1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Optics Tricky Question

1. Jan 26, 2008 #1
    Hey, on my test today on the bonus question was asking : if a light ray shines at 50 degrees into a diamond then enters air at what angle? n for diamond = 2.5
    n for air = 1.00.

I know the answer is total internal reflection cause i guessed it and got it right, but how do you prove it and how do u knw if it is total internal reflection?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 26, 2008 #2
    also if you use the formula ni sin theta i= nr sin theta r you end up not being able to complete the formula
  4. Jan 26, 2008 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, what is the criterion for Total Internal Reflection? You should know this. It occurs when a light ray is moving from a more optically dense medium (n2 below) into a less optically dense medium (smaller index of refraction n1 below), and the angle of incidence is so large, that Snell's law breaks down...it produces a sine for the refracted angle that is greater than one. In fact, the critical angle occurs when the sine is equal to one. In other words:

[tex] n_2 \sin \theta_2 = n_1 \sin \theta_1 [/tex]

[tex] \frac{n_2}{n_1} \sin \theta_2 = \sin \theta_1 = 1 [/tex]

[tex] \sin \theta_2 = \frac{n_1}{n_2} [/tex]

[tex] \theta_2 = \theta_{\textrm{critical}} = \sin^{-1}\left(\frac{n_1}{n_2}\right) [/tex]

This is the critical angle...for angles larger than this, the angle of the refracted ray is undefined...and there is no refracted ray. Instead, total internal reflection occurs.
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?