Opamp multivibrator not oscillating

In summary: I tried that but it still won't oscillate. I also tried a 125 ohm feedback resistor. Would the feedback resistor need to be higher ?, if it doesn't work then I'll just try building it on a breadboardNo, you don't need to change the resistor.
TheRedDevil18
I'm trying to simulate this circuit in multisim
upload_2017-3-19_22-50-53.png

The frequency should be 200 kHz. Used this site to calculate R1 and C1, http://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/opamp/op-amp-multivibrator.html

All I get is this from the oscilloscope
upload_2017-3-19_22-53-40.png

Is the circuit wrong ? or is it just the simulator

Engineering news on Phys.org
That's a very low feedback resistor, might not function very well in a real circuit.

But I think your immediate problem is that the oscillator is not reliably self-starting. In a real construction you might just have to switch it on and off a few times, but in a simulation this may still not work. Can you put an initial voltage on C1? Say, 3.5V.

Likes jim hardy
my GUESS is the oscillations are tiny and centered around 1 volt.
Observations leading me to that suggestion:
1. 100 ms/div timebase is WAY too slow to see 200 khz. Might as well use a calendar.
2. At 200 khz , 100 nf is 8 ohms?(check my arithmetic)... So you're asking that poor little opamp to drive a load that's less than 30 ohms?

I think you're trying to drive a railroad spike with a tack hammer . That's why it doesn't move enough to see with your 'scope settings where they are.

So,
to what sweep speed , vertical sensitivity and coupling mode should you set your 'scope to see if that's indeed what is going on ?

Look at the datasheet for that opamp. At what load do they specify its drive capability ? How does yours compare?

old jim

Last edited:
NascentOxygen said:
That's a very low feedback resistor, might not function very well in a real circuit.

But I think your immediate problem is that the oscillator is not reliably self-starting. In a real construction you might just have to switch it on and off a few times, but in a simulation this may still not work. Can you put an initial voltage on C1? Say, 3.5V.

I tried that but it still won't oscillate. I also tried a 125 ohm feedback resistor. Would the feedback resistor need to be higher ?, if it doesn't work then I'll just try building it on a breadboard

jim hardy said:
At 200 khz , 100 nf is 8 ohms?

Yes correct, but since impedance is 1/wC then I would have to make C smaller to increase the impedance (I can't change the frequency, it has to be 200k).

Also the voltage is fixed at that value seen in the image. I checked because I moved that little green bar

jim hardy said:
So,
to what sweep speed , vertical sensitivity and coupling mode should you set your 'scope to see if that's indeed what is going on ?

Not too sure what those are
jim hardy said:
At what load do they specify its drive capability ? How does yours compare?

http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/slos200g/slos200g.pdf

It says "Large-Capacitance Drive Capability . . . 10,000 pF" which is 10nF. I'm using a 100nF capacitor, so should be able to drive it ? or maybe not must it be smaller than 10n ?

The circuit is a Schmitt trigger and an integrator. That type of circuit should start without a problem. The resistor and capacitor that make the integrator need to be changed from 25R with 100nF to higher impedance components with the same time constant. e.g. 2k5 with 1nF.

There is one problem I see. The Schmitt trigger is referenced to the ground connection in a single supply application. It should be referenced to the mid-point of the supply. So add another resistor with the same value as R3 = 30k to the circuit. Connect it from the R2 - R3 junction, to the Vcc rail. Then it will run. You may need to adjust R2 to correct the amplitude and frequency.

Likes jim hardy, Stuschreib and NascentOxygen
TheRedDevil18 said:
I can't change the frequency, it has to be 200k
Yes, but a better approach may be to first get it working properly at some low frequency, then scale it upwards in steps, so that you can monitor its deteriorating performance as you increase the demands on it.

Set Vee at -5v and see what happens.

TheRedDevil18 said:
Not too sure what those are

wow you really need to spend some time learning to use the oscilloscope.
TheRedDevil18 said:
It says "Large-Capacitance Drive Capability . . . 10,000 pF" which is 10nF. I'm using a 100nF capacitor, so should be able to drive it ? or maybe not must it be smaller than 10n ?

multivibratorNotOscillating thread.jpg

so R+jwXc needs to be higher, as Baluncore pointed out.
The capacitor should charge to about midpoint of whatever AC is at output.

TheRedDevil18 said:
Also the voltage is fixed at that value seen in the image. I checked because I moved that little green bar

Green Bar? What is its function ?

Looks to me like you have trigger set to "none" so scope may be just waiting for instructions what to do.
upload_2017-3-23_20-48-33.png

Were it an old fashioned analog scope i'd suggest set trigger to AUTO which in absence of valid trigger makes one sweep every line cycle.
I'd expect this computerized scope to be showing the very last trace it ever drew, perhaps even before you connected it to your circuit.

jim hardy said:
Might as well use a calendar.

I'll have to remember that one!

BoB

1. Why is my opamp multivibrator not oscillating?

There could be a few reasons for this. One possibility is that there is a problem with the power supply. Make sure the voltage is within the opamp's operating range and that the power supply is stable. Another possibility is that there is a problem with the circuit connections or components. Check for loose connections or faulty components and make sure the circuit is properly designed and wired. Finally, it is possible that the opamp itself is damaged or malfunctioning.

2. How can I troubleshoot my opamp multivibrator if it is not oscillating?

The first step in troubleshooting is to check the power supply and circuit connections, as these are the most common sources of issues. If those are not the problem, try adjusting the values of the resistors and capacitors in the circuit to see if that affects the oscillation. You can also try using a different opamp to see if the issue is with the specific component. If all else fails, consult a schematic or seek assistance from a knowledgeable individual.

3. Can the frequency of the opamp multivibrator be adjusted?

Yes, the frequency of the opamp multivibrator can be adjusted by changing the values of the resistors and capacitors in the circuit. The frequency is also affected by the gain of the opamp, so adjusting the gain can also alter the oscillation frequency. By experimenting with different component values, you can achieve a desired frequency for your multivibrator.

4. What is the purpose of an opamp multivibrator?

An opamp multivibrator is a type of oscillator circuit that produces a continuous square wave output. It is commonly used in electronic circuits for generating clock signals, producing timing signals, and as a basic building block for more complex circuits. It is also used in applications such as signal processing, instrumentation, and communication systems.

5. Can an opamp multivibrator be used for analog signals?

No, an opamp multivibrator is designed for digital signals and cannot accurately process analog signals. An opamp is a high-gain amplifier that is primarily used for linear amplification of small signals. Its output is limited by its power supply and cannot accurately reproduce the continuous waveform of an analog signal. Therefore, it is not suitable for analog signal processing and is best used for digital applications.