One loop Fermi Constant running

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the mass of the W boson using a specific equation and values. The resulting value is incorrect, and there is a discrepancy in the use of the Tree Level Fermi Constant. It is suggested that the running of the weak coupling is accounted for by radiative corrections and the reported value of G_F may be derived from the muon lifetime. Further calculations and comparisons with reported values are mentioned.
tomperson
Hi

I am attempting to calculate the mass of the W boson according to one loop energies using the equation,

Mw2=(πα/GF√2)/sin2θw(1-Δr)

where (Δr)top=(3GFMt2)/8√2π2tan2θw

using values:-

α=α(MZ)=(127.916)-1
GF=1.16634×10-5
sin2θw=0.23116 => tan2θw=sin2θw/cos2θw=sin2θw/(1-sin2θw)=0.300661
Mt=172.9

This gives the result Mw=72.2922, which is very wrong.

I suspect at least part of the discrepancy comes from the fact that the Tree Level Fermi Constant has been used, yet many hours of scouring the Internet has not revealed any running values of it. Is my assumption correct, or is there something more fundamentally wrong with what I have done?

I appreciate any assistance you can lend.

Physics news on Phys.org
You probably made a mistake plugging numbers in (that formula is ugly). I find 81.6, which is a bit better (WolframAlpha).

I haven't seen much about the definition of a running [itex]G_F[/itex], but apparently the reported value is measured from the muon lifetime using eq 10.4 in http://pdg.lbl.gov/2011/reviews/rpp2011-rev-standard-model.pdf Looking at that, it looks like any running of the weak coupling is accounted for by the radiative corrections there. In other words, perhaps

[tex]G_F = \frac{\sqrt{2} g_2^2(M_Z)}{8M_W^2}[/tex]

is the reported value.

If that's not the case, it doesn't seem like [itex]G_F[/itex] runs too much. With

[tex]g_2^2 = \frac{4\pi \alpha}{\sin^2\theta_W},[/tex]

I find [itex] G_F(M_Z) = 1.1622\cdot 10^{-5} ~\mathrm{GeV}^{-2}[/itex], which is very close to the reported value.

Thank you. Maths is great until numbers get involved :3

Related to One loop Fermi Constant running

1. What is the One Loop Fermi Constant Running?

The One Loop Fermi Constant Running is a concept in particle physics that describes the change in the strength of the weak interaction as energy levels increase. It is a result of quantum corrections to the Fermi constant, which is a fundamental parameter that determines the strength of the weak force.

2. How is the One Loop Fermi Constant Running calculated?

The One Loop Fermi Constant Running is calculated using quantum field theory, which takes into account the effects of virtual particles and their interactions. It involves performing calculations at different energy levels and extrapolating the results to higher energies.

3. Why is the One Loop Fermi Constant Running important?

The One Loop Fermi Constant Running is important because it helps us understand the behavior of the weak force at higher energies. It also plays a crucial role in precision measurements of particle properties, such as the mass of the W and Z bosons.

4. What is the difference between the One Loop and Two Loop Fermi Constant Running?

The One Loop and Two Loop Fermi Constant Running refer to the number of quantum corrections taken into account in the calculations. The Two Loop calculation includes higher-order corrections and is more precise, but also more complex and time-consuming to perform.

5. How does the One Loop Fermi Constant Running affect particle interactions?

The One Loop Fermi Constant Running affects particle interactions by determining the strength of the weak force, which is responsible for processes such as beta decay and neutrino interactions. As energy levels increase, the One Loop Fermi Constant Running becomes stronger, leading to changes in particle interactions.