Optimizing Hydrogen Atom Wave Function Expectation Values

In summary, the conversation discussed the optimization of a wave function for a Hydrogen atom, with a focus on determining the expectation values for kinetic and potential energy. The process involved using integration in spherical coordinates and applying the Laplace operator. The conversation also touched on the concept of expectation value and how to find it using the correct notation.
Lunar_Lander
"Optimizing" a Wave Function

Homework Statement

Consider a Hydrogen Atom, an electron in an attractive Coulomb potential of the form [itex]V(r)=-\frac{e_0^2}{4\pi\epsilon_0r}[/itex], where e0 is the elementary charge. Assume the following wave function for the electron (with α>0):
[itex]\psi(r)=Ae^{-\alpha r}[/itex].

a) Determine the expectation value for the kinetic energy.
b) Determine the expectation value for the potential energy.
c) The expectation value of the total energy seems to be given by the sum of the results of a) and b). Plot the dependency of the kinetic, potential and total energy to α. Minimize the total energy in respect to α. If your calculations are correct, you will obtain the energy of the 1s state.

Homework Equations

[itex]H=\frac{p^2}{2m}+V(r)[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I am quite sure what to do in c), that it is required to calculate the derivative of the total energy function to alpha and then find the minimum of that. However, I need to get some help with a) and b). I know so far that the expectation value is calculated like this:

[itex]<V>=<\psi|V|\psi>=\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \psi\cdot V\cdot \psi~dr,[/itex]

and that in a), the Laplace operator needs to be applied in spherical coordinates. But how exactly is the integration done?

I would be grateful if someone could explain that, as I find the idea of integrating from negative to positive infinity somewhat puzzling.

Physics news on Phys.org

The integral is over all space, so what you should have is
$$\langle V \rangle = \int \psi^*(\vec{r}) V(\vec{r}) \psi(\vec{r})\,d^3\vec{r}$$In spherical coordinates, this becomes
$$\langle V \rangle = \int_0^\infty \int_0^\pi \int_0^{2\pi} \psi^*(\vec{r}) V(\vec{r}) \psi(\vec{r})\,r^2\sin\theta\,d\phi\,d\theta\,dr$$

Thank you Vela! Would it maybe be possible for one of you to show me just how to correctly do this calculation, because my problem is that I usually need a good example and explanation on how to calculate complex things. When I look at calculations in books, those are usually good, but when I then try to apply the methods given there to problems, I usually don't get far.

I attempted though to do the integration you gave me, but I am not sure if it is correct (thus my request there).

[itex]<V>=\int\int\int -\psi^2 r^2 \sin\theta \frac{e_0^2}{4\pi\epsilon_0 r}dr d\theta d\phi[/itex]
Then I did the integrations of θ and Phi and also put the values that are constants in front of the integral:
[itex]-4\pi \frac{e_0^2}{4\pi\epsilon_0} \int \psi^2 r^2 \frac{1}{r}dr [/itex]
[itex]-4\pi \frac{e_0^2}{4\pi\epsilon_0}\cdot A^2 \int \exp(-2\alpha\cdot r) r^2 \frac{1}{r}dr [/itex]

Is this even correct? I am feeling a bit lost, sorry.

That looks fine so far. Simplify the integrand and then integrate.

So, I am getting this:

[itex]-4\pi\cdot A^2\frac{e_0^2}{4\pi\epsilon_0}\int \exp(-\alpha\cdot r)\cdot r~dr[/itex]
[itex]-A^2\frac{e_0^2}{\epsilon_0}\int \exp(-\alpha\cdot r)\cdot r~dr[/itex]
and
[itex]A^2\frac{e_0^2}{\epsilon_0}\cdot \frac{1-\exp(-\alpha\cdot r)\cdot (\alpha\cdot r+1)}{\alpha^2}[/itex]

Is this correct? If yes I'd continue on the kinetic energy, would this be:

[itex]<T>=-\int\int\int r^2\cdot\sin(\theta)\cdot\psi^2\cdot\frac{\hbar}{2m}\Delta~dr~d\theta~d\phi[/itex]
?

Lunar_Lander said:
So, I am getting this:

[itex]-4\pi\cdot A^2\frac{e_0^2}{4\pi\epsilon_0}\int \exp(-\alpha\cdot r)\cdot r~dr[/itex]
[itex]-A^2\frac{e_0^2}{\epsilon_0}\int \exp(-\alpha\cdot r)\cdot r~dr[/itex]
and
[itex]A^2\frac{e_0^2}{\epsilon_0}\cdot \frac{1-\exp(-\alpha\cdot r)\cdot (\alpha\cdot r+1)}{\alpha^2}[/itex]

Is this correct?
You need to plug the limits in. I didn't check to see if the antiderivative you came up with is correct.
If yes I'd continue on the kinetic energy, would this be:

[itex]<T>=-\int\int\int r^2\cdot\sin(\theta)\cdot\psi^2\cdot\frac{\hbar}{2m}\Delta~dr~d\theta~d\phi[/itex]
?
No, that doesn't make sense. What is Δ supposed to be acting on?

Sorry, I had once seen this notation ([itex]T=\frac{\hbar}{2m}\Delta[/itex]) somewhere. Would it rather be:

[itex]<T>=-\int\int\int r^2\cdot\sin(\theta)\cdot\psi^2\cdot\frac{\hbar}{2m}\Delta\psi~dr~d\theta~d\phi[/itex] ?

I'll try the limits later on, but thanks for the help already :)!

Last edited:

Lunar_Lander said:
Sorry, I had once seen this notation ([itex]T=\frac{\hbar}{2m}\Delta[/itex]) somewhere. Would it rather be:

[itex]<T>=-\int\int\int r^2\cdot\sin(\theta)\cdot\psi^2\cdot\frac{\hbar}{2m}\Delta\psi~dr~d\theta~d\phi[/itex] ?

I'll try the limits later on, but thanks for the help already :)!

You just have to be more careful with expectation value notation. That is, for an expectation value you sandwich the operator T between [itex]\psi[/itex] and its conjugate. So the kinetic energy operator (or equivalently, the momentum operator squared) is acting on [itex]\psi[/itex] only.

I think I got <V>, the first solution I posted was from the indefinite integral.

[itex]A^2\frac{e_0^2}{\epsilon_0}\int_0^{\infty}\exp(-2\alpha~r)r~dr[/itex]

[itex]A^2\frac{e_0^2}{\epsilon_0}\cdot\frac{1}{4\alpha^2}=\frac{e_0^2\alpha}{4\pi\epsilon_0}[/itex].

Also, A can be found by normalizing the original wave function:

[itex]1=\int_0^{\infty}\int_0^{\pi}\int_0^{2\pi}\psi^2r^2\sin(\theta)~dr~d\theta~d\varphi[/itex]

[itex]1=\int_0^{\infty}\int_0^{\pi}\int_0^{2\pi}A^2\exp(-2\alpha~r)r^2\sin(\theta)~dr~d\theta~d\varphi[/itex]

[itex]1=2\pi\int_0^{\infty}\int_0^{\pi}A^2\exp(-2\alpha~r)r^2\sin(\theta)~dr~d\theta[/itex]

[itex]1=4\pi\int_0^{\infty}A^2\exp(-2\alpha~r)r^2~dr[/itex]

[itex]1=4\pi~A^2\frac{1}{4\alpha^3}[/itex]

[itex]A=\sqrt{\frac{\alpha^3}{\pi}}[/itex]

That looks right, except that you dropped the overall negative sign.

You should find the expected value for the kinetic energy is half that in magnitude. Did you come up with the correct expression for ##\langle T \rangle##?

Related to Optimizing Hydrogen Atom Wave Function Expectation Values

What is a wave function and why is it important in science?

A wave function is a mathematical representation of the quantum state of a system. It describes the probability of finding a particle in a certain location and with a certain momentum. It is important in science because it is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics and is used to make predictions about the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level.

Why is optimizing a wave function necessary?

Optimizing a wave function involves finding the most accurate and efficient mathematical representation of a system's quantum state. This is necessary because it allows scientists to make more accurate predictions about the behavior of particles and can lead to a better understanding of the underlying physical processes.

What methods are commonly used to optimize a wave function?

There are several methods used to optimize a wave function, including variational Monte Carlo methods, stochastic variational methods, and diffusion Monte Carlo methods. Each method has its own advantages and is used in different situations depending on the complexity of the system being studied.

What factors can affect the accuracy of an optimized wave function?

Several factors can affect the accuracy of an optimized wave function, including the choice of optimization method, the complexity of the system being studied, and the accuracy of the input parameters used in the optimization process. Additionally, the choice of basis set and the inclusion of correlation effects can also impact the accuracy of the wave function.

How can optimizing a wave function contribute to advancements in science and technology?

By accurately optimizing a wave function, scientists can gain a better understanding of the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level. This can lead to advancements in fields such as materials science, chemistry, and quantum computing. It can also help in the development of new technologies, such as more efficient solar cells and stronger and lighter materials for aerospace applications.