Can Operators A and B Always Be Applied to a General State in Tensor Space?

In summary, the conversation discusses the application of operators A and B on a general state in the tensor space. There is a question about whether the operator AxB can be applied to the state |psi> in the form A|y>xB|z>, which is confirmed to be possible through the linearity of the operator. The properties of AxB are also mentioned, including its definition and linearity on the tensor space.
Kreizhn
Hey,

My brain seems to have shut down. Let's say I'm working in the space [itex] H_a \otimes H_b [/itex] and I have an operator A and B on each of these spaces respectively. Furthermore, consider a general state in the tensor space [itex] |\psi \rangle = | x_1 \rangle |y_1\rangle + |x_2 \rangle |y_2 \rangle [/itex] (ignoring normalization). Now in my head, I keep on thinking that if I wanted to apply the operator [itex] A \otimes B [/itex] to [itex] | \psi \rangle [/itex] I couldn't simply go

[tex] A \otimes B | \psi \rangle = A| x_1 \rangle B|y_1\rangle + A|x_2 \rangle B|y_2 \rangle [/tex]

However, I was playing around with some values today (assuming finite dimensions), and from what I tried it always seemed to work. Can we do this in general, or did I just get lucky in all my trials?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's fine. First, AxB is defined so that (AxB)(|y> x |z>)=(A|y> x B|z>), and second, the operator (AxB) is linear on the tensor space...call [tex](A\times B)=O[/tex] and [tex]|y> \times |z>=\Psi[/tex]. Then [tex]O (\Psi_1+\Psi_2)=(O\Psi_{1}+O\Psi_{2})[/tex]. Then use the first property for each of the terms. (the "x" is product)

Hey there! It's totally understandable that your brain may feel a bit overwhelmed when thinking about operators on tensor states. Let's break it down and see if we can make it a bit clearer for you.

First, it's important to note that the tensor product of two Hilbert spaces, denoted as H_a \otimes H_b, is a new Hilbert space formed by the combination of the two original spaces. This means that any operators acting on this new space must also be defined on the tensor product space.

Now, let's consider your general state |\psi \rangle = | x_1 \rangle |y_1\rangle + |x_2 \rangle |y_2 \rangle. This state is a combination of two basis states, one from H_a and one from H_b. So, when we apply the operator A \otimes B to this state, we are essentially applying A to the first basis state and B to the second basis state.

In other words, A \otimes B |\psi \rangle = A| x_1 \rangle B|y_1\rangle + A|x_2 \rangle B|y_2 \rangle. This is because A and B are defined on the tensor product space.

Now, whether this works for all cases or not depends on the specific operators A and B and the state |\psi \rangle. In general, if A and B are defined on the tensor product space, then this will work. However, if they are defined on different spaces, then this may not be the case.

I hope this helps clarify things a bit for you. Remember, operators on tensor states can be tricky, so don't be too hard on yourself if it takes some time to fully understand it. Keep exploring and playing with different values and states, and you'll get the hang of it in no time!

1. What are operators on tensor states?

Operators on tensor states are mathematical operations that act on a tensor, which is a mathematical object that represents a vector or a set of vectors. These operators can include linear transformations, rotations, and other operations that change the properties of the tensor.

2. How are operators on tensor states used in physics?

Operators on tensor states are used in physics to describe the behavior of physical systems. They are particularly useful in quantum mechanics, where they are used to calculate the probabilities of different outcomes of a measurement on a quantum system.

3. What is the difference between operators on tensor states and operators on Hilbert spaces?

Operators on tensor states and operators on Hilbert spaces are both used in quantum mechanics, but they act on different mathematical objects. Operators on tensor states act on tensors, while operators on Hilbert spaces act on elements of a more abstract mathematical space called a Hilbert space.

4. How do operators on tensor states relate to observables in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, observables are quantities that can be measured in an experiment. Operators on tensor states are used to calculate the probabilities of different outcomes of a measurement of an observable. The eigenvalues of the operator correspond to the possible outcomes of the measurement.

5. Are there any limitations to using operators on tensor states?

Like any mathematical tool, there are limitations to using operators on tensor states. They are most useful in describing systems with a finite number of degrees of freedom, and may not be applicable to systems with infinite degrees of freedom. Additionally, the results obtained from using operators on tensor states may not always match experimental observations, and further refinement may be needed to accurately describe a physical system.