Opinions on infinitely close things?

• Thread starter Radarithm
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Opinions
Some mathematicians argue that there can be no number "infinitely close" to another number, as any difference, no matter how small, would still make them distinct numbers.In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of infinitely close objects or numbers. While some believe in the existence of these objects, others argue that there can never be a number that is infinitely close to another number due to the fact that any difference, no matter how small, would still make them distinct numbers. The topic also delves into the idea of a smallest positive real number and whether it truly exists.
Radarithm
Gold Member
What are your opinions on infinitely close objects / numbers?
I believe in them, because I can say 3.9 is close to four, but 3.999 is as well, and so is 3.99999999.
I've heard of LOTS of scientists who disagree with this, can anyone prove this wrong (or right)?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I would agree that 3.9 is close to four, and 3.999 is closer to it even, but no finite amount of 9's will make it equal to four.

I suggest reading https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=507001 first, then we'll talk :)

Last edited by a moderator:
The distance between two nonequal real numbers is a positive real number. Since there is no smallest positive real number, there is no number ##x## "infinitely close to" ##y## with ##x \neq y##.

Proof that there is no smallest positive real number: you supply your candidate ##x > 0##, I'll respond with ##x/2##.

It depends on how you define "number".

As a scientist, my opinion on infinitely close objects or numbers is that they exist in theory but may not necessarily exist in reality. In mathematics, the concept of infinitesimally small quantities is used to solve certain problems and equations, but in the physical world, there is a limit to how small something can be. For example, in quantum mechanics, the Planck length is considered to be the smallest possible length in the universe.

However, in some cases, the concept of infinitely close numbers can be useful in approximations and calculations. For example, when dealing with limits in calculus, we use the concept of approaching a value infinitely close to a certain point.

Ultimately, whether or not infinitely close objects or numbers exist is a philosophical and mathematical debate. While some scientists may believe in their existence, others may argue that they are simply a theoretical concept. It is important to consider the context and application of these concepts in order to determine their validity.

1. What are infinitely close things?

Infinitely close things refer to objects or points that are an infinitesimally small distance apart from each other. In other words, they are so close that they cannot be measured or distinguished from each other.

2. Why are opinions on infinitely close things important?

Opinions on infinitely close things are important because they can have a significant impact on our understanding of the world and how we make decisions. They can also lead to debates and discussions about the nature of reality and the limits of our perception.

3. How do scientists study infinitely close things?

Scientists study infinitely close things using mathematical tools and concepts such as limits, derivatives, and integrals. They also use advanced technology and techniques such as microscopy and spectroscopy to observe and analyze these objects.

4. Are there different opinions on infinitely close things?

Yes, there can be different opinions on infinitely close things depending on the perspective and interpretation of the individual. Some may argue that infinitely close things do not exist in reality, while others may argue that they are essential for understanding the world.

5. What impact do opinions on infinitely close things have on science?

Opinions on infinitely close things have a significant impact on science as they can shape the development of theories, hypotheses, and experiments. They can also lead to new discoveries and advancements in various fields of science, such as mathematics, physics, and biology.