ODEs: Word problem involving (I think) phase lines

In summary, by introducing a "harvesting term" to the population system, we can drive the population of rats on the farm to zero for any initial population. This can be achieved by setting the harvesting term to the smallest possible value that will result in a negative derivative for any positive population value.
malenkylizard

Homework Statement

If the population y of rats on a farm at time t (in weeks) satisfies:
dy/dt = -y(y-100)/50
then how many rats per week should be killed to eradicate the population?

Homework Equations

None known.

The Attempt at a Solution

The ODE dy/dt is autonomous, so I can use a phase line.
I found the equilibrium points to be at y=0 and y=100, and found that for the interval 0<y<100, solutions were increasing, and for both the intervals 100<y<%infinity, and -%infinity<y<0, solutions were decreasing, but the third interval is probably undefined, since a negative population is not feasible.

And now I'm lost. I don't know what to do after I've worked this out! Thanks in advance for your hints.

Physics news on Phys.org
We want to modify the population system by "harvesting" rats (as population dynamics people so delicately put it) in each "time step" so that the population y will be driven to zero for any initial population. As things stand now, y = 0 is an unstable equilibrium ( dy/dt > 0 ), repelling the population toward the stable equilibrium of y = 100 ( dy/dt > 0 for y < 100 , dy/dt < 0 for y > 100 ). So, after some time has passed, the farm should expect to have to cohabit with 100 rats.

We introduce a so-called "harvesting term" H which equals the number of rats per week we shall... okay, kill! The differential equation is now

[tex] \frac{dy}{dt} = \frac{y \cdot (y-100)}{50} - H .[/tex]

If we graph this and pick some positive value like, say, H = 10 (exterminate 10 rats a week), we'll see that the equilibria have moved. The important thing is that now dy/dt < 0 at y = 0 , so this population level is now in an "attractive" region, instead of a "repelling" one. Unfortunately, there is still a stable (attracting) equilibrium at some positive y value. Unacceptable! What is the smallest value we can make H (remember, we have to keep an integer number of rats) so that dy/dt < 0 for any positive value of y . This will guarantee that for any initial rat population the farm has, the number of rats will ultimately fall to zero.

1. What are ODEs?

ODEs stand for ordinary differential equations, which are mathematical equations that describe the relationship between a function and its derivatives. They are commonly used in physics, engineering, and other sciences to model systems that change over time.

2. What is a phase line?

A phase line is a graphical representation of a solution to an ODE. It shows the behavior of the solution over time, with the independent variable plotted on the horizontal axis and the dependent variable on the vertical axis. The shape and direction of the line can provide information about the stability and behavior of the system.

3. How are phase lines used in word problems involving ODEs?

In word problems involving ODEs, phase lines are used to visualize the system and its behavior over time. They can help determine the stability of the system, identify key points or critical values, and make predictions about the behavior of the system in the future.

4. Can phase lines be used for non-linear ODEs?

Yes, phase lines can be used for both linear and non-linear ODEs. However, the interpretation of the phase line may differ for non-linear ODEs as the behavior of the solution may not follow a simple pattern.

5. How can I solve a word problem involving ODEs using phase lines?

To solve a word problem involving ODEs using phase lines, you will first need to identify the ODE and its initial conditions. Then, you can use techniques such as separation of variables or substitution to find the solution to the ODE. Once you have the solution, you can plot it on a phase line and analyze its behavior to answer the given word problem.