1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Open Bounded subset with non-zero measure boundary

1. Sep 20, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let m be the Lebesgue measure on [itex] \mathbb R^d [/itex], and define the open sets [itex] O_n = \{ x \in \mathbb R^d : d(x,E) < \frac1n \} [/itex] where
    [tex] d(A,B) = \inf\{ |x-y| : x \in A, y \in B \} [/tex]

1) Find a closed and unbounded set E such that [itex] \lim_{n\to\infty} m(O_n) \neq m(E) [/itex].

2) Find an open and bounded set E such that [itex] \lim_{n\to\infty} m(O_n) \neq m(E) [/itex].

3. The attempt at a solution

This is technically the second part to question, which was to show that if E is compact then the limits do in fact hold. I think I might have the first part. In particular, I've just chosen a countable number of copies of the cantor set C in [itex] \mathbb R[/itex]. This set has zero measure, but [itex] m(O_n) = \infty [/itex] for every [itex] n \in \mathbb N [/itex] and so the limits don't converge.

My real issue is trying to find an open bounded set. My first thoughts were to try the complement to the cantor set [itex] [0,1]\setminus C [/itex] but this doesn't seem to produce the desired results. In particular, I know that we must have that [itex] m(E) < m(O_n) [/itex] by monotonicity, but since E is open (and we'll assume non-empty) then m(E) > 0, so there won't be any 0 = infinity mumbo jumbo here. In particular, it seems to me that the set I want will be one such that m(E) is not the same as m(cl E) where cl E is the closure of E. That is, the boundary of E will have non-zero measure. I just can't think of such a set.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?