Rocket Science - need confirmation

In summary, an average thrust force of 2.5N is applied during the first 0.1s of the rocket's flight. This is then multiplied by the mass of the acceleration value to determine the net force. The net force is then used with the initial velocity to find the displacement and the final velocity. The final velocity is the initial velocity of the next segment and the displacement is D1.
Element1674

Homework Statement

given a graph of the thrust of an engine, we need to determine what mass to make our rocket so that it goes 15m into the air. Here is the graph:
http://www.321rockets.com/content/image/26402/800/A8_thrustcurve.jpg

I just need some confirmation on if I'm doing it right.

Homework Equations

Fnet= Ft+Fg=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the section of 0.0s-0.1s for refernce:
- Find the average thrust force during this time interval (my teacher talked about how later we would use impulse for this, but we haven't learned that yet, so I calculated average force using the inital force for that interval (0N) and the final force for that interval (5N). Add together and divide by two, giving me 2.5N. This means during the first 0.1s of the rocket's flight, the average thrust force acting upon it is 2.5N.
-I add this with the force of gravity to determine the net force. Net force also equals ma, so i divide that number my the mass for the acceleration value.
- Using the initial velocity (0 for this segment), the time (0.1s) and the acceleration, i use the big 5 kinematic equations to find the displacement and the final velocity. This final velocity is the initial velocity of the next segment. The displacement is D1.
- Keep finding D2,D3,..etc and add them all together, hopefully giving me a TOTAL distance of 15m. But I know that the last displacement (rocket going up but the engine is no longer thrusting) will only have a net force of mg, so i take that into consideration when calculating.

good?

Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone? Please I need help ASAP!

I don't know about using average force.

Instead: how about
∫F(t) ds = mgh, h = 15m where F(t) includes thrust and gravity.
ds = v dt
dv/dt = F(t)/m
dv = (1/m)F(t) dt
find v(t) by numerical integration
Then substitute for ds in the above integral to solve for m, again numerically. Two numerical integrations!

BTW this is not the first time this probem has been posted, and I remember someone pointing out that the problem does not state the loss of m during burn, so presumably you will choose to ignore it.

Is that calculus? I won't be learning that for another 2years in the school system :/

Element1674 said:
Is that calculus? I won't be learning that for another 2years in the school system :/

That makes things difficult, meaning for me.

Is my method workable though? I'm assuming it won't be as efficient or accurate, but will it still give me accurate enough data to use?

What is rocket science?

Rocket science is a field of engineering that involves the design, development, and operation of rockets and spacecraft. It combines principles of physics, mathematics, and materials science to create vehicles that can travel through space.

How does rocket propulsion work?

Rocket propulsion works by expelling a high-speed jet of gas in one direction, which creates an equal and opposite force in the opposite direction, propelling the rocket forward. This is achieved through the burning of propellants, such as liquid oxygen and liquid hydrogen, in a combustion chamber.

What are the main challenges in rocket science?

The main challenges in rocket science include achieving enough thrust to overcome Earth's gravity, ensuring the structural integrity of the rocket in extreme conditions, and achieving precision in navigation and control. Other challenges include developing efficient and reliable propulsion systems, as well as developing life support systems for human spaceflight.

What are some real-world applications of rocket science?

Rocket science has numerous real-world applications, including launching satellites into orbit for communication, navigation, and scientific research purposes. It is also used for space exploration and travel, such as sending probes to other planets and landing humans on the moon. Additionally, rocket technology has been adapted for use in military missiles and for commercial purposes, such as commercial space tourism.

What skills are needed to become a rocket scientist?

To become a rocket scientist, one needs to have a strong foundation in mathematics and physics, as well as a solid understanding of engineering principles. Other important skills include critical thinking, problem-solving, and attention to detail. Communication, teamwork, and adaptability are also crucial in this field, as rocket scientists often work in multidisciplinary teams on complex projects.