Op-Amp convex optimization question

In summary, the transistor channel width and length are the main defining properties of the transistors in that circuit, since they are all on the same die. To get good matching, you need the geometries to be the same.
perplexabot
Gold Member
Hey all. I have a question regarding an equation in a document I am reading about convex optimization of OP-AMPs. The document is attached, the equation is of section 3.4 and the equation number is (9). Can you please explain how it came to be? I understand that i3 = i4 = i5/2 but I don't understand why W's and L's are the only thing in this equation and why this equality holds.

An explanation for equation (10) would also be nice, but (9) is more important for me!

Thank you for your time.

Attachments

• opamp (1).pdf
    403.9 KB · Views: 357
Engineering news on Phys.org
The transistor channel width & length are the main defining properties of the transistors in that circuit, since they are all on the same die. To get good matching, you need the geometries to be the same. Maybe I'm misunderstanding your question?

Likes perplexabot
berkeman said:
The transistor channel width & length are the main defining properties of the transistors in that circuit, since they are all on the same die. To get good matching, you need the geometries to be the same. Maybe I'm misunderstanding your question?
Thanks, I was wondering if that fraction was originally the ratio of two Id (drain current) equations for NMOS in saturation with everything cancelling out except for the widths and lengths?

Also, if I may, I would like to know why my cvx Matlab program is ending with "Failed" status : (
Here is my code:
Code:
% Device sizing
clear; clc;
% given variables
mun = 600*(10^-2)^2;
mup = 200*(10^-2)^2;
Vtn = 0.7;
Vtp = -0.9;
lamn = 1/0.03;
lamp = 1/0.06;
Cox = 346*10^-6;
Vomin = 0.1*5;
Vomax = 0.9*5;
Vcmmin = 2.5 - 0.25;
Vcmmax = 2.5 + 0.25;
Vdd = 5;
Vss = 0;
%cvx optimization
cvx_begin gp
    variables L1 L2 L3 L4 L5 L6 L7 L8 W1 W2 W3 W4 W5 W6 W7 W8 Ib I5 I7 I1 I2
    minimize (5*(Ib+I5+I7));
    subject to
        %symmetry and matching
        W1/W2 == 1;
        L1/L2 == 1;
        W3/W4 == 1;
        L3/L4 == 1;
        L5/L7 == 1;
        L5/L6 == 1;
        %physical size limits
        L1 >= 0.8*10^-6;
        L2 >= 0.8*10^-6;
        L3 >= 0.8*10^-6;
        L4 >= 0.8*10^-6;
        L5 >= 0.8*10^-6;
        L6 >= 0.8*10^-6;
        L7 >= 0.8*10^-6;
        L8 >= 0.8*10^-6;
        W1 >= 2*10^-6;
        W2 >= 2*10^-6;
        W3 >= 2*10^-6;
        W4 >= 2*10^-6;
        W5 >= 2*10^-6;
        W6 >= 2*10^-6;
        W7 >= 2*10^-6;
        W8 >= 2*10^-6;
        %area limits
        L1*W1 + L2*W2 + L3*W3 + L4*W4+ L5*W5 + L6*W6 + L7*W7 <= 10000*(10^-6)^2;
        %input offset requirements
        (W3/L3)/(W6/L6)== (1/2)*((W5/L5)/(W7/L7));
        (W4/L4)/(W6/L6)== (1/2)*((W5/L5)/(W7/L7));
        %bias conditions
        I5 == (W5*L8*Ib)/(L5*W8);
        I7 == (W7*L8*Ib)/(L7*W8);
        I1 == I5/2;
        %more bias conditions : p
        sqrt((I1*L3)/((mun*Cox)/(2*W3))) <= Vcmmin - Vss - Vtp - Vtn;
        sqrt((I2*L3)/((mun*Cox)/(2*W3))) <= Vcmmin - Vss - Vtp - Vtn;
        sqrt((I1*L1)/((mup*Cox)/(2*W1))) + sqrt((I5*L5)/((mup*Cox)/(2*W5))) <= Vdd-Vcmmax + Vtp;
        sqrt((I7*L6)/((mun*Cox)/(2*W6))) <= Vomin - Vss;
        sqrt((I7*L7)/((mup*Cox)/(2*W7))) <= Vdd - Vomax;
        %small sig tf constraints
        Av = (2*Cox)/((lamn+lamp)^2)*sqrt(mun*mup*((W2*W6)/(L2*L6*I1*I7)));
cvx_end

All these constraints are from the document in my OP. Also the code is based on example 7.2 (page 24 of the document).

Last edited:
BUMP.

Anyone have a clue what I am doing wrong here? I feel like I am missing something big. I will dedicate some more time to it today. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

1. What is an op-amp?

An op-amp, or operational amplifier, is a type of electronic circuit component that amplifies the difference between two input voltages. It is commonly used in a wide range of electronic devices such as audio amplifiers, signal filters, and voltage regulators.

2. What is convex optimization?

Convex optimization is a mathematical technique used to find the optimal solution to a problem that involves maximizing or minimizing a convex function. In the context of op-amp design, convex optimization is used to find the optimal values for the circuit's components to achieve a desired output.

3. How does convex optimization relate to op-amp design?

Convex optimization is used in op-amp design to find the values for the circuit components that will result in the desired output. By using convex optimization, engineers can optimize their designs and achieve better performance, such as higher gain or lower distortion.

4. What are the benefits of using convex optimization in op-amp design?

One of the main benefits of using convex optimization in op-amp design is that it can lead to improved performance. By finding the optimal values for the circuit components, engineers can achieve better accuracy, stability, and efficiency in their designs. Additionally, using convex optimization can also save time and resources in the design process.

5. Are there any limitations to using convex optimization in op-amp design?

While convex optimization is a valuable tool in op-amp design, it does have some limitations. It is only effective for convex problems, meaning those with a single global minimum or maximum. It also requires a well-defined mathematical model of the problem, which may not always be possible in complex op-amp designs. Additionally, the optimization process can be computationally intensive, which may be a limitation for some applications.