Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Orbital Motion

1. Aug 29, 2016 #1
    So I'm really interested in orbital mechanics. I'm only 16 so my knowledge of physics is restricted to an intermediate level. If there is a planet with large mass and a planet with small mass they are attracted to each other... So imagine a system where the large mass is fixed and the small object has a constant velocity. How can I model (I'm a big programmer and would like to create a script for this) the path the object takes around the plant. I know this has to do with the balance between the Fg and the velocity...
    Thank you for any help.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 29, 2016 #2
    I would like to also point out that i don't want only circular orbits. I would like for the program to be able to compute all orbits easily computable

4. Aug 29, 2016 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Have fun! :smile:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orbital_mechanics

5. Aug 30, 2016 #4
    Thank you!

6. Aug 30, 2016 #5
    If the velocity is constant there is no path around the planet. Constant velocity means that the trajectory is a straight line. So there is nothing to program about it.
    It is not enough to be good at programming to solve physics problems. It helps a lot if you spend some time to understand the physics and the meaning of the terms used in physics.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted