Optomization problem using integrals

• Thread starter Quisquis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrals
In summary, the problem involves two boats, one traveling south at 20 km/h and the other traveling east at 15 km/h. The objective is to determine the time at which the two boats are closest together. Instead of using integrals, a simpler approach using the formula d = rt is suggested. Drawing a picture and using the Pythagorean theorem, the distance between the two boats can be expressed as a function of time. By finding the minimum of this function, the time at which the two boats are closest can be determined. The integration constants are not a problem as their values can be easily solved for.
Quisquis

Homework Statement

A boat leaves a dock at 2:00 pm and travels due south at a speed of 20 km/h. Another
boat has been heading due east at 15 km/h and reaches the same dock at 3:00 pm. At
what time were the two boats closest together?

3. The Attempt at a Solution [/b

We actually don't need to use integrals for this(and we haven't really learned how), but I want to.

So a couple of quick questions...
first, integrating 20 equals 20t+c correct?

and second, either the 15km/h or the 20km/h should be negative, and it doesn't matter which one, right?

If those two things are true, I should be all set, if not, I might have more questions. :p

Thanks a lot for the help guys.

Physics news on Phys.org
You're overthinking this problem. Both boats are traveling at constant rates, so the distance they travel in t hours is going to be 15t km and 20t km, using the formula d = rt. That's all your integration has bought you, plus you have two constants of integration to worry about.

If you haven't drawn a picture, you should, and maybe two of them, one for the positions of the two boats at 2:00 and another for their positions at 3:00. You need an expression that represents the distance between the two boats, as a function of t, and that's what you have to minimize, using differentiation.

right, I have that position with the Pythagorean theorem. I have a^2+b^2=c^2. is a the position function of one boat and b the position function of the other boat? If that's the case, then I have c as a function of time if I integrate the velocities.

The integration constants aren't a problem, because I know the position of one boat at t=0 and the other at t=1 so I can solve for c pretty easily.

Then all I have to do is find the minimum of the Pythagorean function I created which looked to be 9/25.

I'd add more of the math I've done to make what I'm saying more clear, but with latex down... :/

1. What is an optimization problem using integrals?

An optimization problem using integrals is a mathematical problem that involves finding the maximum or minimum value of a function by using integration. It is commonly used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to optimize certain parameters.

2. How do you solve an optimization problem using integrals?

To solve an optimization problem using integrals, you first need to identify the function that represents the quantity you want to optimize. Then, take the derivative of this function and set it equal to zero. This will give you the critical points. Next, evaluate the second derivative of the function at each critical point to determine if it is a maximum or minimum. Finally, plug in the values of the critical points into the original function to find the optimal value.

3. What are some real-life applications of optimization problems using integrals?

Optimization problems using integrals are commonly used in real-life applications such as maximizing profits in economics, optimizing production processes in engineering, and finding the optimal trajectory in physics.

4. Can optimization problems using integrals have multiple solutions?

Yes, optimization problems using integrals can have multiple solutions. This can happen when the function has multiple critical points with the same value, or when the function has a flat region where the second derivative is equal to zero. In these cases, all the solutions must be evaluated to determine which one gives the optimal value.

5. Are there any limitations to using optimization problems using integrals?

One limitation of using optimization problems using integrals is that they can only be applied to continuous functions. Additionally, some problems may have complex or non-analytical solutions, making it difficult to find the optimal value using integrals. In these cases, other methods such as numerical optimization techniques may be more suitable.