Is There an Interactive Online GR Course Available?

• Thread starter glamotte7
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Class
In summary, the online GR course offered this fall by the Open University is probably the best option available. It is interactive and includes graded homework.
glamotte7
Hello All,

I have an undergrad physics degree. I've been studying GR on my own for a while, including Hartle, Schutz, Carroll, etc. There is NO GR course offered this fall in the state of CO, which is where I live. This fall I'd like to take a real ONLINE class in beginning GR included graded homework, discussions with prof and students and video lectures, etc. With today's technology I don't think this would be too difficult for a university to do or even a group of well educated individuals. I'd gladly pay for the course. Does anyone know of such an offering? MIT has online courses as do perhaps others but they are not interactive.

Any advice is very much appreciated. I've wanted to do this for about a year now and finally have the time.

glamotte7

Physics news on Phys.org
Yeah, it would be very cool to find someone online offering real graduate-level physics courses (not just videos available to download). I have a PhD in physics, but I didn't get nearly as much from my graduate coursework as I would have liked. I would love to be able to go back and, for example, really learn field theory, rather than just learning to crank out calculations using Dirac matrices. Unfortunately, I'm just not aware of anyone offering anything like this. I've also heard a lot of horror stories about people taking undergraduate courses online that basically had no interaction with the prof -- or even any evidence that the prof was present and paying attention.

Interesting link, atyy, thanks! But it's an undergraduate survey of relativity and cosmology, not a graduate course in GR.

bcrowell said:
Interesting link, atyy, thanks! But it's an undergraduate survey of relativity and cosmology, not a graduate course in GR.

Yes, I just couldn't resist - did you know that this lady - or is it more proper to say Dame - also worked at the Open University http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jocelyn_Bell_Burnell ?

Thanks atyy---I took a look. Unfortunately the class doesn't start until Feb 2011 so I won't be able to do it this fall.

Thanks xepma---I took a look at PIRSA. The lectures by Myers on GR are at just the level I'm at. You said that's it's possible to "take the whole course". Does that include interaction with the staff there or simply watching all the lectures? Again I'm looking for something interactive. If I can't find interactive, I suspect these may be the best lectures out there as they look quite good.

To All---Any other info on an online GR course you have would be helpful, particularly about an interactive environment as I mentioned above. Does Physics Forums support any
study group type of structure for further education?

glamotte7

1. What is an online General Relativity class?

An online General Relativity class is a course that covers the principles and theories of General Relativity, a branch of physics that explains the laws of gravity and the structure of the universe. It is typically offered through a virtual platform and can be taken remotely from anywhere with internet access.

2. What are the benefits of taking an online General Relativity class?

Taking an online General Relativity class allows for flexibility in terms of time and location. It also provides access to a wider range of resources and materials, as well as the opportunity to learn at your own pace. Additionally, it may be more affordable compared to traditional in-person classes.

3. Is an online General Relativity class as rigorous as an in-person class?

Yes, an online General Relativity class can be just as rigorous as an in-person class. The same principles and theories are covered, and the level of difficulty is typically the same. However, it does require self-discipline and time management skills to be successful.

4. What are the prerequisites for an online General Relativity class?

The prerequisites for an online General Relativity class may vary depending on the institution or platform offering the course. However, it typically requires a strong foundation in physics and mathematics, including calculus and differential equations.

5. Can an online General Relativity class provide the same hands-on experience as an in-person class?

While an online General Relativity class may not provide the same level of hands-on experience as an in-person class, there are still opportunities for interactive learning. This may include virtual simulations, online labs, and discussion forums with peers and instructors.