Proving Algebraic Integers: a + b and ab from Given Equations

• Thread starter e(ho0n3
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integers
In summary, the author is trying to find a monic poly with sqrt(2)+sqrt(3) as a root, but doesn't know why. He suggests trying a smaller example first.
e(ho0n3
Homework Statement
If a is an algebraic integer with a^3 + a + 1 = 0 and b is an algebraic integer with b^2 + b - 3 = 0, prove that both a + b and ab are algebraic integers.

Homework Equations

An algebraic number is said to be an algebraic integer if it satisfies an equation of the form x^m + c_{m-1}x^{m-1} + ... + c_0 = 0, where the c's are integers.

The Attempt at a Solution

Since the algebraic numbers form a field, ab and a + b satisfy some polynomial of the form c_mx^m + ... + c_0, where the c's are integers and m <= 6. The problem here is that c_m may not equal 1. I don't know how to get around this. Any tips?

Physics news on Phys.org
e(ho0n3 said:
The problem here is that c_m may not equal 1. I don't know how to get around this. Any tips?
You could compute it.

What do you mean compute it? Are you implicitly suggest that c_m will always be 1?

No, he's suggesting that you explicitly compute a polynomial that is monic that has a+b as a root (and one for ab). It is obviously not true that c_m will always be 1, but it is true that c_m can be 1 if you do it properly.

OK. I guess the next question is how do I compute such a thing. Expanding (a+b)^6 + c_5(a+b)^5 + ... + c_0 and then guessing at the possible c's doesn't seem like the smart way to do this.

e(ho0n3 said:
OK. I guess the next question is how do I compute such a thing. Expanding (a+b)^6 + c_5(a+b)^5 + ... + c_0 and then guessing at the possible c's doesn't seem like the smart way to do this.
Then use a non-guessing method to solve the equation.

Ah, of course! ... But I don't know of any non-guessing method.

Find a monic poly with sqrt(2)+sqrt(3) as a root.

matt grime said:
Find a monic poly with sqrt(2)+sqrt(3) as a root.
Why sqrt(2) + sqrt(3), may I ask?

Why not? If you don't understand a more general case try an example. This is the simplest example I could think of.

matt grime said:
Why not? If you don't understand a more general case try an example. This is the simplest example I could think of.

Good idea. You should have mentioned that in the first place: Let u = (sqrt{2} + sqrt{3})^2 and then solve u^2 + bu + c = 0 to get that x^4 - 10x^2 + 1.

So with my problem, I let u = (alpha + beta)^3 and solve u^2 + bu + c = 0 ... I don't know any integers b and c that will make this work.

Probably because there aren't any. But why would u have to satisfy a quadratic equation? Try thinking about (a+b)^6 and smaller powers of a+b (i.e. not u).Incidentally, why should *I* have to tell you that if you're struggling with a problem then you should try an easier example? Bye (as in that's the end of my contribution).

What are algebraic integers?

Algebraic integers are numbers that are roots of monic polynomials with integer coefficients. In simpler terms, they are solutions to algebraic equations with integer coefficients.

What is the difference between algebraic integers and rational numbers?

Algebraic integers are a subset of rational numbers. While all algebraic integers are rational numbers, not all rational numbers are algebraic integers. Rational numbers can be expressed as a quotient of two integers, while algebraic integers are solutions to algebraic equations with integer coefficients.

How are algebraic integers related to algebraic numbers?

Algebraic integers are a subset of algebraic numbers. Algebraic numbers are any numbers that are solutions to algebraic equations, while algebraic integers are specifically solutions to algebraic equations with integer coefficients.

Why are algebraic integers important?

Algebraic integers play a significant role in number theory and algebraic geometry. They are also important in the study of algebraic number fields and algebraic extensions of the rational numbers. In addition, they have applications in cryptography and coding theory.

How can algebraic integers be represented and manipulated?

Algebraic integers can be represented using algebraic notation, such as using variables, exponents, and roots. They can be manipulated using algebraic operations, including addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. They can also be represented and manipulated using matrices and other algebraic structures.