Optical physics and frame of reference....

In summary, when studying lens and mirrors, it is important to choose a frame of reference where the direction of real rays is considered positive and the direction of virtual rays is considered negative. This convention is necessary for the equation 1/p + 1/q = 1/f to be correct. This convention also applies to mirrors, and can be further researched by looking into the Cartesian sign convention or authoritative textbooks.
physics user1
What kind of frame of reference do I have to choose when I'm studiyng lens and mirrors?

As far as I know you consider positive the direction where the rays are real and negative the one where the rays are virtual, is that always true?

Why can't we study a problem of optics choosing a frame of reference as we are supposed to do when we are studiyng a problem of dynamics?

Is there a more formal motivation?

As far as I know is because the equation 1/p + 1/q = 1/f is correct only when we are considering negative the virtual rays and positive the real ones, the same for mirrors.

Just another thing, why is that equation correct also for mirrors? I know the demonstration but is there something Inew the nature that makes this special

Science news on Phys.org

What is optical physics?

Optical physics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior and properties of light. It involves the study of how light interacts with matter, how it is produced and detected, and how it can be manipulated.

What is a frame of reference in physics?

A frame of reference is a set of coordinates used to describe the position and motion of objects in space and time. It serves as a reference point from which measurements and observations can be made.

How does optical physics relate to other branches of physics?

Optical physics is closely related to other branches of physics, such as electromagnetism and quantum mechanics. It helps to explain phenomena such as the behavior of light in different media, the photoelectric effect, and the wave-particle duality of light.

What are some practical applications of optical physics?

Optical physics has many practical applications, including in the fields of telecommunications, medicine, and astronomy. It is also used in the development of technologies such as lasers, fiber optics, and optical sensors.

What is the importance of understanding frame of reference in physics?

Understanding frame of reference is crucial in physics because it allows us to accurately describe and predict the motion of objects. It also helps us to understand the concept of relativity and how different observers may have different perceptions of the same event.