How Does Weight and Thrust Affect Rocket Acceleration and Velocity?

• Thread starter Labguy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Thrust
In summary, the conversation is about the weight and thrust of space shuttles and payloads, and whether they all accelerate at the same rate, reach the same velocity, and reach the same orbit. The answer is no, as the force of thrust and the mass of the object will affect the acceleration. The conversation also touches on the importance of thrust to weight ratio in avionics and the potential engineering challenges involved. The conversation ends with a humorous mention of FAA restrictions and the speaker's need for sleeping pills.
Labguy
Science Advisor
Don't laugh guys, but I'm familiar with a lot of general astronomy stuff but my question will seem very stupid.,:cry: About rockets, etc.

I was thinking today (dangerous) and realized I don't know the answer to:
Samples: (hypothetical)

1. Space shuttle and all weighs 5 million pounds and total thrust of engines is 6 million pounds, net one million pounds over weight.

2. Payload (any) weighs 500 pounds and thrust in 1,000,500 pounds, net one million pounds over weight.

3. Payload weighs 5 pounds and thrust in 1,000,005 pounds, net one million pounds over weight.

So, not counting air-drag, etc.
Do all three accelerate at the same rate:confused:
Do all three reach same velocity in the same amount of time:confused:
Would all three reach the same orbit (if programmed the same) at the same time and velocity/altitude:confused:

Like I said, dumb question, after midnight, drunk, and I have to pilot an America West flight in 5 hours...:zzz:

Astronomy news on Phys.org
No, of course they don't accelerate at the same rate.

F = ma

If you keep the force constant, but decrease mass, you necessarily also increase acceleration.

- Warren

p.s. I hope you're aware of FAA restrictions about alcohol consumption before flying. I wasn't even aware that you were a pilot? :uhh:

Thrust to weight ratio is a common theme in avionics. Obviously it must be greater than 1 just to get off the ground. For the purpose of getting a payload into orbit, the bigger the better. Getting out of the Earth's gravity well as soon as possible is the objective. One of the more important limiting factors is how much heat the thrusters can tolerate [and how long]. Acceleration stress, which is a form of hoop stress in structural design, is also an issue. It is a complex engineering problem.

chroot said:
No, of course they don't accelerate at the same rate.

F = ma

If you keep the force constant, but decrease mass, you necessarily also increase acceleration.

- Warren

p.s. I hope you're aware of FAA restrictions about alcohol consumption before flying. I wasn't even aware that you were a pilot? :uhh:
That was easy, I said it was a midnight, drunken-stupor question! Now I'm up early too. I gotta see the doctor for more sleeping pills.

FAA? You mean I'm supposed to follow those rules too? I guess they actually expect me to get a pilot's license too!...:biggrin:

Last edited:

1. How is one million pounds of thrust measured?

One million pounds of thrust is a unit of measurement used to describe the amount of force produced by a rocket or jet engine. It is calculated by multiplying the mass of the exhaust gas by its velocity.

2. What is the significance of one million pounds of thrust?

One million pounds of thrust is a significant amount of force and is commonly used in the aerospace industry to power rockets and launch vehicles into space. It is also used in high-performance jet engines for supersonic and hypersonic flight.

3. How does one million pounds of thrust compare to other units of measurement?

One million pounds of thrust is equivalent to approximately 4.45 meganewtons, 1000 kilonewtons, or 224,809 pounds of force. It is also equal to the thrust produced by approximately 40 Boeing 747 jet engines.

4. What factors can affect the amount of thrust produced?

The amount of thrust produced by a rocket or jet engine can be affected by several factors, including the design and efficiency of the engine, the type and amount of propellant used, and external factors such as air density and temperature.

5. How is one million pounds of thrust achieved in rocket engines?

One million pounds of thrust can be achieved in rocket engines through the use of powerful and efficient propulsion systems, such as liquid or solid rocket engines. These engines use controlled explosions of fuel and oxidizer to generate the necessary force to lift heavy payloads into space.