Understanding Open Sets and Homeomorphisms on the Unit Circle

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a function being a homeomorphism if it is continuous, open, and bijective. The example of [0,2pi) and the unit circle S is mentioned, where the function f(x)=(sinx,cosx) is a continuous bijection but its inverse is not continuous. The confusion arises when it is stated that f does not take open sets in [0,2pi) to open sets in S, specifically half-open intervals in S. The question is clarified by restricting the topology of the real line to the interval I=[0,2*pi) and considering open sets in I as intersections of open sets in the reals with I.
gmn
The question I had was to show that if a function is continuous, open and bijective then it is a homeomorphism. At first I said "no" because I thought of the example showing that [0,2pi) is not homeomorphic to the unit circle S. I knew that f(x)=(sinx,cosx) is a continuous bijection whose inverse fails to be continuous. I don't need help answering this question (I know that it is a homeomorphism) but I am confused because I keep reading that f fails to take open sets in [0,2pi) to open sets in the circle and intuitively (the reason I first thought the answer was no) I thought that f would take open sets to open sets. Specifically I read that f takes some open intervals in [0,2pi) to half-open intervals in S, and I couldn't figure out what half-open intervals in S means or what they would be. I also read that [a,b) is an open interval in R, which makes me confused because I would think that [a,b) is niether closed nor open in R. I thought I understood open sets but I don't think I do that well now.

I guess a concrete version of my question is how does f(x)=(sinx,cosx) fail to take open sets in [0,2pi) to open sets in S, specifically what are they? Is it because the circle is really in R2 ?

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to restrict the topology of the real line to the interval I=[0,2*pi). So the 'open sets' in I are intersections of open sets in the reals with I. E.g., (-pi,pi) intersect I is open in I. That means [0,pi) is an open set in the induced topology. 'I' is the whole space.

1. What is an open set on the unit circle?

An open set on the unit circle is a subset of the unit circle (a circle with a radius of 1 centered at the origin) that contains only points on the circle's circumference and does not include any of its interior points.

2. How is an open set on the unit circle different from a closed set?

An open set on the unit circle does not include any of its interior points, while a closed set includes both its boundary points and its interior points. In other words, an open set does not contain its boundary points, while a closed set does.

3. Can an open set on the unit circle be uncountable?

Yes, an open set on the unit circle can be uncountable. For example, the set of all points on the unit circle with irrational coordinates is an uncountable open set on the unit circle.

4. How are open sets on the unit circle used in topology?

In topology, open sets on the unit circle are used to define a topology on the unit circle. This topology is a collection of sets that satisfy certain properties, such as being open and closed under finite intersections and arbitrary unions. It allows for the study of continuity, connectedness, and other important concepts in mathematics.

5. Can a closed set on the unit circle also be an open set?

No, a closed set on the unit circle cannot also be an open set. This is because a closed set includes all of its boundary points, while an open set does not. Therefore, a set cannot be both open and closed at the same time.