Open balls contained in other open balls

• I
  • Thread starter Mr Davis 97
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Balls
In summary: This might be a suitable place to mention that in the discrete metric, there is a similar closure, but it is not equal to the closure of the open ball.The ##\varepsilon-##notation doesn't make sense in the discrete metric, so I assumed, that you have radii of continuous magnitudes - the usual situation when we consider closed balls. The discrete metric is quite an exception.For the discrete metric, we have as well the inclusion.
Mr Davis 97
I am reading a proof that claims that ##\overline{B_{\epsilon /2}(x)} \subseteq B_{\epsilon}(x)##, where the overline means closure, without really explaining why. It's clear to me that ##B_{\epsilon /2}(x) \subseteq B_{\epsilon}(x)##, but I can't quite see why the former is the case without additional explication.

Physics news on Phys.org
Mr Davis 97 said:
I am reading a proof that claims that ##\overline{B_{\epsilon /2}(x)} \subseteq B_{\epsilon}(x)##, where the overline means closure, without really explaining why. It's clear to me that ##B_{\epsilon /2}(x) \subseteq B_{\epsilon}(x)##, but I can't quite see why the former is the case without additional explication.
Can you describe the closure algebraically? Which points are in the closed ball?

fresh_42 said:
Can you describe the closure algebraically? Which points are in the closed ball?
I'm not sure I am able... I might say that the closure of an open ball is a closed ball with same radius, but I know that this is not necessarily true in general metric spaces. So I'm not really seeing how to characterize the closure of the open ball...

The open ball is ##B_\varepsilon(x) =\{\,y\,|\,d(x,y) <\varepsilon\,\}##. The closure includes all limit points, so what do we get if we take the ##y's## to the limits?

fresh_42 said:
The open ball is ##B_\varepsilon(x) =\{\,y\,|\,d(x,y) <\varepsilon\,\}##. The closure includes all limit points, so what do we get if we take the ##y's## to the limits?
I'm not seeing it... I'm tempted to say that ##\overline{B_\epsilon(x)} = \{y\mid d(x,y)\le \epsilon \}##, but this is just the closed ball, so this can't be right. I don't know what other avenue to take

Mr Davis 97 said:
I'm not seeing it... I'm tempted to say that ##\overline{B_\epsilon(x)} = \{y\mid d(x,y)\le \epsilon \}##, but this is just the closed ball, so this can't be right. I don't know what other avenue to take
Yes, that's the closed ball. So where is your problem? ##d(x,y) \leq \dfrac{\varepsilon}{2} < \varepsilon##

fresh_42 said:
Yes, that's the closed ball. So where is your problem? ##d(x,y) \leq \dfrac{\varepsilon}{2} < \varepsilon##
Let's denote the closed ball by ##\overline{B}_\epsilon(x)##.

So is the idea that ##\overline{B_{\epsilon/2}(x)} \subseteq \overline{B}_{\epsilon/2}(x) \subseteq B_\epsilon(x)##?

I'm not aware of a difference between ##\overline{B_{\varepsilon/2}(x)}## and ##\overline{B}_{\varepsilon/2}(x)##. The idea is simply that everything closer or equal ##\varepsilon/2## is still strictly closer than ##\varepsilon##.

fresh_42 said:
I'm not aware of a difference between ##\overline{B_{\varepsilon/2}(x)}## and ##\overline{B}_{\varepsilon/2}(x)##. The idea is simply that everything closer or equal ##\varepsilon/2## is still strictly closer than ##\varepsilon##.
The difference would be that the closure of an open ball is not necessarily the same as the closed ball with the same radius. This fact is mentioned in the question here https://math.stackexchange.com/ques...sure-of-an-open-ball-equal-to-the-closed-ball

Mr Davis 97 said:
The difference would be that the closure of an open ball is not necessarily the same as the closed ball with the same radius. This fact is mentioned in the question here https://math.stackexchange.com/ques...sure-of-an-open-ball-equal-to-the-closed-ball
The ##\varepsilon-##notation doesn't make sense in the discrete metric, so I assumed, that you have radii of continuous magnitudes - the usual situation when we consider closed balls. The discrete metric is quite an exception.

Likes Mr Davis 97
For the discrete metric, we have as well the inclusion.

## \emptyset \; , \; \{\,x\,\}\; , \; X## are the only sets to be considered here, because as soon as a second point is within a ball, the entire space ##X## is. And ##x## is within the balls, so we only consider ##\{\,x\,\}## and ##X##.

The only way to get ## B_\varepsilon(x) \subseteq \overline{B_{\varepsilon /2}(x)} ## is to have ## B_\varepsilon(x) =\{\,x\,\} ## and ## \overline{B_{\varepsilon /2}(x)}=X##. The first condition yields ##\varepsilon < 1##, so ##\varepsilon /2 < 1/2## and ## \overline{B_{\varepsilon /2}(x)} = \{\,x\,\} ## and they are equal again.

There is a result, possibly for some a definition, in the metric case , that if x is in Class(S) then d(x,S)=0.

What does it mean for an open ball to be contained in another open ball?

An open ball is a set of points that are all within a certain distance from a given point. So, if an open ball A is contained in another open ball B, it means that all the points in A are also within B.

How do you determine if one open ball is contained in another?

To determine if one open ball is contained in another, you need to compare the radius and center of each ball. If the radius of the smaller ball is less than the radius of the larger ball, and the distance between their centers is less than the difference between their radii, then the smaller ball is contained within the larger one.

Can an open ball be contained in more than one open ball?

Yes, it is possible for an open ball to be contained in more than one open ball. This can happen if the radius of the smaller ball is less than the difference between the radii of multiple larger balls.

Is an open ball always contained in itself?

No, an open ball is not always considered to be contained in itself. This is because the definition of containment requires the smaller set of points to be completely within the larger set, and an open ball's boundary points are not considered to be part of the set.

What is the relationship between open balls and open sets?

Open balls are a type of open set, as they contain all of their interior points and are not considered to contain their boundary points. However, not all open sets are open balls. Open sets can take on various shapes and forms, while open balls are always in the shape of a sphere.