Optics for Graduate Engineering: Pre-Req E&M Knowledge?

In summary, it seems that for someone who wants to study optics professionally, it is necessary to have at least two semesters of undergraduate E&M courses.
jmills11
Does anyone know how much undergraduate E&M you need to know in order to do well in a graduate engineering Optics course? Is it an absolute pre-requisite?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, it seems it is. As a biochemist student exploring biophysics options, it seems that for me I have to take E&M courses, and sometimes mechanics, before I get to take a course on electrodynamics or optics. I think these courses can be useful for me, but I suspect I might never use 90% of what I will learn in my professional career, and there's so many other courses that I can take that have direct applications.

For math and physics, programs are going to be very rigid. If I end finding the need for optics myself, I'd take E&M first to get a foundation. Even if you know the math, if you don't know the physics, I assume it is just going to be a hassle and probably a waste of time.

I guess you also aren't a physics student so maybe you are in a similar position. And in the end 'absolute prerequisite' means if they will allow you without it or not. I mean, if they allow student without E&M to take the course, but they fail 100% of the time, I guess it isn't an 'absolute prerequisite'.

Likes jmills11
It's hard for us to answer that question since it probably depends on your university and/or specific program. However, probably at least two semesters of E&M will be needed.

It's an Electrical Engineering graduate level optics course at Colorado State University

I would say, the classical electrodynamics part of any EM textbook will be able to cover any possibilities of optical engineering curriculum.

Likes jmills11
jmills11 said:
It's an Electrical Engineering graduate level optics course at Colorado State University
Did you look in their course catalog? It is almost certainly online.

jason

I took a senior level physics course in optics (Optics by Hecht) before taking any upper-level E&M and it was manageable, but I can't really speak or a graduate level engineering course. I had to spend some time catching up on classical EM wave propagation things, but the first couple weeks of the class were reviewing that anyway. What topics will your course be covering? I think that's important. Also, what book will you be using?

Related to Optics for Graduate Engineering: Pre-Req E&M Knowledge?

1. What is the purpose of studying optics in graduate engineering?

The study of optics in graduate engineering is essential for understanding the behavior of light and its interactions with matter. It is also crucial for developing technologies such as lasers, imaging systems, and fiber optics, which have numerous applications in various industries.

2. What are the prerequisites for studying optics in graduate engineering?

The main prerequisite for studying optics in graduate engineering is a strong background in electromagnetic theory, particularly in the areas of Maxwell's equations and wave propagation. This knowledge is necessary for understanding the fundamental principles of optics and its applications in engineering.

3. What are some key concepts that one should be familiar with before studying optics in graduate engineering?

Before studying optics in graduate engineering, one should have a good understanding of topics such as vector calculus, differential equations, and Fourier analysis. These concepts are used extensively in optics and are essential for solving problems and understanding the behavior of light.

4. What are some common applications of optics in engineering?

Optics has a wide range of applications in engineering, including telecommunications, medical imaging, remote sensing, and manufacturing. It is also used in the design of optical components and systems for various industries, such as aerospace, defense, and consumer electronics.

5. Are there any specific skills or techniques that are necessary for studying optics in graduate engineering?

Some key skills and techniques that are necessary for studying optics in graduate engineering include mathematical modeling, experimental design, data analysis, and computer programming. These skills are essential for conducting research and solving complex problems in the field of optics.