1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

ODEs: Word problem involving (I think) phase lines

1. Sep 20, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If the population y of rats on a farm at time t (in weeks) satisfies:
    dy/dt = -y(y-100)/50
    then how many rats per week should be killed to eradicate the population?

2. Relevant equations
    None known.

3. The attempt at a solution
    The ODE dy/dt is autonomous, so I can use a phase line.
    I found the equilibrium points to be at y=0 and y=100, and found that for the interval 0<y<100, solutions were increasing, and for both the intervals 100<y<%infinity, and -%infinity<y<0, solutions were decreasing, but the third interval is probably undefined, since a negative population is not feasible.

And now I'm lost. I don't know what to do after I've worked this out! Thanks in advance for your hints.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2011 #2

dynamicsolo

Homework Helper

We want to modify the population system by "harvesting" rats (as population dynamics people so delicately put it) in each "time step" so that the population y will be driven to zero for any initial population. As things stand now, y = 0 is an unstable equilibrium ( dy/dt > 0 ), repelling the population toward the stable equilibrium of y = 100 ( dy/dt > 0 for y < 100 , dy/dt < 0 for y > 100 ). So, after some time has passed, the farm should expect to have to cohabit with 100 rats.

We introduce a so-called "harvesting term" H which equals the number of rats per week we shall... okay, kill! The differential equation is now

[tex] \frac{dy}{dt} = \frac{y \cdot (y-100)}{50} - H .[/tex]

If we graph this and pick some positive value like, say, H = 10 (exterminate 10 rats a week), we'll see that the equilibria have moved. The important thing is that now dy/dt < 0 at y = 0 , so this population level is now in an "attractive" region, instead of a "repelling" one. Unfortunately, there is still a stable (attracting) equilibrium at some positive y value. Unacceptable! What is the smallest value we can make H (remember, we have to keep an integer number of rats) so that dy/dt < 0 for any positive value of y . This will guarantee that for any initial rat population the farm has, the number of rats will ultimately fall to zero.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook