1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Optical physics and frame of reference...

Tags:
  1. Feb 23, 2016 #1
    What kind of frame of reference do I have to choose when I'm studiyng lens and mirrors?

As far as I know you consider positive the direction where the rays are real and negative the one where the rays are virtual, is that always true?

Why can't we study a problem of optics choosing a frame of reference as we are supposed to do when we are studiyng a problem of dynamics?

Is there a more formal motivation?

As far as I know is because the equation 1/p + 1/q = 1/f is correct only when we are considering negative the virtual rays and positive the real ones, the same for mirrors.

Just another thing, why is that equation correct also for mirrors? I know the demonstration but is there something Inew the nature that makes this special

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2016 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook