Operator and Commutor Question

• Thread starter Domnu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Operator
In summary, the conversation is discussing how to go from steps 141 and 142 to step 143 in the given website. The result in step 143 should be A_{new} = e^{i \gamma} A_{old} e^{i \gamma}, and there is confusion about how step 144 works. The summary explains how step 144 works by transforming an operator and considering its effect on a function. It also confirms that the steps taken in the conversation are correct.
Domnu
In this site: http://farside.ph.utexas.edu/teaching/qm/lectures/node23.html , how does one go from steps 141, 142 to 143? Shouldn't the result in 143 be [tex]A_{new} = e^{i \gamma} A_{old} e^{i \gamma}[/tex] ? Also, how does step 144 work (the entire thing from left to right?)

For step 144, here's how I see it (assuming step 143 is correct):

[tex]e^{-i \gamma} \frac{d}{dx} e^{i \gamma} = i e^{-i \gamma} \frac{d \gamma}{dx} e^{i \gamma} = i e^{-i \gamma} e^{i \gamma} \frac{d \gamma}{dx} = i \frac{d \gamma}{dx}[/tex]

in other words, I don't see how the extra [tex]d/dx[/tex] term popped up. Also, is my above work correct? I effectively stated that [tex]d\gamma/dx[/tex] and [tex]e^{i \gamma}[/tex] commuted as operators since they're both functions of [tex]x[/tex].

Physics news on Phys.org
Domnu said:
In this site: http://farside.ph.utexas.edu/teaching/qm/lectures/node23.html , how does one go from steps 141, 142 to 143? Shouldn't the result in 143 be [tex]A_{new} = e^{i \gamma} A_{old} e^{i \gamma}[/tex] ?

You want [tex]\langle_{new}A_{new}\rangle_{new}[/tex] to be the same as [tex]\langle_{old}A_{old}\rangle_{old}[/tex].
By putting in the old bras and kets for the new ones, you get:
[tex]\langle_{old} e^{i \gamma}A_{new} e^{- i \gamma}\rangle_{old}[/tex].
In order to compensate these additional terms, you have to replace [tex]A_{new}[/tex] by [tex]e^{-i \gamma}A_{old} e^{i \gamma}[/tex] as stated in your reference.

Domnu said:
Also, how does step 144 work (the entire thing from left to right?)

For step 144, here's how I see it (assuming step 143 is correct):

[tex]e^{-i \gamma} \frac{d}{dx} e^{i \gamma} = i e^{-i \gamma} \frac{d \gamma}{dx} e^{i \gamma} = i e^{-i \gamma} e^{i \gamma} \frac{d \gamma}{dx} = i \frac{d \gamma}{dx}[/tex]

in other words, I don't see how the extra [tex]d/dx[/tex] term popped up. Also, is my above work correct? I effectively stated that [tex]d\gamma/dx[/tex] and [tex]e^{i \gamma}[/tex] commuted as operators since they're both functions of [tex]x[/tex].

Remember, that you are transforming an operator. Operators usually work on some kind of function. Just imagine, that it works on some function f(x) and it will get much clearer. Then:

[tex]e^{-i \gamma} \frac{d}{dx} e^{i \gamma} f(x) = i e^{-i \gamma} \frac{d \gamma}{dx} e^{i \gamma} f(x) + \frac{d f(x)}{dx}=i \frac{d \gamma}{dx} f(x)+\frac{d f(x)}{dx}[/tex]

So it is more or less the derivative of a product, which you have to keep in mind.

Thanks a bunch =]

FAQ: Operator and Commutor Question

What is an operator?

An operator is a symbol or word that is used to perform a specific mathematical or logical operation on one or more operands. Examples of operators include addition (+), subtraction (-), multiplication (*), division (/), and comparison (==).

What is a commutator?

A commutator is a part of a machine or device that changes the direction of a flow of electricity or other energy. In mathematics, a commutator is defined as an operator that measures the difference between two other operators.

What is the difference between an operator and a commutator?

An operator is a symbol or word used to perform a specific operation, while a commutator is a device or operator that changes the direction of a flow of energy or measures the difference between two other operators.

What is the role of operators in mathematics?

Operators are essential in mathematics as they allow us to perform operations and calculations on numbers and other mathematical entities. They are the building blocks of mathematical expressions and equations.

How are operators and commutators used in science?

Operators and commutators are used in various scientific fields, such as physics, chemistry, and engineering. In physics, operators are used to represent physical quantities and perform calculations in quantum mechanics. In chemistry, commutators are used to describe the properties of molecules and chemical reactions. In engineering, operators are used to design and control complex systems and processes.