Online Non-Calc Based Physics ?

• Thread starter greenlocus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the speakers are discussing online options for taking non-calc and calc-based physics courses, including the use of lab kits and virtual labs. They recommend checking out Athabasca University in Canada and the State University of New York's online degree program network for more information on available courses and pricing. The courses may also require the purchase of additional materials, depending on the professor.
greenlocus
Suffice to say I am unable to attend a class on the topic atm but would very much so like to take an online non-calc based physics I and II. I have heard of courses where you purchase a "lab kit", do the experiments at home, have to turn in detailed lab reports, etc.

Does anyone have a program they would recommend? Physics with a lab.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sort of in the same boat, sep that I am looking for calc based physics online.
I'm a NY state resident. Here in NY state there are several schools that offer algebra/trig based physics online. I took both Phys 1 & 2 from Herkimer county community college online.

Go to this link http://sln.suny.edu/index.html

This network lists all schools in NY state offering online degree programs and online individual classes.

Last edited by a moderator:
You recall how much those courses were per semester? Am out of state of course. They ship you a lab to do at home?

greenlocus said:
You recall how much those courses were per semester? Am out of state of course. They ship you a lab to do at home?

Something like $120 per credit hour at HCC. I am not sure if you will be charged out of state tuition for being an online student. The physics course I took at HCC used a virtual lab called physlet. Its a CD-ROM. I am now taking another Physics course at another college online from FLCC in NY,my professor wants us to buy a couple of things to make up a kit. muliti meter, ,200-in-1 Electronic Project Lab and a hydrofarm light meter. So it all depends on the professor.

You do the one at Broome or Finger Lakes?

greenlocus said:
You do the one at Broome or Finger Lakes?

Finger lakes physics II

1. What is non-calc based physics?

Non-calc based physics is a course that covers the fundamental principles and laws of physics without using advanced mathematical calculations. This means that the course focuses on conceptual understanding rather than mathematical problem solving.

2. Is non-calc based physics easier than calc-based physics?

This depends on the individual and their strengths. Non-calc based physics may be easier for those who struggle with advanced mathematical concepts, but it still requires a strong understanding of physics concepts and critical thinking skills.

3. What topics are covered in non-calc based physics?

Non-calc based physics typically covers topics such as mechanics, thermodynamics, electricity and magnetism, and waves. However, the specific topics may vary depending on the institution and course curriculum.

4. Can I take non-calc based physics if I am planning to major in a science or engineering field?

Yes, many science and engineering programs accept non-calc based physics as a prerequisite. However, it is important to check with your specific program to ensure that they accept non-calc based physics as a valid course credit.

5. How can I excel in non-calc based physics?

To excel in non-calc based physics, it is important to have a strong understanding of the fundamental concepts and principles. This can be achieved through regular studying, attending class and asking questions, and practicing critical thinking and problem-solving skills. It is also helpful to seek out additional resources such as textbooks, online tutorials, and study groups to supplement your learning.