1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Optimize function over unit ball

1. Aug 11, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the maximum and minimum value of the function, defined over x2 + y2 + z2 [itex]\leq[/itex] 1.
    x [itex]\geq[/itex] 0, y [itex]\geq[/itex] 0, y [itex]\geq[/itex] 0.

2. Relevant equations
    f(x,y,z) = xy(z+1)

3. The attempt at a solution
    [itex]\nabla[/itex]f = (y(z+1), x(z+1), xy) = 0
    Gets me (0, y, -1), (x, 0, -1), (0, 0, z) and they all result in f(x,y,z) = 0.
    Then I wasn't sure how to find the values on the sphere.
    What I did was I switched to spherical coordinates with r = 1 and plugged them into the eq.
    f([itex]\theta[/itex], [itex]\varphi[/itex]) = sin2[itex]\theta[/itex](cos[itex]\theta[/itex] + 1)cos[itex]\varphi[/itex]sin[itex]\varphi[/itex].
    Then it's rather obvious that to get max, [itex]\theta[/itex] = +-[itex]\pi[/itex]/2 and [itex]\varphi[/itex] = [itex]\pi[/itex]/4.
    Plugging that back into the cartesian coordinates and into the function gives +- 1/2.
    Maximum is supposed to be 16/27 and minimum 0.

By the way, this problem comes before the problems that are about optimizing functions with constraints. So no need to use the lagrange multiplier.

Any ideas? :)

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 11, 2011 #2

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

To do it in cartesian coordinates, try substituting [itex]z = \sqrt{1 - x^2 - y^2}[/itex] into the formula for [itex]f[/itex] and maximizing with respect to [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]y[/itex].

Your spherical coordinate formula is right, but you didn't maximize it correctly.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2011
  4. Aug 11, 2011 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Look at f(x,y,z). For x , y and z >= 0, all its factors are >= 0, so f >= 0. Since you can have f = 0 (for example, by taking x=0 or y=0, etc.) the minimum value is f = 0. The gradient of f need not be zero at these minimizing points. Now consider the case f(x0,y0,z0) > 0 (so x0 > 0, y0 > 0 and z0 < -1). If x0^2 + y0^2 + z0^2 < 1 we can set x = c*x0, y = c*y0 and z = z0 to get f(cx0,cy0,z0) = c^2*f(x0,y0,z0) > f(x0,y0,z0) if c > 1. Increase c until we have c^2(x0^2 + y0^2) + z0^2 = 1, and the resulting point (x,y,z) will have a larger f-value than (x0,y0,z0). In other words, the solution to the max f problem must *always* lie on the boundary x^2 + y^2 + z^2 = 1.

RGV

5. Aug 12, 2011 #4
    I think I understand, but how does that help us find the point at which maximum occurs?
    My problem is, I don't know how to analyze the border when the border is a surface.

I tried substituting for [itex]z = \sqrt{1 - x^2 - y^2}[/itex] but that makes it kinda complicated, is there no faster/easier way?

When you say maximizing with respect to [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]y[/itex], do you mean setting the gradient of [itex]f(x, y, h(x, y))[/itex] to 0? where [itex]h(x, y) = \sqrt{1 - x^2 - y^2}[/itex].

6. Aug 12, 2011 #5
    Substitution and then setting gradient to 0 got me (x, y) = (+- 1, +- 1) for which z = sqrt(-1)...

7. Aug 12, 2011 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

For the surface, I would use a Lagrange multiplier method: you want to maximize f(x,y,z)= xy(z+ 1) subject to the condition that [itex]g(x,y,z)= x^2+ y^2+ z^2= 1[/itex]
    That will happen the two gradient vectors are parallel- when [itex]\nabla f= \lambda \nabla g[/itex] for some constant [itex]\lambda[/itex].

8. Aug 12, 2011 #7

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, exactly, since you are not yet "allowed" to use Lagrange multipliers.

RGV

9. Aug 12, 2011 #8

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What is your expression for the gradient?

For

[tex]g(x,y) = f(x,y,\sqrt{1-x^2-y^2}) = xy(\sqrt{1-x^2-y^2} + 1)[/tex]

I get

[tex]\frac{\partial g}{\partial x} = y\left(\sqrt{1-x^2-y^2} + 1 - \frac{x^2}{\sqrt{1 - x^2 - y^2}}\right)[/tex]

and a similar expression for [itex]\partial g/\partial y[/itex]:

[tex]\frac{\partial g}{\partial y} = x\left(\sqrt{1-x^2-y^2} + 1 - \frac{y^2}{\sqrt{1 - x^2 - y^2}}\right)[/tex]

If [itex](x,y)[/itex] is a critical point, and [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]y[/itex] are nonzero, then the expressions in parentheses must be zero.

I'll let you fill in the details. After a bit of manipulation, you can show that [itex]x^2 = y^2[/itex], and then substituting this into each equation yields one equation that depends only on x, and another that depends only on y. I ended up getting [itex](x,y) = (\pm 2/3, \pm 2/3)[/itex].

Last edited: Aug 12, 2011
  10. Aug 12, 2011 #9
    Oh, yes I got that too... but I think I forgot the " + 1" on the partial derivatives, which changed it all.

Right..., I tried the Lagrange multiplier and got that the right answer. Was just going to write how I did it, because I did something wrong at first and got something else. It's crazy how many mistakes I do sometimes...

Thanks all, now I understand it better!

I just hope I won't be keep making these "minor" mistakes on the exam...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook