OpAmp general rules-of-thumb (educated guess) on filter type

In summary, the filter is a second-oder highpass filter with a fixed gain amplifier that has a Bessel, Butterworth, or Chebyshev characteristic.
adamaero

Homework Statement

For example, what type of filter is this:
upload_2018-2-20_17-35-33.png

How can one tell, as a general guideline, without finding the transfer function? I think finding the transfer function is the only real way to tell for sure, but what is a quick way to make an educated guess?

The Attempt at a Solution

It is a high pass filter. (Found the transfer function.)
  • Capacitors of some formation at the input?

Attachments

• upload_2018-2-20_17-35-33.png
    upload_2018-2-20_17-35-33.png
    5.2 KB · Views: 951
Physics news on Phys.org
adamaero said:

Homework Statement

For example, what type of filter is this:
View attachment 220752

How can one tell, as a general guideline, without finding the transfer function? I think finding the transfer function is the only real way to tell for sure, but what is a quick way to make an educated guess?

The Attempt at a Solution

It is a high pass filter. (Found the transfer function.)
  • Capacitors of some formation at the input?
Do you mean what type of polynomial, or just LPF/BPF/HPF?

berkeman said:
Do you mean what type of polynomial, or just LPF/BPF/HPF?
Just if it is low-pass, high-pass, BP, notch. When taking an exam I want an alternative way to nearly confirm that I wrote the correct transfer function, and not made an algebraic mistake or something.

I don't know if I'm an expert at that, but think about the rules for analyzing an ideal opamp circuit. what can you say about the input impedances of the inputs and the output impedance of the output? How would those help you to get an intuitive feel for what happens in the circuit you posted?

berkeman said:
I don't know if I'm an expert at that, but think about the rules for analyzing an ideal opamp circuit. what can you say about the input impedances of the inputs and the output impedance of the output? How would those help you to get an intuitive feel for what happens in the circuit you posted?
That is not what I'm asking. I'm asking about filter characterization without finding the transfer function.

adamaero said:
That is not what I'm asking
But I thought it was what you were asking...
adamaero said:
Just if it is low-pass, high-pass, BP, notch.
It's going to be hard to do a quick evaluation of the circuit if you don't keep the opamp properties in mind. Take your circuit that you posted -- do you see both of the LPF stages? Why are they HPF stages, and not some other type?

Here is a trick that was taught to me back during my undergrad days. we used to have to complete a "dasc" for everyone homework problem. it stands for dimensional analysis and sanity check.

dimensional analysis: you analyze the units of your answer, along with the units of your work, and make sure they make sense. ex. if you're solving for a voltage and you get 17A, you did something wrong. This isn't relevant to this problem in particular, but it can be helpful in general.

Sanity check: find a way to do 'back of the envelope' calculations to check your answer. is it the right order of magnitude, etc.
To sanity check these filter problems, evaluate what happens at dc and high frequencies.

at dc current, a capacitor is an open circuit and an inductor is a short circuit.
at high frequencies, a capacitor is a short circuit and an inductor is an open circuit.

So evaluate your circuit at dc, what happens.
then evaluate at high frequencies, what happens.
hint: first open the capacitors, no current goes through them, so at dc the gain is zero. then short them, what happens.

You can also use this to check transfer functions by plugin in zero and inf for frequency values and seeing if your transfer function matches the simplified circuits.

Likes analogdesign, collinsmark and berkeman
Topology: The filter contains an active part (fixed-gain amplifier) equipped with an R-C feedback path.
There is only one single feedback element and, therefore, it is a second-oder filter stage which is called "Sallen-Key"-Filter - named after its inventors R.P. Sallen and E.R. Key.

Filter-Type: For very low frequencies, the input signal cannot pass through the capacitors - hence, low frequencies are attenuated.
In contrary, very large frequencies can pass both capacitors with only a small attenuation and reach the amplifier input node.
Hence, it is a second-oder highpass filter.

Filter characteristics: It is the task of the feedback resistor to enhance the magnitude of the filter in the cut-off region to allow for different transfer characteristics (Bessel, Butterworth, Chebyshev).

1. What is the general rule-of-thumb for choosing the filter type for an OpAmp circuit?

The most commonly used filter type for OpAmp circuits is the active low-pass filter, which is designed to attenuate high-frequency signals while allowing low-frequency signals to pass through. This is because OpAmps have a limited bandwidth and are more efficient at amplifying low-frequency signals.

2. How do I choose the cutoff frequency for my OpAmp filter?

The cutoff frequency of an OpAmp filter should be chosen based on the desired frequency response of the circuit. In general, a lower cutoff frequency will result in a more attenuated high-frequency response, while a higher cutoff frequency will allow more high-frequency signals to pass through.

3. Can I use a passive filter instead of an active filter in an OpAmp circuit?

While it is possible to use a passive filter in an OpAmp circuit, it is not recommended. Passive filters are more susceptible to noise and have a limited frequency response, which can affect the overall performance of the circuit. Active filters, on the other hand, can be designed to have a wider frequency response and are less affected by noise.

4. What is the importance of choosing the correct filter type for an OpAmp circuit?

The filter type used in an OpAmp circuit can greatly affect the overall performance of the circuit. Choosing the correct filter type ensures that the desired frequency response is achieved and that the circuit operates efficiently and without distortion.

5. Are there any other considerations to keep in mind when using filters in OpAmp circuits?

When using filters in OpAmp circuits, it is important to also consider the power supply voltage and the input and output impedance of the circuit. These factors can affect the overall gain and frequency response of the circuit and should be taken into account when designing the filter type and cutoff frequency.