1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Open-string mode expansion

1. Jan 21, 2006 #1
    Compute the mode expansion for an open string with Neumann boundary conditions for the coordinates X^0,..., X^24, while the remaining coordinate X^25 satisfies Dirichlet boundary conditions at both ends:
    [tex]
    \[
    X^{25}(0, \tau) = X^{25}_0 \quad \text{and} \quad X^{25}(\pi, \tau) = X^{25}_\pi \, .
    \]
    [/tex]

-------

I know that the mode expansion is a sum of left- and right-moving modes
    (in the light-cone coordinates [tex]\sigma - \tau[/tex] and [tex]\sigma+\tau[/tex].)

The expression for the X^\mu in the open-string expansion is
    [tex]
    \[
    X^\mu(\tau, \sigma) = x^\mu + \ell^2_s p^\mu \tau + i\ell_s \sum_{m \neq 0} \frac{\alpha^\mu_m}{m} \, e^{-im\tau} \cos (m\sigma) \, ,
    \]
    [/tex]

but I'm not sure how to fit the Dirichlet conditions in the twenty-fifth coordinate.

Edit: Sorry, here are definitions for some of the symbols:

tau and sigma are timelike and spacelike coordinates, respectively. They parameterize the world-sheet and appear in the embedding functions X^\mu.

The [tex]\alpha^\mu_m[/tex] are actually operators that have harmonic-oscillator-like commutation relations:
    [tex]
    \[
    [\alpha^\mu_m, \alpha^\nu_n] = m \eta^{\mu\nu} \delta_{m+n, 0} \, .
    \]
    [/tex]

Last edited: Jan 22, 2006
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?