Open Source Spaceframe recumbent bike build

In summary, the build plans ask for 25mm square aluminium tubing with 2mm material thickness. You can find metal stock in metric sizes at most metal supply houses, and tolerances aren't critical.
Tom Clane
Okay, so I'm new to this forum, but I'm hoping I can get some help. I live in the United States, and I'm having trouble converting from metric to standard with the build plans given. I want to build the open source Spaceframe recumbent bike which the build plans can be found herehttp://www.n55.dk/manuals/spaceframevehicles/DIY.pdf The problem, the entire build plan is in metric, and I'm not sure about the best method to go about converting metric build plans to standard.

Specifically, the build plans ask for 25mm square aluminium tubing with 2mm material thickness. Can someone maybe point me in the right direction as to how I should go about this build? Can I buy these materials at say Home Depot that would be the same size?

Thanks for any help I receive. I have no degree in any kind of mechanical engineering, and I've only taken a beginners level physics course in college. I'm building this bike, because recumbent bikes are out of my price range to buy outright. This open source design is supposed to be strong, cheap, and effective.

Physics news on Phys.org
Tom Clane said:
Okay, so I'm new to this forum, but I'm hoping I can get some help. I live in the United States, and I'm having trouble converting from metric to standard with the build plans given. I want to build the open source Spaceframe recumbent bike which the build plans can be found herehttp://www.n55.dk/manuals/spaceframevehicles/DIY.pdf The problem, the entire build plan is in metric, and I'm not sure about the best method to go about converting metric build plans to standard.

Specifically, the build plans ask for 25mm square aluminium tubing with 2mm material thickness. Can someone maybe point me in the right direction as to how I should go about this build? Can I buy these materials at say Home Depot that would be the same size?

Thanks for any help I receive. I have no degree in any kind of mechanical engineering, and I've only taken a beginners level physics course in college. I'm building this bike, because recumbent bikes are out of my price range to buy outright. This open source design is supposed to be strong, cheap, and effective.

Welcome to the PF.

I would think you should be able to get metal stock in metric sizes at most metal supply houses. Have you tried searching in your area for Metal Supply House or similar?

Keep in mind also that for a bike the tolerances aren't critical. If you just use a standard conversion chart and happen to be out by .01", nobody will notice. Anything where clearances are important such as hubs will be prebuilt to spec anyhow.

Likes Tom Clane
You can use inch dimensioned material. As a guide, use the following translations.

Bolts;
For M6 use 1/4”
For M8 use 5/16”

Aluminium;
2mm is 0.08”
3mm is 1/8” (= 3.175mm)
3.5mm use 1/8” or 5/32”
4.0mm is 5/32”
22 mm is 7/8”
25 mm is 1”
30 mm is 1.25”
60 mm is 2.5”

Likes Tom Clane
Baluncore said:
You can use inch dimensioned material. As a guide, use the following translations.

Bolts;
For M6 use 1/4”
For M8 use 5/16”

Aluminium;
2mm is 0.08”
3mm is 1/8” (= 3.175mm)
3.5mm use 1/8” or 5/32”
4.0mm is 5/32”
22 mm is 7/8”
25 mm is 1”
30 mm is 1.25”
60 mm is 2.5”

This is helpful, thanks. I managed to find a fairly cheap Aluminum square tubing on the Home Depot website which had similar dimensions. I'll keep this thread updated on the progress, and hopefully receive more help that will most likely be needed.

Looking forward to it. I might not be of any assistance, but that's never stopped me from chirping up before and it won't now.

Likes Tom Clane

What is an open source spaceframe recumbent bike build?

An open source spaceframe recumbent bike build is a project in which individuals collaborate and share their knowledge and resources to design and build a recumbent bike with a spaceframe structure. This means that the design and instructions for building the bike are open and available for anyone to access and modify.

Why would someone choose to build an open source spaceframe recumbent bike?

There are several reasons why someone might choose to build an open source spaceframe recumbent bike. One reason is that it allows for customization and personalization of the bike, as individuals can modify the design to fit their specific needs and preferences. Additionally, building an open source bike can be a cost-effective alternative to buying a pre-made bike, as individuals can use readily available materials and parts.

What are the benefits of using a spaceframe structure in a recumbent bike?

A spaceframe structure offers several benefits for a recumbent bike. It is lightweight yet strong and durable, making it ideal for a bike that needs to support the weight of a rider. It also allows for more flexibility and adjustability in terms of size and design, as the frame can be easily modified to fit different body types and riding styles.

Do I need any special skills or tools to build an open source spaceframe recumbent bike?

While having some basic knowledge of bike mechanics and construction can be helpful, it is not necessary to have any special skills to build an open source spaceframe recumbent bike. The instructions and design are usually created with the average person in mind, and the use of basic tools and materials makes it accessible to a wide range of individuals.

Can I make modifications to the open source design for my own purposes?

Yes, one of the main principles of the open source community is the ability to modify and improve upon existing designs. As long as you credit the original creators and share your modifications with others, you are free to make any changes to the open source spaceframe recumbent bike design to suit your needs.