Optics question. Given Diameter and object distance find image distance.

In summary, Optics is the branch of physics that deals with the behavior and properties of light, including its interactions with matter and the construction of instruments that use or detect it. The diameter and object distance in optics determine the size of the image formed by an optical system, with increasing object distance resulting in a decrease in image size and increasing diameter resulting in an increase in image size. The image distance in optics can be calculated using the formula: 1/image distance = 1/object distance + 1/focal length, and it is important in determining the magnification, clarity, and position of the image formed, as well as in designing and optimizing optical instruments. In some cases, the image distance can be negative, but in most cases
mfreeman91
An object is 9.79 cm from the surface of a reflective spherical Christmas-tree ornament 8.96 cm in diameter.
What is the position of the image? Answer in units of cm

I know that i need the radius of curvature to find the position of the image, but I'm not sure how to get that from the diameter? I tried just dividing by 2, but it says it is wrong. I just need help on finding the radius of curvature please, thanks!

Science news on Phys.org
Nevermind!

1. What is Optics?

Optics is the branch of physics that deals with the behavior and properties of light, including its interactions with matter and the construction of instruments that use or detect it.

2. What is the relationship between diameter and object distance in optics?

The diameter and object distance determine the size of the image formed by an optical system. As the object distance increases, the image size decreases; and as the diameter increases, the image size also increases.

3. How do you calculate image distance in optics?

The image distance can be calculated using the formula: 1/image distance = 1/object distance + 1/focal length, where the focal length is a characteristic property of the optical system used.

4. What is the importance of knowing image distance in optics?

Knowing the image distance is important in determining the magnification, clarity, and position of the image formed by an optical system. It also helps in designing and optimizing optical instruments for specific purposes.

5. Can the image distance be negative in optics?

Yes, the image distance can be negative in some cases, such as when the image formed by an optical system is virtual (not physically present) or when the image is formed on the same side as the object. However, in most cases, the image distance is positive.