1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Opinions on Photonics Engineering?

1. Nov 10, 2005 #1
    It's a special 5 year program thats one of a kind in Canada only offered at MacMaster University. I only know that it revolves around the concept of medical technology development but I wasn't sure in detail what this field was. It sounds really good but from the look of the course load, it looks pretty demanding as well.

Thoughts on this?
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2005 #2
    At my University there is a Photonics course. Photonics is the study of light and its applications (this isn't necessarily confined to the medical industry). Photonics has huge practical applications in the telecommunications industry (I'm sure that you've heard of fiber-optics). I am due to start this course in March and I'm really looking foward to it.

4. Nov 11, 2005 #3
    A word of caution, the photonics course at MacMaster University may focus on medical applications, and might not include all the uses of photics (I'm sure that you relise that courses differ in what they teach from Uni to Uni.

In regards to your comment that it sounds demanding. The maths probably is but I think that photonics is going to be a highly coverted area in Physics, as it has the potential to create superior technology.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?