On Arrhenius plots in cyclic voltammetry

In summary, the conversation is about a catalytic study on Pt nanoparticles and the process of calculating the apparent activation energy. The experiment set-up uses a three-electrode cell with sulfuric acid as electrolyte for methanol electrooxidation reaction. To calculate the activation energy, voltammograms at various temperatures are needed and then plotted on a graph with log i (current density, mA/cm2) on the y-axis and 1000/T (in K) on the x-axis. The slope of the graph is then used to calculate the activation energy. The conversation also touches on doubts regarding units and conversions, as well as the use of the current density reading from the CV plot. The paper mentioned in the conversation is "Electro
hitech1
I am doing a catalytic study on my Pt nanoparticles. My experiment set-up is a three-electrode cell with sulfuric acid as electrolyte for methanol electrooxidation reaction. Now, i want to calculate the apparent activation energy and for that I need to get the voltammograms at various temperatures (eg. between 30oC - 60oC). After that I have to plot log i(current density, mA/cm2) vs 1000/T(in K) at a certain potential (eg. 0.6V) and then from the slope i can calculate the activation energy (this is based from a paper i read). I am having some doubts as to how to settle with the values of i because I`m kind of confused with the conversions and units like if I "log" the unit what will happen to "mA/cm2" and the like. Also, should I use the actual current density reading from the CV plot as is or do i need to consider other things? anyone with experience on this area, please kindly share some insights. Thanks.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
If you're just looking at the slope, then you'll be calculating [itex]\log I_2-\log I_1=\log(I_2/I_1)[/itex] and the units will cancel out.

What paper are you referring to (just curious)?

Thank you for the reply.
This is the paper I am referring to : Electrooxidation of methanol on platinum doped polyaniline electrodes: deposition potential and temperature effect

here is the linkk :
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6TGB-3SDCCFC-28&_user=130270&_rdoc=1&_fmt=&_orig=search&_sort=d&_docanchor=&view=c&_searchStrId=1047223999&_rerunOrigin=google&_acct=C000010799&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=130270&md5=5914e803ab0f43e6ca00f8fbe6780dda

Based from your equation, I should be getting two I`s. If I2 is the current density from the CV plot at a certain potential, where can I get the corresponding I1? Is I1 related to the double layer current or something else?

[itex]I_1[/itex] comes from the same experiment at a different temperature.

if that is the case, for example if my temperatures are 30oC, 35oC,40oC,...,60oC;
I will have I(35oC)/I(30oC), I(40oC)/I(30oC),...,I(60oC)/I(30oC)?
that being the case, there would have been no negative values on the log i - axis since an increasing temperature normally increases current density. but from the graph on the paper that i was reading, log i - axis has negative values.

It depends on the reference chosen - if you start with I(30°C) there are no negative values, but if you start with I(40°C) you will get them.

Not that it matters.

--

i see. thanks for the enlightenment.

by the way, if ill get negative values that way, is it supposed to be between -1 and 0 only? but from the paper, the range in the y-axis (log i) is -2.5 to -4. it doesn't seem to add up...

Why -1..0? That will mean current ratio between 1 and 0.1 (assuming log10).

I don't have access to the paper.

--
methods

I was not really sure about that. For now I will continue with the measurements and try to see whether I will arrive at a similar result.

good day.
I have settled the issue, thanks for all the inputs from you guys. i used impedance spectroscopy for the activation energy calculation and it did suit for me well.

Mapes said:
[itex]I_1[/itex] comes from the same experiment at a different temperature.

This is exactly my point and I1 always taken for different temperatures everytime.

Thanks!

1. What is an Arrhenius plot in cyclic voltammetry?

An Arrhenius plot in cyclic voltammetry is a graph that shows the relationship between the logarithm of the current and the inverse of the temperature. It is used to determine the activation energy and pre-exponential factor of a chemical reaction.

2. How is an Arrhenius plot created in cyclic voltammetry?

To create an Arrhenius plot in cyclic voltammetry, a series of cyclic voltammograms are recorded at different temperatures. The logarithm of the current is then plotted against the inverse of the temperature, and the resulting slope is used to calculate the activation energy and pre-exponential factor.

3. What is the significance of an Arrhenius plot in cyclic voltammetry?

An Arrhenius plot in cyclic voltammetry provides valuable information about the kinetics of a chemical reaction. It can be used to determine the rate constant, activation energy, and pre-exponential factor, which are important parameters in understanding the mechanism of a reaction.

4. What are the limitations of using Arrhenius plots in cyclic voltammetry?

One limitation of using Arrhenius plots in cyclic voltammetry is that it assumes a linear relationship between the logarithm of the current and the inverse of the temperature. In reality, this relationship may not always be linear, especially at high temperatures. Additionally, the accuracy of the results can be affected by factors such as electrode surface area and solution composition.

5. How can Arrhenius plots in cyclic voltammetry be used in practical applications?

Arrhenius plots in cyclic voltammetry can be used in a variety of practical applications, such as in the development of new materials and in the study of corrosion processes. They can also be used to optimize reaction conditions and to determine the stability of a chemical reaction over a range of temperatures.