1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

ODE (solve for particular integral) am i right?

1. Feb 24, 2009 #1
    ODE (solve for particular integral) am i right??

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    That is all the examples that i know to determine the particular solution.
    are all of them correct? Note: e= exponent

a)x^3 ==> Ax^3 + Bx^2 + Cx + D
    b)xe^2 ==> e^2(Ax +B)
    c)sin x ==> Asin x + Bcos x
    d)cos x ==> Asin x + Bcos x
    e)sin x + cos x ==> Asin x + Bcos x + Csin x + Dcos x
    f)sin x + xcos x ==> Asin x + Bcos x + (Cx+D)sin x + (Ex+F)cos x
    g)x^2(sin x) ==> (Ax+B)sin x + (Cx+D)cos x
    h)e^x (sin x) ==> e^x( Asin x + Bcos x)
    2. Relevant equations
    Am i right?
    is it still got another type of particular?
    that is all i know only.

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 24, 2009 #2
    Re: ODE (solve for particular integral) am i right??

that looks about right, except for e) and g). also, on b, it it supposed to be xe^(2x)?

on e), if you factor your answer you get
    Asin x + Bcos x + Csin x + Dcos x = sinx(A+C) + cosx(B+D). since A, B, C, D are just constants, you can tell that you don't realy need the C or the D.

on g), you're missing an x^2 term.

4. Feb 24, 2009 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Re: ODE (solve for particular integral) am i right??

One caveat: If a function of that form is already a solution to the associated homogeneous equation, then you will need to multiply by 4.

For example, if the problem is y"- 5y'+ 6y= ex, so the characteristic equation is r2- 5r+ 6= (r- 3)(r- 2)= 0, which has roots 2 and 3, so that the solutions to the homogeneous equation are e2x and e3x, then, yes, I would try a particular solution of the form y= Aex.

But if the problem is y"- 4y'+ 3y= ex, so the characteristic equationj is r2- 4r+ 3= (r-1)(r- 3)= 0, which has roots 1 and 3, so that the solutions to the homogeneous equation are ex and e3x, then Aex will give 0, not ex, for any A. Now I would try y= Axex.

If the problem is y"- 2y'+ y= ex, so that the characteristic equation is r2- 2r+ 1= (r-1)2= 0, which has 1 as double root, so that the solutions to the homogeneous equation are ex and xex, then I would have to tr Ax2ex.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook