1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Optimization/maximization with multivariable calculus

1. Nov 26, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Maximize the Riemann Sum [tex]\Sigma[/tex] [tex]^{n}_{i=1}[/tex] x[tex]{i}[/tex]*y[tex]{i}[/tex] subject to constraints [tex]\Sigma[/tex] [tex]^{n}_{i=1}[/tex] x[tex]^{2}_{i}[/tex]=1 and [tex]\Sigma[/tex] [tex]^{n}_{i=1}[/tex] y[tex]^{2}_{i}[/tex]=1
    2. Relevant equations
    My teacher doesn't speak English very well. I'm in Calculus 3 and the average on his exams are around 40%. I'm a good Engineering student and need help. In class, we did an optimization problem where you can maximize the volume of say a box since you know length, width, height. We never went over this and I'm wondering how to do this. Despite him teaching us derivatives in that section, should I approach by doing integration and find the bounded region of x^2 and y^2 individually? Limits were never taught that much in high school so I really would appreciate your help.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Maybe try the partial derivatives of the last two equations with respect to x and y, then set them to zero to find critical points? That's the only way I knew how to find local max and absolute max. Please help if you can. Thanks guys.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?