[optics] reflection and refraction

In summary, when considering light as an electromagnetic wave, it is difficult to imagine how it can be reflected or refracted when meeting a surface with a different refractive index. It just seems illogical to me that something material can affect something that is not material. The only explanation that I could come to is that the surface creates its own electromagnetic waves and the reflected and refracted wave is really a vector addition of these two waves. However, I do not think this is a good explanation. Additionally, I don't understand the change in speed of electromagnetic waves after crossing a surface with a different refractive index. Two main questions are why does it change and does it change in a infinitely small time range or is the wave beginning to brake until its
rahl___
i have a problem with understanding the phenomenon of reflection and refraction of light.
when considering light as a electromagnetic wave i cannot imagine how it can be reflected or refracted when meeting a surface of different refractive index. it just sounds illogical to me that sth material can affect something that is not material. the only answer i came to is that the surface creates its own electromagnetic waves and the reflected and refracted wave is really a vector addition of these two waves, but i don't think that this is a good answer.

another thing that i don't understand is the change of speed of electromagnetic wave after crossing the surface with different refractive index. two main questions are: "why does it change" and "does it change in a infinitely small time range or is the wave beginning to brake until its speed is proper for it's new spreading material"

when I'm considering light as a beam of fotons, the reflection and refraction doesn't leave such confusion.
as it goes to changing the speed of fotons - I've heard that that this change is apparent, that the collisions between fotons and atoms from the surface and the reactions of absorption and emission creates this illusion of changing of the speed, which is really constant. is that true?

sorry for any grammar&spelling mistakes

Science news on Phys.org
rahl___ said:
another thing that i don't understand is the change of speed of electromagnetic wave after crossing the surface with different refractive index. two main questions are: "why does it change" and "does it change in a infinitely small time range or is the wave beginning to brake until its speed is proper for it's new spreading material"

when I'm considering light as a beam of fotons, the reflection and refraction doesn't leave such confusion.
as it goes to changing the speed of fotons - I've heard that that this change is apparent, that the collisions between fotons and atoms from the surface and the reactions of absorption and emission creates this illusion of changing of the speed, which is really constant. is that true?

Read the FAQ in the General Physics sub-forum.

Zz.

It's spelt photons, not fotons. :rolleyes: .

Did you know that the laws of reflection and refraction arise purely from conservation of momentum and conservation of energy arguments?

Claude.

What is reflection?

Reflection is the process by which light bounces off a surface and changes direction. This can happen with smooth surfaces, such as a mirror, or rough surfaces, such as a piece of paper.

What is refraction?

Refraction is the bending of light as it passes through different materials with different densities, such as air and water. This causes the light to change direction.

How are reflection and refraction related?

Reflection and refraction are both properties of light and can happen simultaneously. When light hits a surface, some of it may be reflected and some may be refracted, depending on the angle of incidence and the material it is passing through.

What is the law of reflection?

The law of reflection states that the angle of incidence, or the angle at which light hits a surface, is equal to the angle of reflection, or the angle at which it bounces off the surface. This law applies to all types of reflection, including specular (mirror-like) and diffuse (rough surface) reflection.

How does refraction affect the appearance of objects?

Refraction can cause objects to appear distorted or bent when viewed through different mediums. This is why objects may appear differently when viewed through water or a glass lens. Refraction can also cause optical illusions, such as the appearance of a bent pencil in a glass of water.