Can the integral be made to converge by changing the variable?

In summary, we have an integral that diverges for all values of n except n=0, but if we perform the change of variables s -> 1/s and split the integration range at s = 0, we get a convergent integral for all values of n. Additionally, we need to take into account the change in the integration limits when performing the substitution.
mmzaj
greetings . we have the integral :
[tex] \lim_{T\to \infty }\int_{2-iT}^{2+iT}\frac{(s-1)^{n}}{s}ds[/tex]

which diverges for every value of n except [itex] n=0 [/itex]
if we perform the change of variables :

[tex] s\rightarrow \frac{1}{s}[/tex]

then :
[tex]\lim_{T\to \infty }\int_{2-iT}^{2+iT}\frac{(s-1)^{n}}{s}ds=\int_{-i}^{i}\frac{(1-s)^{n}}{s^{n+1}}ds[/tex]

which converges . am i missing something here , or is this correct !?

Physics news on Phys.org
mmzaj said:

Can you solve it for n=2 using antiderivatives? That is, what is:

[tex]\lim_{T\to\infty}\left(-2s+\frac{s^2}{2}+\log(s)\right)_{2-iT}^{2+iT}[/tex]

mmzaj said:

[tex] s\rightarrow \frac{1}{s}[/tex]

then :
[tex]\lim_{T\to \infty }\int_{2-iT}^{2+iT}\frac{(s-1)^{n}}{s}ds=\int_{-i}^{i}\frac{(1-s)^{n}}{s^{n+1}}ds[/tex]

which converges . am i missing something here , or is this correct !?

You need to split the original integration range into two parts at s = 0. Now when you change s to 1/s, you will be able to get the correct integration limits. Note also that the original T becomes 1/T.

What is a divergent integral?

A divergent integral is an improper integral that does not have a finite value. This means that the integral does not converge and cannot be evaluated using traditional methods.

How is a divergent integral different from a convergent integral?

A convergent integral has a finite value and can be evaluated using traditional methods, while a divergent integral does not have a finite value and cannot be evaluated using traditional methods.

What causes a divergent integral?

A divergent integral can be caused by various factors, such as the function being integrated having a vertical asymptote or the limits of integration being infinite.

Can a divergent integral be solved?

No, a divergent integral cannot be solved using traditional methods. However, in some cases, it is possible to use techniques such as regularization or analytic continuation to assign a finite value to the integral.

How do divergent integrals relate to real-world applications?

Divergent integrals have important applications in physics, particularly in the study of quantum field theory. They also have applications in engineering, economics, and other fields where infinite series or limits are used to model real-world phenomena.