Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Optimization/maximization with multivariable calculus

1. Nov 26, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Maximize the Riemann Sum [tex]\Sigma[/tex] [tex]^{n}_{i=1}[/tex] x[tex]{i}[/tex]*y[tex]{i}[/tex] subject to constraints [tex]\Sigma[/tex] [tex]^{n}_{i=1}[/tex] x[tex]^{2}_{i}[/tex]=1 and [tex]\Sigma[/tex] [tex]^{n}_{i=1}[/tex] y[tex]^{2}_{i}[/tex]=1
    2. Relevant equations
    My teacher doesn't speak English very well. I'm in Calculus 3 and the average on his exams are around 40%. I'm a good Engineering student and need help. In class, we did an optimization problem where you can maximize the volume of say a box since you know length, width, height. We never went over this and I'm wondering how to do this. Despite him teaching us derivatives in that section, should I approach by doing integration and find the bounded region of x^2 and y^2 individually? Limits were never taught that much in high school so I really would appreciate your help.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Maybe try the partial derivatives of the last two equations with respect to x and y, then set them to zero to find critical points? That's the only way I knew how to find local max and absolute max. Please help if you can. Thanks guys.

2. jcsd
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted