1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

On Algebraic Integers

1. Mar 29, 2009 #1
    The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If a is an algebraic integer with a^3 + a + 1 = 0 and b is an algebraic integer with b^2 + b - 3 = 0, prove that both a + b and ab are algebraic integers.

2. Relevant equations
    An algebraic number is said to be an algebraic integer if it satisfies an equation of the form x^m + c_{m-1}x^{m-1} + ... + c_0 = 0, where the c's are integers.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Since the algebraic numbers form a field, ab and a + b satisfy some polynomial of the form c_mx^m + ... + c_0, where the c's are integers and m <= 6. The problem here is that c_m may not equal 1. I don't know how to get around this. Any tips?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 30, 2009 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You could compute it.

4. Mar 30, 2009 #3
    What do you mean compute it? Are you implicitly suggest that c_m will always be 1?

5. Mar 30, 2009 #4

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, he's suggesting that you explicitly compute a polynomial that is monic that has a+b as a root (and one for ab). It is obviously not true that c_m will always be 1, but it is true that c_m can be 1 if you do it properly.

6. Mar 30, 2009 #5
    OK. I guess the next question is how do I compute such a thing. Expanding (a+b)^6 + c_5(a+b)^5 + ... + c_0 and then guessing at the possible c's doesn't seem like the smart way to do this.

7. Mar 30, 2009 #6

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Then use a non-guessing method to solve the equation.

8. Mar 30, 2009 #7
    Ah, of course! ... But I don't know of any non-guessing method.

9. Mar 30, 2009 #8

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Find a monic poly with sqrt(2)+sqrt(3) as a root.

10. Mar 30, 2009 #9
    Why sqrt(2) + sqrt(3), may I ask?

11. Mar 30, 2009 #10

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Why not? If you don't understand a more general case try an example. This is the simplest example I could think of.

12. Mar 30, 2009 #11
    Good idea. You should have mentioned that in the first place: Let u = (sqrt{2} + sqrt{3})^2 and then solve u^2 + bu + c = 0 to get that x^4 - 10x^2 + 1.

So with my problem, I let u = (alpha + beta)^3 and solve u^2 + bu + c = 0 ... I don't know any integers b and c that will make this work.

13. Mar 31, 2009 #12

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Probably because there aren't any. But why would u have to satisfy a quadratic equation? Try thinking about (a+b)^6 and smaller powers of a+b (i.e. not u).

Incidentally, why should *I* have to tell you that if you're struggling with a problem then you should try an easier example? Bye (as in that's the end of my contribution).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook