Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Operators on Tensor States

1. Oct 10, 2009 #1
    Hey,

My brain seems to have shut down. Lets say I'm working in the space [itex] H_a \otimes H_b [/itex] and I have an operator A and B on each of these spaces respectively. Furthermore, consider a general state in the tensor space [itex] |\psi \rangle = | x_1 \rangle |y_1\rangle + |x_2 \rangle |y_2 \rangle [/itex] (ignoring normalization). Now in my head, I keep on thinking that if I wanted to apply the operator [itex] A \otimes B [/itex] to [itex] | \psi \rangle [/itex] I couldn't simply go

[tex] A \otimes B | \psi \rangle = A| x_1 \rangle B|y_1\rangle + A|x_2 \rangle B|y_2 \rangle [/tex]

However, I was playing around with some values today (assuming finite dimensions), and from what I tried it always seemed to work. Can we do this in general, or did I just get lucky in all my trials?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 10, 2009 #2
    It's fine. First, AxB is defined so that (AxB)(|y> x |z>)=(A|y> x B|z>), and second, the operator (AxB) is linear on the tensor space...call [tex](A\times B)=O[/tex] and [tex]|y> \times |z>=\Psi[/tex]. Then [tex]O (\Psi_1+\Psi_2)=(O\Psi_{1}+O\Psi_{2})[/tex]. Then use the first property for each of the terms. (the "x" is product)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook