Does the Existence of lim f(x)g(x) Imply the Existence of lim f(x) and lim g(x)?

In summary, when evaluating limits, it is important to consider the behavior of the function as it approaches the limit from both sides. The limit of a product can only be found by taking the limit of each individual factor if both limits of the factors exist. The notation 1/0 and -1/0 are undefined, and a limit with this form can turn out to be ∞, -∞, or fail to exist completely. When evaluating limits, using substitution and algebraic manipulation can help to simplify the expression and find the correct limit.
babita

Homework Statement

the ques says:
lim x tending to 0 [f(x)g(x)] exists. Then both lim x tending to 0 f(x) AND lim x tending to 0 also exist. True or False

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

lim f(x)g(x) =lim f(x) * lim g(x)
so if LHS exists then limf(x) and lim g(x) must exist
so it should be true
but the answer says that the statement is false
pleasezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz help

Physics news on Phys.org
babita said:

Homework Statement

the ques says:
lim x tending to 0 [f(x)g(x)] exists. Then both lim x tending to 0 f(x) AND lim x tending to 0 also exist. True or False

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

lim f(x)g(x) =lim f(x) * lim g(x)
so if LHS exists then limf(x) and lim g(x) must exist
so it should be true
but the answer says that the statement is false
pleasezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz help

$$\lim_{x \to 0} f(x)g(x) = \lim_{x \to 0}f(x)\cdot \lim_{x \to 0} g(x)$$
only if both limits on the right side exist.

What you need is a counterexample in which the limits on the right side fail to exist, but the limit of the product does exist.

got it, thanks:)
please help me out on this one also:
i was doing limits and i noticed that while 1/ ∞ and -1/ ∞ both are taken as 0
the author writes 1/0 as + ∞ and -1/0 as -∞
please explain...

i understand that -0 and +0 would mean same and -∞ and +∞ mean different
but I'm getting some answers wrong. (and I'm getting confused)
for eg: xsin(1/x)here if x tends to -∞ it would be sin(-1/ ∞)/-1/ ∞
so shouldn't the answer be 1? the book says -1

babita said:
got it, thanks:)
please help me out on this one also:
i was doing limits and i noticed that while 1/ ∞ and -1/ ∞ both are taken as 0
the author writes 1/0 as + ∞ and -1/0 as -∞
You'll need to show me what the author is actually saying. Both 1/0 and -1/0 are undefined, and a limit that has one of these forms can turn out to be ∞, -∞, or fail to exist completely.

Some examples:
##\lim_{x \to 0}\frac{1}{x}## does not exist
##\lim_{x \to 0^+}\frac{1}{x} = \infty##
##\lim_{x \to 0}\frac{-1}{x^2} = -\infty##

And how I'm wrong here:
xsin(1/x)here if x tends to -∞ it would be sin(-1/ ∞)/-1/ ∞
so shouldn't the answer be 1?

babita said:
And how I'm wrong here:
Yes, but you should never write expressions such as sin(-1/∞) and the like. That's what limits are for.

babita said:
And how I'm wrong here:
As Mark44 said, you should never write things like "1/0", [itex]1/\infty[/itex], or [itex]1/-\infty[/itex]. To find the limit of x sin(1/x) as x goes to [itex]-\infty[/itex], let y= 1/x so we have [itex]\lim_{y\to 0^-} sin(y)/y[/itex]. That can be easily shown (how depending on exactly how you have defined sine) to be 1.

i understand that...just wrote it to explain what i was thinking
thanks

1. What is a limit?

A limit is the value that a function or sequence approaches as the input or index value approaches a certain point. It is a fundamental concept in calculus and is used to analyze the behavior of functions and sequences near a specific point.

2. How is a limit defined?

A limit is defined as the value that a function or sequence gets closer and closer to as the input or index value gets closer and closer to a specific point. This can be represented mathematically as: lim f(x) = L, where L is the limit of the function f(x) as x approaches a specific point.

3. What are the properties of limits?

There are several properties of limits, including the sum/difference/product/quotient rules, the power rule, the constant multiple rule, and the limit of a composite function. These properties allow for the simplification and evaluation of limit expressions.

4. How do you evaluate a limit?

The process for evaluating a limit involves plugging in the value of the point that the function or sequence is approaching and simplifying the resulting expression. If the resulting expression is undefined or indeterminate, additional techniques such as L'Hôpital's rule or factoring may be used.

5. Why are limits important in mathematics?

Limits are important in mathematics because they allow us to understand the behavior of functions and sequences near a specific point. They are also used in the definition and calculation of derivatives and integrals, which are fundamental concepts in calculus and have many real-world applications.