Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Optical Output power of LED

1. Dec 27, 2015 #1
    Hi, i was doing a science project on LEDs, and i needed to calculate optical output power versus input electrical power to find relative wall plug efficiency.
    This is the only good formula i found
    Optical output power of LED (watts) =Nlinearfactor × Voltage drop across resistor (volts)
    Pout = N × Vres
    What is N exactly? I do not know how to calculate optical output power as I dont know what help is. Id appreciate help a lot, thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 27, 2015 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF.

I'd start with a good datasheet for a typical LED. There should be curves for optical output versus current. The old Hewlett Packard LED datasheets were especially complete. Can you post a link to a detailed LED datasheet that has some of the numbers you are looking for? :smile:

4. Dec 27, 2015 #3
    Heres a more complete post:
    Hi, i was doing a science project on LEDs, and i needed to calculate optical output power versus input electrical power to find relative wall plug efficiency.
    This is the only good formula i found
    Optical output power of LED (watts) =Nlinearfactor × Voltage drop across resistor (volts)
    Pout = N × Vres
    What is N exactly? I do not know how to calculate optical output power as I dont know what help is. Id appreciate help a lot, thanks.
    All the values I have are experimental. Im trying to calculate the relative wall plug efficiency of an LED. heres my data right now.
    I do not have a data sheet and the steps Im following at this point are somewhat modeled of those shown here:
    http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-fair-projects/project_ideas/Energy_p003.shtml#procedure
    in the testing and data collection section.

Voltage across resistor (V) ± .01 = 2.49

Distance from photocell to light (cm) ± .05 = 4.00

Voltage across light (V) ± .01 = 5.75

Current intensity (mA) ± .01 = 360
    If N is just something I have to leave as a variable, then what is the point of measuring the distance between the photocell and the light bulb? In the experiment I moved the breadboard closer or further to get 2.5v across the resistor, as thats what I understood from the procedure. Was I supposed to do that? What do I do with the value for the distance between the photocell and light bulb?

Last edited: Dec 27, 2015
  5. Dec 27, 2015 #4

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

that experiment doesn't give a value for N, only compares N for LED vs incandescent lamp.
    Try this datasheet..

http://www.vishay.com/docs/81011/tsal6400.pdf

and see if this helps you estimate N for that particular LED

upload_2015-12-27_14-55-57.png

good opportunity to learn about steradians .

6. Dec 27, 2015 #5

meBigGuy

Gold Member

From the project link:
    N cannot be determined easily, as it depends on the light emission vs. angle for each source.

The project is
    1. Build a light detector. Don't worry about the detector's N since we assume it is constant across all emitters.
    2. Try different sources and calculate input power vs output power (efficiency) using the detector.

You don't really need to know N to determine relative efficiency of two different sources since they assume the detector's N is the same for all sources. They also assume the detector is 100% efficient, that is, it is detecting all the light from each source (or a similar fraction).
    "Since you are not collecting all of the light at the light-to-voltage converter (some of the light goes off to the side), the calculation is relative."

When you take the ratio of the two sources, the N will cancel out.

In other words, you are sort of measuring light output in units of N. N goes away when you take ratios of two measurements.

If you want to measure the absolute power of a single emitter, you need to somehow calibrate the detector, which requires a known source, etc.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook