1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

On a personal note

1. Oct 5, 2012 #1
    I am currently a third year undergraduate at a state university. i have a GPA that is above a 3.0 and have done well in all my major classes (i am a computer engineer); the classes i have done poorly in were the required classes such as history.

being over a third of the way through this semester I am having trouble concentrating. i think i am lost and i would like the input of anyone that has felt this way before:

i cant seem to find a reason as to why what i am learning matters. my goal was to get my first 4.0 semester this fall, and i am far from it. i figure to get it i would have to spend something like 40 or 50 hours a week on top of my scheduled courses. do i not belong in an academic environment? i fail to see how putting the work in will help me be happy in the end. i am terrified that i am inadequate. for years now there has been nothing but headlines on how jobs in the USA are diminishing to say the least, so why would anyone hire me.

i dont know if it is just stress, or this feeling is a part of the person i am growing up to be.

any input would be appreciated.

ps: i know internships are important, but i havent had any research experience or any experience outside of my course load. if anyone has advice on that i would greatly appreciate it

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 5, 2012 #2
    I too felt lost and bewildered as I neared the end. For me, I simply hated school. It was really for the best for me to get out after my BS and look for a job, even though that took a long time. Not everyone does well in the college environment. You really should stick it out to the end. Having that degree makes life easier later, although it is no guarantee of employment.

Do not feel inadequate, perfection is not really key here. Finishing is.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook