-1/2 x2+V0. The first term is supposed to be the kinetic energy, so it needs to depend on v2, not x2.
    You want to use
    [tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial t} = \frac{\partial x}{\partial t} \frac{\partial}{\partial x}[/tex]

6. Aug 14, 2011 #5
    Ah thanks, that should be great help.

You can view the assignment here http://www.maths.utas.edu.au/People/Forbes/KYA314Ass2in2011.pdf [Broken]. Question 2. (a) is the one in question. I think I've typed it correctly though.

Edit: I have confirmed it is not a typo.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  7. Aug 14, 2011 #6

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

That's a typo for sure.

8. Aug 15, 2011 #7

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

For problems like these, "conservation of energy" arises from using "quadrature" on the differential equation.

That is, if x''= f(x), a function of x, only, we can let v= x' and then use the chain rule:
    [tex]\frac{d^2x}{dt^2}= \frac{dv}{dt}= \frac{dv}{dx}\frac{dx}{dt}= v\frac{dv}{dx}[/tex]
    so that our equation x''= f(x) becomes v v'= f(x) where the differentiation is now with respect to x:
    [tex]v\frac{dv}{dx}= f(x)[/tex]
    [tex]v dv= f(x)dx[/tex]
    [tex]\frac{1}{2}v^2= \int_0^x f(x)dx+ C[/tex]
    [tex]\frac{1}{2}v^2- \int_0^x f(x)dx= C[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook