Optics : White light incident on water drop

In summary: So light does not scatter.What do you mean by above ?@haruspex, what would happen if ray is incident at some angle ?If the rain drop is regularly spherical then there is no colour dispersion occur.Snell's law .OK . I got your point . But what if the incident ray is at some angle to horizontal ?Do you mean, at some angle to the normal? Then there would be deviation, dispersion, and maybe internal reflection.Reflect on the first surfaceEmerges from the other surface Note that a partial reflection also takes place on the surfacesReflect on the first surfaceEmerges from the other surfaceNote that
Jahnavi
?temp_hash=8e66240bed53f50fc101432bd2cd93ea.png
1. Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I know that if white light is incident on a triangular prism , then lights of different wavelengths are deviated by different amounts and dispersion occurs .

But I am not sure what would happen in this case where we have a spherical drop .

Please help me understand this conceptual question.

Attachments

• drop.png
    drop.png
    18.1 KB · Views: 393
Physics news on Phys.org
What law determines the deviation?

Likes Jahnavi
haruspex said:

Snell's law .

OK . I got your point . But what if the incident ray is at some angle to horizontal ?

Last edited:
Jahnavi said:
View attachment 206690 1. Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I know that if white light is incident on a triangular prism , then lights of different wavelengths are deviated by different amounts and dispersion occurs .

But I am not sure what would happen in this case where we have a spherical drop .

Please help me understand this conceptual question.
A is correct answer. if it the spherical considered as regular.if it is not the answer be B.

haruspex said:
nothing law is necessary for determining the deviation.

sanujan said:
A is correct answer. if it the spherical considered as regular.if it is not the answer be B.

What is your reasoning ?

Jahnavi said:
What is your reasoning ?
draw perpendicular line for the circle it will goes through the radius of the circle and the normal also in the line of radius.and the light incident on spherical through radius.
i think u know that any of light ray do not deflect when incident through normal line

sanujan said:
if it is not the answer be B.

What do you mean by above ?

@haruspex , what would happen if ray is incident at some angle ?

If the rain drop is regularly spherical then there is no colour dispersion occur.

Jahnavi said:
Snell's law .

OK . I got your point . But what if the incident ray is at some angle to horizontal ?
Do you mean, at some angle to the normal? Then there would be deviation, dispersion, and maybe internal reflection.

Likes Jahnavi
Reflect on the first surface
Emerges from the other surface
Note that a partial reflection also takes place on the surfaces

sanujan said:
Reflect on the first surface
Emerges from the other surface
Note that a partial reflection also takes place on the surfaces
Yes, but I don't think that is what B is referring to.

sanujan said:
nothing law is necessary for determining the deviation.
Snell's law gives the answer. It might or might not be necessary to appeal to that.

In a water drop there is no full molecules or full of space

1. How does white light behave when it hits a water drop?

When white light hits a water drop, it is refracted (bent) as it enters the drop, and then reflects off the back of the drop. This reflection causes the different colors in white light to separate, creating a rainbow effect.

2. Why do we see different colors when white light is incident on a water drop?

The separation of colors is due to the different wavelengths of light being refracted and reflected at different angles. This phenomenon is known as dispersion.

3. Can the angle at which white light hits the water drop affect the colors we see in the rainbow?

Yes, the angle at which the light hits the water drop determines the angle at which it is refracted and reflected, thus changing the colors we see in the rainbow. This is why the rainbow appears to move as we change our viewing angle.

4. How does the size of the water drop affect the rainbow?

The larger the water drop, the more it refracts and reflects the light, resulting in a larger and brighter rainbow. However, if the drop is too large, the colors may overlap and appear white instead of separated.

5. Can we see a rainbow when white light is incident on other liquids besides water?

Yes, the same principle of refraction and reflection applies to other liquids, but the colors may not be as vibrant or distinct as they are with water. The composition and density of the liquid can also affect the appearance of the rainbow.