Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

On Arrhenius plots in cyclic voltammetry

1. Oct 13, 2009 #1
    I am doing a catalytic study on my Pt nanoparticles. My experiment set-up is a three-electrode cell with sulfuric acid as electrolyte for methanol electrooxidation reaction. Now, i want to calculate the apparent activation energy and for that I need to get the voltammograms at various temperatures (eg. between 30oC - 60oC). After that I have to plot log i(current density, mA/cm2) vs 1000/T(in K) at a certain potential (eg. 0.6V) and then from the slope i can calculate the activation energy (this is based from a paper i read). I am having some doubts as to how to settle with the values of i because I`m kind of confused with the conversions and units like if I "log" the unit what will happen to "mA/cm2" and the like. Also, should I use the actual current density reading from the CV plot as is or do i need to consider other things? anyone with experience on this area, please kindly share some insights. Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2009 #2

Mapes

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If you're just looking at the slope, then you'll be calculating [itex]\log I_2-\log I_1=\log(I_2/I_1)[/itex] and the units will cancel out.

What paper are you referring to (just curious)?

4. Oct 13, 2009 #3
    Thank you for the reply.
    This is the paper I am referring to : Electrooxidation of methanol on platinum doped polyaniline electrodes: deposition potential and temperature effect

here is the linkk :
    http://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...d=130270&md5=5914e803ab0f43e6ca00f8fbe6780dda

Based from your equation, I should be getting two I`s. If I2 is the current density from the CV plot at a certain potential, where can I get the corresponding I1? Is I1 related to the double layer current or something else?

5. Oct 13, 2009 #4

Mapes

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

[itex]I_1[/itex] comes from the same experiment at a different temperature.

6. Oct 13, 2009 #5
    if that is the case, for example if my temperatures are 30oC, 35oC,40oC,...,60oC;
    I will have I(35oC)/I(30oC), I(40oC)/I(30oC),...,I(60oC)/I(30oC)?
    that being the case, there would have been no negative values on the log i - axis since an increasing temperature normally increases current density. but from the graph on the paper that i was reading, log i - axis has negative values.

7. Oct 14, 2009 #6

Borek

Staff: Mentor

It depends on the reference chosen - if you start with I(30°C) there are no negative values, but if you start with I(40°C) you will get them.

Not that it matters.

--

8. Oct 14, 2009 #7
    i see. thanks for the enlightenment.

9. Oct 14, 2009 #8
    by the way, if ill get negative values that way, is it supposed to be between -1 and 0 only? but from the paper, the range in the y-axis (log i) is -2.5 to -4. it doesnt seem to add up...

10. Oct 14, 2009 #9

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Why -1..0? That will mean current ratio between 1 and 0.1 (assuming log10).

I don't have access to the paper.

--
    methods

11. Oct 14, 2009 #10
    I was not really sure about that. For now I will continue with the measurements and try to see whether I will arrive at a similar result.

12. Nov 3, 2009 #11
    good day.
    I have settled the issue, thanks for all the inputs from you guys. i used impedance spectroscopy for the activation energy calculation and it did suit for me well.

13. Nov 4, 2009 #12
    This is exactly my point and I1 always taken for different temperatures everytime.

Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook