Understanding Opamp Circuit Gain Calculation: Ideal vs. Practical Analysis

In summary: If there is no negative feedback, the gain of op-amp 1 will be infinite and V1 will be Vin times infinity. Similarly, V11 and V22 will only be zero if there is no negative feedback in op-amp 1 and op-amp 2 respectively.
etf
Hi!
My task is to calculate gain A=Vo/Vin for circuit on scheme (OPAMPS are ideal):

postavka.jpg

Since OPAMPS are ideal, input currents are zero and V1=V2=Vin, V11=V22=0:

111.jpg

KCL for node 0 suggests us that current through R4 (I4) must be zero:

222.jpg

On the other hand, we can calculate I4 as:

333.jpg

:confused: :confused: :confused:

I tested circuit using Multisim and I got this:

sim.jpg

For any input voltage Vin we have on output Vo=-Vin

Physics news on Phys.org
etf said:
Hi!

KCL for node 0 suggests us that current through R4 (I4) must be zero:

View attachment 73245

I don't know where you get I4 = 0V in your 3rd figure. It's not zero, as your next calculation and the simulation show.

I would approach this problem by using voltage divider math. Label the central node voltage Va (the output of the right-hand opamp). Then write the KCL equation for that node. That gives you an equation that involves Va and Vin, and R2 and R3. Re-arrange that equation to give you Va in terms of Vin and those two resistors.

Then write the voltage divider equation for the left two resistors. Va is divided down to Vin by R3 and R4. Use those two equations to solve for Va in terms of Vin, and then use Va to calculate Vout.

Give that approach a try and see if it works for you... :smile:

Likes 1 person
BTW, it's best if you can make all of your opamp symbols have a consistent placement of the + and - inputs. The original figure used symbols with the - input on top and the + input on the bottom (which is the way I prefer to draw opamps). In your drawing tool, it looks like you rotated the standard opamp symbol instead of mirroring it, to make the right-pointing opamp. If possible, try to just use "mirror" instead of "rotate" when you make an opposite-facing symbol. Just a suggestion... :smile:

berkeman said:
I don't know where you get I4 = 0V in your 3rd figure.
Well, input resistances of ideal OPAMPs are infinite so input currents for both OPAMPs are zero and, since they are zero, I4 also must be zero (KCL equation for node 0: 0A+0A-I4=0, I4=0) ?

etf said:
Well, input resistances of ideal OPAMPs are infinite so input currents for both OPAMPs are zero and, since they are zero, I4 also must be zero (KCL equation for node 0: 0A+0A-I4=0, I4=0) ?

I don't know where your "Node 0" is. But Va is not zero, and it has a path through resistors R3 and R4 to ground, so I4 will be non-zero.

Did you write the equations that I suggested? What solution did you find?

I marked node 0 with green colour:

222.jpg

I didn't try your method yet...

etf said:
I marked node 0 with green colour:

View attachment 73268

I didn't try your method yet...

That point is ground. You don't usually write a KCL equation for the ground node when solving for a circuit. Let us know how my method works out for you.

I solved it using your method and I got correct result. Thanks :)
But I'm still confused about KCL for ground node. KCL should be always satisfied for every node.

etf said:
I solved it using your method and I got correct result.
But I'm still confused about KCL for ground node. KCL should be always satisfied for every node. Thanks berkeman!

Great! :smile:

As for the ground node, its KCL equation would be redundant with the other equations that you have written for the other nodes in the circuit. That's why folks don't bother to write a KCL eauation at the ground node -- it's just extra work that doesn't buy you anything.

etf said:
Hi!

View attachment 73243

Since OPAMPS are ideal, input currents are zero and V1=V2=Vin, V11=V22=0:

Your above assumption is incorrect.
V1 will only equal V2 if there is negative feedback in op-amp 1.

1. What is an opamp circuit and how does it work?

An opamp (operational amplifier) circuit is an electronic circuit that uses an operational amplifier to amplify and manipulate an input signal. Opamps have two inputs (inverting and non-inverting) and one output, and they use feedback to achieve a specific output voltage based on the input. The output voltage is typically much larger than the input voltage, making opamps useful for amplification purposes.

2. What are the basic components of an opamp circuit?

The basic components of an opamp circuit include the operational amplifier, resistors, and capacitors. The operational amplifier is the main component that amplifies the input signal, while resistors and capacitors are used for feedback and to adjust the gain and frequency response of the circuit.

3. How do I choose the right opamp for my circuit?

The right opamp for a circuit depends on the specific requirements and design goals of the circuit. Some factors to consider when choosing an opamp include input and output voltage range, input and output impedance, bandwidth, and supply voltage. It is important to carefully select an opamp that meets these requirements to ensure optimal performance of the circuit.

4. What is the difference between an inverting and non-inverting opamp circuit?

In an inverting opamp circuit, the output signal is 180 degrees out of phase with the input signal. This means that when the input signal increases, the output signal decreases. In contrast, a non-inverting opamp circuit has an output signal that is in phase with the input signal. This means that when the input signal increases, the output signal also increases.

5. How can I troubleshoot issues with my opamp circuit?

If your opamp circuit is not functioning as expected, there are a few things you can check to troubleshoot the issue. First, make sure all components are connected correctly and that there are no loose connections. Next, check if the opamp is receiving the correct power supply voltage. You can also try changing the values of the resistors and capacitors in the circuit to see if that affects the output. If the issue persists, it may be helpful to consult a professional or refer to a troubleshooting guide for opamp circuits.