Optimizing Multiplexing for High Frequency Analog Signals

In summary, using a low capacitance multiplexer may be a good option for minimizing crosstalk, but there may be other ways to achieve the same goal. Be careful in the layout of the PCB and use individual analog switches to minimize crosstalk. If the signals are going to be used in analog form at the destination, be sure to buffer them individually.
Topher925
I have an application that requires me to multiplex between >7 sinusoidal signals (15v ~1-100kHz) with as little distortion as possible. I'm not really sure what would be the best way to go about doing this though. My first thought would be to simply use a low capacitance multiplexer, like http://www.analog.com/static/imported-files/data_sheets/ADG1206_1207.pdf" But I'm concerned that using such a small IC and combining all the signals into such a small area is going to generate some crosstalk between the channels. I would like to avoid designing my own circuit as IC's designed by actual electrical engineers will always do a better job than me but I'm wondering if there is a better way? If I do end up using a ADG1207 are there any "tricks" to the PCB design that I could do to minimize crosstalk and distortion?

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Is there a good reason why you don't want to digitise the signals then multiplex them? Your bandwidth requirement seems well within the capabilities of readily available devices and it would take care of crosstalk. Are the signals going to be used in analogue form at the destination?

sophiecentaur said:
Are the signals going to be used in analogue form at the destination?

Yes. The signals will be fed into a lock-in amplifier which does not accept a digitized input.

Topher925 said:
I have an application that requires me to multiplex between >7 sinusoidal signals (15v ~1-100kHz) with as little distortion as possible. I'm not really sure what would be the best way to go about doing this though. My first thought would be to simply use a low capacitance multiplexer, like http://www.analog.com/static/imported-files/data_sheets/ADG1206_1207.pdf" But I'm concerned that using such a small IC and combining all the signals into such a small area is going to generate some crosstalk between the channels. I would like to avoid designing my own circuit as IC's designed by actual electrical engineers will always do a better job than me but I'm wondering if there is a better way? If I do end up using a ADG1207 are there any "tricks" to the PCB design that I could do to minimize crosstalk and distortion?

To minimize crosstalk, use individual analog switches, and be careful in the layout to have ground guarding between them and their inputs. You generally can't do as good a job of ground guarding the signals when you use a single large analog MUX.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the reply berkeman, but what exactly do you mean by "ground guarding". Do you mean isolating the ground for each signal input and switch?

By ground guarding, I mean surrounding the sensitive traces with ground pours. On the same layer, you will pour ground in the open spaces between the sensitive traces (and keep those traces apart from each other as much as practical). Keep the sensitive traces on the top layer with the switch ICs, and make your inner layer closest to the top layer your ground layer. That's usually your ground inner layer anyway, when you are running high-speed signals on the top layer between ICs, because you want to control your Zo geometry.

In your case, you are making that uppermost inner layer ground to help with the ground guarding. The top layer interstitial ground pours and the inner layer ground plane help to minimize the capacitance between the sensitive traces, which cuts the crosstalk down. The capacitance from a sensitive trace to ground dominates, compared to the capacitance between the sensitive traces.

It might also help to be sure that the sensitive signals are buffered individually before they are routed to the part of the PCB where the multiple analog switch ICs are. But that would only help if the signals were coming from a higher-impedance source, not if they are already coming from low-impedance buffers or amps.

Also be careful not to share any power or ground impedance between the separate signal sources or in the routing. The signals should approach the MUX area of the PCB in kind of a fan-in pattern, with the power and ground being routed from near the MUX area out to the sources of the signals. So for example, you would not put the power supply section in the upper left of the PCB, with the signal buffer circuits lined up along the left part of the PCB, since the bottom amp will share ground impedance with all of the amps above it and vise-versa. It's better to put the power supply circuit near the middle of the PCB, between the analog input and analog output areas.

Maybe post a floorplan of the PCB when you get farther along, and we can comment.

Last edited:
Oh, and stitch the top layer ground pours with vias to the inner ground plane, with enough stitches to ensure good ground integrity at whatever frequencies you're working at.

Also, I've had good luck with the MAX4644 analog switches. I used them in a recent emulator board for a mixed signal ASIC, and they performed well. They're a little pricey though.

Thanks for the advice. I'll post a PDF of the basic layout as soon as I get it figured out.

The MAX4644 does look like a nice chip but I need +15v operation.

The two weirdnesses I've seen with this are:
1. What leaks through the "off" switches
and
2. little glitches that occur when the switches transition.

As for distortion, make sure that your signal level stays away from the switche's power supply rails and that you've got your supplies and drive levels correct ( I once had everything else right, but the drive level was wrong and had trouble ). Also, don't pass current through your switch (i.e. follow with a non-inverting op amp circuit instead of a summing node).

Getting back to the cross talk, I found a method that serves me pretty well. Place a 2:1 switch on each incoming line before multiplexing. On each channel, run the normally open positon of the switch to the incoming channel and the normaly closed position to the signal ground. This will load the output line when you have that channel turned off and keep you from having to worry about stray pick up.

Then, follow with 8:1 mux, or if you're running differential signals, (always best for fast and easy success) use two 2:1 for each channel and two 8:1 muxes.

As for the glitch issue, it only happens during switching and the easiest way to mitigate it is for use parts with a 5 pico-Coulomb (or less) charge injection and go with a differential signal.

Now, if you like most of use, you're using a lock in amp because your signal is small and is close to totally buried in the noise. The muxes and their associated digital circuits will do wonders to make this problem worse. So, you probably want some low noise gain before you go into the mux circuits.

Best luck with it, I wish you well

- Mike

Mike_In_Plano said:
Getting back to the cross talk, I found a method that serves me pretty well. Place a 2:1 switch on each incoming line before multiplexing. On each channel, run the normally open positon of the switch to the incoming channel and the normaly closed position to the signal ground. This will load the output line when you have that channel turned off and keep you from having to worry about stray pick up.

That's a great idea, Mike. Thanks.

Mike_In_Plano said:
I found a method that serves me pretty well. Place a 2:1 switch on each incoming line before multiplexing. On each channel, run the normally open positon of the switch to the incoming channel and the normaly closed position to the signal ground. This will load the output line when you have that channel turned off and keep you from having to worry about stray pick up.

berkeman said:
That is a great idea. I wish I would have thought of that back in the '70s when I was designing this music synthesizer that mixed 8 audio signal to 1. Then filtering this output and mixing those components again with another 8 to 1 analog switch. However the cross talk issue wasn't too noticeable for this application.

These analog muxes always specify crosstalk. Here, on page 3 of the OP's ADG1207, the spec is 85 db. In most cases that come to mind that is ample, so I wouldn't second guess the mux itself, and instead concentrate on preparing the incoming signals (terminate when not selected, and/or add gain) as Mike-I-P suggests.

berkeman said:

That is a great idea. I'm working it into my design right now.

Mike_In_Plano said:
Now, if you like most of use, you're using a lock in amp because your signal is small and is close to totally buried in the noise. The muxes and their associated digital circuits will do wonders to make this problem worse. So, you probably want some low noise gain before you go into the mux circuits.

I probably should have mentioned that I have low noise gain coming out the wazoo before the muxes. The low-noise gain circuit I had designed for this project uses a common ground but I'm thinking about redesigning things to make everything completely differential or perhaps just differential after last op-amp. In this case I want fast and guaranteed results, don't really care so much about how elegant or cheap things are.

Related to Optimizing Multiplexing for High Frequency Analog Signals

What is multiplexing?

Multiplexing is a technique used in telecommunications and data transmission to combine multiple signals into a single transmission medium. In the case of analog signals, multiplexing allows multiple signals to be transmitted over a single physical channel.

Why is multiplexing important for analog signals?

Multiplexing is important for analog signals because it allows for efficient use of the limited bandwidth available in a transmission medium. By combining multiple analog signals into a single transmission, the overall amount of bandwidth needed is reduced, making it possible to transmit more information in a given amount of time.

What are the different types of multiplexing for analog signals?

The two main types of multiplexing for analog signals are time division multiplexing (TDM) and frequency division multiplexing (FDM). In TDM, each signal is assigned a specific time slot within a single transmission cycle. In FDM, each signal is assigned a specific frequency band within the overall bandwidth of the transmission medium.

What is the difference between analog and digital multiplexing?

Analog multiplexing combines multiple analog signals into a single transmission, while digital multiplexing combines multiple digital signals. Analog multiplexing is typically used for analog signals such as audio or video, while digital multiplexing is used for digital signals such as data or voice.

What are the advantages of multiplexing analog signals?

The main advantage of multiplexing analog signals is the efficient use of bandwidth, which allows for more information to be transmitted in a given amount of time. This is especially important in telecommunications and data transmission, where the available bandwidth is limited. Multiplexing also reduces the cost and complexity of transmission systems by minimizing the number of physical channels needed.