1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Open sets on the unit circle?

1. Oct 9, 2009 #1

gmn

The question I had was to show that if a function is continuous, open and bijective then it is a homeomorphism. At first I said "no" because I thought of the example showing that [0,2pi) is not homeomorphic to the unit circle S. I knew that f(x)=(sinx,cosx) is a continuous bijection whose inverse fails to be continuous. I don't need help answering this question (I know that it is a homeomorphism) but I am confused because I keep reading that f fails to take open sets in [0,2pi) to open sets in the circle and intuitively (the reason I first thought the answer was no) I thought that f would take open sets to open sets. Specifically I read that f takes some open intervals in [0,2pi) to half-open intervals in S, and I couldn't figure out what half-open intervals in S means or what they would be. I also read that [a,b) is an open interval in R, which makes me confused because I would think that [a,b) is niether closed nor open in R. I thought I understood open sets but I don't think I do that well now.

I guess a concrete version of my question is how does f(x)=(sinx,cosx) fail to take open sets in [0,2pi) to open sets in S, specifically what are they? Is it because the circle is really in R2 ?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 9, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You need to restrict the topology of the real line to the interval I=[0,2*pi). So the 'open sets' in I are intersections of open sets in the reals with I. E.g., (-pi,pi) intersect I is open in I. That means [0,pi) is an open set in the induced topology. 'I' is the whole space.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook