Old Quantum Theory = Oscillations?

In summary, the conversation discusses the confusion surrounding the use of calculus in Quantum Theory, specifically in regards to the Bohr Sommerfeld quantization rule and the WKBJ semiclassical approximation. The speaker also mentions their difficulty understanding the concept of potentials and potential energy in relation to oscillations. They seek guidance and clarification on the topic. The expert provides a link to a forum thread that explains the concept of Sommerfeld quantization and clarifies that the oscillations described are elliptical orbits with x_0 and -x_0 edges. They also mention that kinetic energy is only 0 at t=0.
karkas
Hello again,

I am having this problem understanding Quantum Theory, when it comes to calculations and applications. I'll give you an example.

When using the Bohr Sommerfeld quantization rule we use calculus in...what? Is it an oscillating particle?? That's what I can't seem to understand. Or (this is from some solved exercises I was working on before) when using the WKBJ semiclassical approximation, after putting momentum under the integral, I noticed that the solution had a number multiplying the integral, either 2 or 4 (sometimes there wasn't any). So I have concluded that the WKBJ integral is multiplied by the number of times we want that specific part of the full oscillation of the particle we are studying. Is that really it? I hope you can understand what I am talking about! I also think that it all has to do about the potential Energy U(x), or even something about a potential well.

I really need some guidance over the matter. I would really appreciate it if you could guide me!

Physics news on Phys.org
what potentials are you looking at?

Well actually even this little question sounds a bit tricky to me.

You see in this book of mine, there are exercises that talk about Potentials V(x), that I think are mistaken for U(x) Potential energies. This is another one of my queries.

As for the potentials the particle moves in, there are different ones like [itex]V(x)=1/2 mw^2x_o ^2[/itex] or [itex]V(x)=b|x|[/itex].

The integrals for each of the cases mentioned are as follows:

1st: [itex]\int_{-x_o}^{x_0}dx=(n+1/2)\pi * h-bar[/itex]

and the 2nd Integral: [itex]2\int_{0}^{x_1}dx=(n+1/2)\pi * h-bar[/itex]

I just want to ask, what is the meaning of the multiplier in front of the integral in an oscillation level. Does it mean, as I said, parts of one full oscillation? Because I know that xo and -x0 are the limits of one oscillation. Or am I wrong?

(BTW: If this thread goes to a deeper more Homework level, feel free to move it admins)

Your integrals look a bit funny, since you're not integrating anything. Try to be a bit more specific in what the integral really is (also, the latex code for h-bar is \hbar).

Anyways, I think that the factor in front is related to the symmetry of the function. If the function is symmetric, then an integral from [itex]-x_0[/itex] to [itex]x_0[/itex] is the same as 2 times the integral from [itex]0[/itex] to [itex]x_0[/itex]. If the wavefunction is antisymmetric, then it would automatically zero. Your potentials are indeed symmetric, so the energy eigenstates you encounter are either symmetric or antisymmetric. Hence the simplification.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=219445&highlight=Sommerfield+quantization

Never underestimate the power of the search function. This explains it all rather neatly. :smile:

[tex]
\displaystyle \oint = \int_0^{x_0} + \int_{x_0}^0 + \int_0^{-x_0} + \int_{-x_0}^{0} = 4\int_{0}^{x_0}
[/tex]

To xepma: Yes I'm sorry for the funny integrals, I thought that by saying WKBJ or Wilsony-Bohr-Sommerfeld quantization you would understand what I am talking about!

To The Dagda: Thanks very much for the link, so dumm of me to jump the search-in-physics-forums step! Well that last thing for the (I think it's called Contour) Integral and the separate parts are really useful.

So one last thing to conclude a series of questions : The oscillations described (from what I've understood are oscillations) are Simple Harmonic Oscillations with [tex]x_0[/tex] and [tex]-x_0[/tex] edges? Or are they circular orbits around let's say a nucleus?

The Potentials I've described are actually Potential energy? From what I've understood they're the potential energy when the particle stands in [tex]x_max = x_0 [/tex], right where Kinetic energy is zero, or something like that. Please excuse my potential misunderstanding since it is somewhat difficult for someone my age not to confuse oscillations combined with quantum mechanics!

(PS. You guys are really helpful! One would think you're secretly paid for this :P)

According to that link they are elliptical orbits, they also reflect the kinetic energy of the system too in discrete quanta. Kinetic energy is only 0 at t=0.

Last edited:

1. What is the Old Quantum Theory?

The Old Quantum Theory, also known as the first quantum theory, was developed in the early 20th century by scientists such as Max Planck, Niels Bohr, and Albert Einstein. It provided a conceptual framework for understanding the behavior of atoms and molecules, and laid the foundation for modern quantum mechanics.

2. What is the significance of oscillations in the Old Quantum Theory?

Oscillations are a fundamental aspect of the Old Quantum Theory, as they describe the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level. The theory states that particles can exist in a state of superposition, where they can simultaneously exist in multiple states or locations. This concept is essential for understanding phenomena such as electron orbits and energy levels in atoms.

3. How does the Old Quantum Theory differ from modern quantum mechanics?

The Old Quantum Theory is a classical theory that uses mathematical equations to describe the behavior of particles, while modern quantum mechanics is a more comprehensive theory that takes into account the probabilistic nature of particles and their interactions. Additionally, the Old Quantum Theory does not account for relativistic effects, which are incorporated in modern quantum mechanics.

4. What are some applications of the Old Quantum Theory?

The Old Quantum Theory has been used to explain various phenomena in physics, such as the photoelectric effect, blackbody radiation, and the quantization of energy levels in atoms. It also laid the foundation for modern technologies such as transistors, lasers, and nuclear power.

5. Is the Old Quantum Theory still relevant today?

While the Old Quantum Theory has been superseded by modern quantum mechanics, it is still relevant and has contributed significantly to our understanding of the behavior of particles at the atomic level. It is also an essential stepping stone in the development of modern physics and continues to be studied and referenced in current research and applications.