1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Operational amplifier exam questions

1. Jun 22, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

See attached file for relevant questions. I'm finding the Op-amp questions in section A very difficult. Any help with these questions would be much apprietiated.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 22, 2011 #2

uart

Science Advisor

I think you should choose one particular question (part) to ask about. You can always ask another question later.

4. Jun 22, 2011 #3
    Okay, that seems more sensible.
    I have attemped Question 1. Am I correct in saying that you would draw the Inverting Op-amp circuit diagram, remove the op-amp component since the inputs have a very large input impedance (and thus no current flows into them), and label the virtual earth point between the feedback and input resistors?
    Also, the gain would be given by -Rf/Rin, therefore, -1M/100K = -10

Last edited: Jun 22, 2011
  5. Jun 22, 2011 #4

uart

Science Advisor

Yes that is correct, however this question is more about frequency response and gain bandwidth product.

From the question see if you can figure out the following.

- What is the opamp DC gain (without feedback)
    - What is the opamp 3dB bandwidth (dominant pole)
    - What is the opamp gain bandwidth product.

* BTW. There is a bit of a trick with this question in that the relevant closed loop gain (for calculating gain-BW product) for the inverting opamp is actually 1+|A_cl|.

6. Jun 23, 2011 #5
    Thanks for your reply. To caluate the DC gain (without feedback) would I use:
    A_d = 2x10^5 / (1+jf/7) and set f=0 since it is DC. Therefore, I get A_d = 2x10^5. In dB, this is a gain of 106.02 dB. To find the -3dB point, do 106.02 - 3 = 103.02dB and convert back to magnitude using, 10^(103.02/20) = 141579.
    Am I on the right path to the solution?

7. Jun 23, 2011 #6

uart

Science Advisor

Yep A_0 = 2x10^5 is good. :)

The -3dB point does occur at approx 141400 (gain) but that's a really long winded way to go about finding it. The -3dB points are defined as having a gain of 1/sqrt(2) times the maximum, so you could just divide 2x10^5 by sqrt(2) to get there more easily.

More importantly however you don't actually need to find that -3dB gain (141400) in order to find the -3dB frequency. Just look at the transfer function A_d = 2x10^5 / (1 + j (f/7) ) and tell me what value of "f" you need to make the magnitude of the denominator equal to sqrt(2).

Hint : What is the magnitude of (1+j) ?

8. Jun 23, 2011 #7
    The magnitude of (1+j) is sqrt(2) or 1.414. So therefore f would be 7Hz at the -3dB point.

9. Jun 23, 2011 #8

uart

Science Advisor

Yep that's correct. So therefore the gain bandwidth product is 7x2x10^5 = 1.4x10^6 Hz.

10. Jun 23, 2011 #9
    Okay. So Gain-bandwidth product = Open-loop gain X cut-off frequency. Is this the answer to the small signal bandwidth or is there a lot more computation to do? (I'm guessing there is more to do)

Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
  11. Jun 23, 2011 #10

uart

Science Advisor

No there's not much more to it, that's the simplicity and beauty of the "gain bandwidth product" method.

The open loop gain times the open loop -3dB freq is approx equal to the closed loop gain times the closed loop frequency. That is, the gain bandwidth product is approximately a constant.

BTW. The gain bandwidth product is most accurate for the non-inverting configuration, so make sure you review my hint in reply #4 above.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook