Order of a permutation is the lcm of the orders of cycles

In summary, the conversation discusses how a permutation can be decomposed into a product of disjoint cycles that commute with each other. It is stated that if the permutation is raised to the power of its order, it will result in the identity permutation, and it is questioned how this can be used to show that the individual cycles must also be raised to the same power to result in the identity permutation. It is then simplified by considering a specific number that is transformed by one of the cycles, and it is concluded that the other disjoint cycles cannot reverse this transformation, thus proving that each cycle must be raised to the same power to result in the identity permutation.
Mr Davis 97
Let ##\sigma \in S_n##, and ##|\sigma| = r##. Then, we'll assume that ##\sigma## can be decomposed into a product of disjoint cycles, which commute with each other. So ##\sigma = c_1c_2 \dots c_k##. Then ##\sigma^r = (c_1c_2 \dots c_k)^r## = 1. Since the cycles commute, we have ##c_1^rc_2^r \dots c_k^r = 1##. Now, I am a little stumped. How can I conclude that ##c_1^r = c_2^r = \cdots = c_k^r = 1##?

Physics news on Phys.org
Mr Davis 97 said:
Let ##\sigma \in S_n##, and ##|\sigma| = r##. Then, we'll assume that ##\sigma## can be decomposed into a product of disjoint cycles, which commute with each other. So ##\sigma = c_1c_2 \dots c_k##. Then ##\sigma^r = (c_1c_2 \dots c_k)^r## = 1. Since the cycles commute, we have ##c_1^rc_2^r \dots c_k^r = 1##. Now, I am a little stumped. How can I conclude that ##c_1^r = c_2^r = \cdots = c_k^r = 1##?
Let's say we have the following order: ##n = \sigma^r (n)= (c_1c_2 \dots c_k)^r(n)= (c_1^r(c_2^r( \dots (c_k^r)(n)\ldots )##. Now assume ##n## is one of the numbers, which are transformed by ##c_k##. What can you say about ##c_k^r(n)## and why?

fresh_42 said:
Let's say we have the following order: ##n = \sigma^r (n)= (c_1c_2 \dots c_k)^r(n)= (c_1^r(c_2^r( \dots (c_k^r)(n)\ldots )##. Now assume ##n## is one of the numbers, which are transformed by ##c_k##. What can you say about ##c_k^r(n)## and why?
Well either ##c_k^r = 1## or ##c_k^r = (c_1^rc_2^r \dots c_{k-1}^r)^{-1} \ne 1##, but the latter is not possible because the cycles, their powers, and their inverses are all disjoint?

Concentrate on ##n##, a number which is transformed by ##c_k##. What do the consecutive ##c_i\, , \,i<k ## to ##c_k(n)## resp. ##c_k^r(n)\,?## Can they reverse the transformation done by ##c_k\,?##

fresh_42 said:
Concentrate on ##n##, a number which is transformed by ##c_k##. What do the consecutive ##c_i\, , \,i<k ## to ##c_k(n)## resp. ##c_k^r(n)\,?## Can they reverse the transformation done by ##c_k\,?##
Well... If ##C_k^r = (c_1^rc_2^r \dots c_{k-1}^r)## and ##c_k^r## are disjoint, then if ##n## is transformed by ##c_k^r## then ##C_k^r## can't possibly transform ##c_k^r(n)## back to ##n## (since we know ##C^r_k c^r_k = 1##, ##C^r_k## would have to). So ##c_k^r = 1##.

Mr Davis 97 said:
Well... If ##C_k^r = (c_1^rc_2^r \dots c_{k-1}^r)## and ##c_k^r## are disjoint, then if ##n## is transformed by ##c_k^r## then ##C_k^r## can't possibly transform ##c_k^r(n)## back to ##n## (since we know ##C^r_k c^r_k = 1##, ##C^r_k## would have to). So ##c_k^r = 1##.
You're thinking far too complicated. Say we have two disjoint permutations ##\sigma , \tau##. Now assume that ##\tau(n) = m##. So we have ##\sigma (\tau (n)) = \sigma (m)##. Do we already know the result of ##(\sigma \tau)(n)\,?##

1. What is the order of a permutation?

The order of a permutation refers to the number of elements in a set that are rearranged when the permutation is applied. In other words, it is the number of elements that are moved or changed in a permutation.

2. What is the meaning of "lcm" in the context of permutations?

"lcm" stands for "least common multiple" and is used to determine the order of a permutation. It is the smallest positive integer that is divisible by all of the orders of the cycles in a permutation.

3. How is the order of a permutation related to the orders of cycles?

The order of a permutation is equal to the least common multiple of the orders of all of the cycles in the permutation. This means that the order of a permutation is determined by the orders of its individual cycles.

4. Can the order of a permutation be greater than the number of elements in the set?

Yes, the order of a permutation can be greater than the number of elements in the set. This occurs when there are cycles in the permutation that are larger than the set itself, resulting in a lcm that is larger than the number of elements.

5. Why is the order of a permutation important in mathematics?

The order of a permutation is important in mathematics because it helps to understand the structure and behavior of groups and their subgroups. It also has applications in number theory, combinatorics, and cryptography.