Find radius and height of cone cup holding 30 cm³ using least paper

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 5K views
disque
Messages
29
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A cone-shaped paper drinking cup is to be made to hold 30 cm3 of water. Find the height and radius of the cup that will use the smallest amount of paper.


Homework Equations


volume of a cone (1/3)(pi)(r^2)(h) = 30
SA of a cone pi(r)[sqrt(r^2 + h^2)]


The Attempt at a Solution


solve volume for h
plug h into SA
derive SA
calculate r
solve for h

I'm understanding how to do it, I just can't get the right answers.
 
Physics news on Phys.org


h = 90/(pir^2)

derivative of SA = 2pi*pir^2*r^2+90pi, denominator not needed, setting equal to zero.
 


I got a different derivative (even after clearing out some denominators).